Usb pens or Usb flash drive

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Dariusc123456

Usb pens or Usb flash drive

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Well, Im abit confuse. Is there a differents between usb pens and usb flash drives for the ps2? If there is, which one is good for the ps2? I have some files I would like to put on there for the psx exploit.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Wow, the ps2 scene has been dead lately.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Not development related. Would a mod please lock this thread.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

J.F, Out of all the non-development posts, you reply to mine? I just want to know what USB pen or flash drive to use for the ps2. I a new developer the the ps2 and will have alot of questions, so if you dont mine, can you give me a real answer?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Sorry, must have been a bad day. :)

The differences between USB pen drives and USB flash drives are the words "pen" and "flash". There's no difference. I guess not knowing that is what got me in a bad mood. That's something you expect developers to know.

As to compatibility, that would depend on what you're using to access the stick. I have yet to find a stick that didn't work with my PS2. I suppose a BIG stick (>= 4GB) might give trouble to the USB storage driver in the PS2 SDK. I don't know for certain how good it's large device support is. The largest USB stick I have is 2GB.

So the answer is I've tried sticks from 32MB to 2GB and they work fine. Beyond that, look at the FAT code for the USB storage in the PS2 repo to see if it handles > 2GB.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Where does it load at, or where can I view the files at on the ps2 at? And why you not in a good mood? Ill check on it.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Dariusc123456 wrote:Where does it load at, or where can I view the files at on the ps2 at? And why you not in a good mood? Ill check on it.
If you have a relatively new Swap Magic, it can run stuff off USB drives. Many people use that. I use the ID Exploit to run uLaunchElf off the memcard. uLaunchElf can run stuff from the USB as well. It can also copy stuff on/off the USB. I tend to recommend uLaunchElf for folks looking for something to copy stuff around and run homebrew on the PS2.

I was just saying that I wasn't feeling good for some reason that day, then ran across your post showing you didn't even know what a USB Pen/Flash drive was, which exacerbated my mood, leading to a harsh post. Sorry about that... I am trying to tone it down a bit.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

How can I load my programs from my usb drive, via magic swap? And how can I copy stuff from my usb to my playstation memory stick?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Dariusc123456 wrote:How can I load my programs from my usb drive, via magic swap? And how can I copy stuff from my usb to my playstation memory stick?
Swap Magic will run something from the USB - not sure of the details... consult some info on Swap Magic (google for it). The second you can do with uLaunchElf.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Well do you know how to copy the data from my usb to my memory stick? And how did people make the swap disc? I mean they have to have sony keys to load it so can load on the ps2.
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

Bleh...I try hard to not be rude, but this really doesn't belong here. I know it's been said before, but it's irritating to think there's legitimate PS2 development conversation going on, only to find out it's just more questioning about things like thumb drives and memory cards. This thread could at least be moved to General Discussion.
I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

I agree with you, LBGSHI. But what I find most annoying is the fact some people keep ignoring forum rules.

When they create an account they are informed PS2Dev forums are development forums and still they keep registering to ask non-development questions. Why people keep breaking simple rules? There are a »lot« of support sites for non-development matters (like the excellent psx-scene forums)... Everyone should have the right to their space, developers included!

Dariusc123456, if you're starting to develop, fine, you're welcome I guess we're glad to help you when requesting for help regarding development issues. But if you have generic questions that would fit better on another forum, please post there. I guess I cannot say this in other terms without looking rude also, but I just had to explain my point of view.
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

And now, people will enter the forum expecting PS2 development conversation, and find people bitching about non-development conversation :)

Perhaps we should request to mod this forum (not many others seem to be interested in PS2dev anymore, anyway).
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Well sorry about asking swap disc. You dont have to go all out like that . As long as sony sell the ps2, the scene should stay open til then. I know that many will not be on the ps2 development , but that doesnt mean to just close it down. I think that was the whole purpose of this site in the past, for ps2 homebrew development.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

ps2dev won't be closed down, but the case for closing/moving non dev threads will get greater.
The point was that since the ps2dev scene isn't that active right now, even one or two non-dev posts a month makes for a very low SNR. As stated for non-dev questions there are plenty of other forums.
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

Darius: I was referring to myself and/or cosmito requesting moderator rights on this forum (PS2 Development), so it could be kept up. There was no mention of removing or locking down the forum. I noted that not many people are interested in PS2 dev. anymore to highlight the fact that myself and cosmito are, and would be happy to keep the forum in proper order, and that it doesn't seem as if anyone else is interested in moderating the forum.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Well, I was really asking about the usb for the ps2. To me, this a development related post, to you, its like dust in the wind.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Dariusc123456 wrote:Well, I was really asking about the usb for the ps2. To me, this a development related post, to you, its like dust in the wind.
I disagree with you. If you were developing a USB driver or debugging the current driver or asking for help because you had a crash when trying to use it, then I would see that as a dev question.

Asking which models of USB pens are compatible, even if you plan to use one for dev purposes, I don't see as development related because it's a general usage issue (you could use a USB pen for development just like you can use it to backup memory cards). There are threads other forums about this, and nothing stops you from posing those questions there, and genuine dev questions here - just separate the waters, please.

Speaking for myself, you're perfectly welcome if you ask for development issues here.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Well, I heard about the usb pen from Action Replay, but didnt know if its the same to use as a usb flash drive. I ask on that forum, but many dont know and ask me to ask here.
jgrimm

Post by jgrimm »

Most any usb storage will work really but flash drive is best - some dont work but my sandisk cruzer micro 2gb does and i know alot of lexar ones are known to work