Will OpenGL Compile and Run Properly on PS2?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

SG_Sonic

Will OpenGL Compile and Run Properly on PS2?

Post by SG_Sonic »

Hello,

I was reading some of the tutorials, and I believe one of them was about 3d graphics programming on the ps2. The code looked extremely similar to that of the opengl code I used to work with. The triangle function and the way you drew on the screen. So, my question is, can you include the opengl libraries with your game and just link to them when you go to compile? If not, it doesn't seem that hard to implement a little opengl api thing, seeing as the code is so similar.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Dreamgl is part of the repo. You can use that for OpenGL on the ps2.

There's also libito for non-OpenGL 3D on the ps2. It's in the ps2dev repo as well.
SG_Sonic

Post by SG_Sonic »

So most of the fuctions of dreamgl are similar to that of OpenGL? Once I get my code machine up and running I'll take a look myself, just wanted to prepare for my game engine design. GL seemed to be a good option to start with. I want to implement a BSP rendering module next. Thank for your help!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

From the readme in the dreamgl folder:
The current API subset is based on the 1.1 OpenGL specification and is similar in functionalty to the MiniGL drivers used by games like id's Quake I and II.
You'll just have to try to see if it has what you need.