decompile elf file

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

NoobWithBoobs

decompile elf file

Post by NoobWithBoobs »

seeing as you can compile a bunch of files into an .elf,is there a program to seperate/decompile an elf file back to all those individual files?
J.F.

Re: decompile elf file

Post by J.F. »

NoobWithBoobs wrote:seeing as you can compile a bunch of files into an .elf,is there a program to seperate/decompile an elf file back to all those individual files?
I ate a chicken burger and some fries today. Is there any way I can throw up the original ingredients in the same form they were before I ate them? No? Didn't think so. :)

In much same manner, there's no way to decompile a program back into the original C/C++ and h files. All you get is vomit (assembly language).

Pretty graphic, but it's an apt description. If you could recover the original files by decompiling, reverse engineering would be simple, not the art form it really is.
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

Heh, there is Hanimar's disassembler (PS2Dis), which will, as J.F noted, vomit a mass of ASM at you, and for other brands of executables, there have been various attempts at "decompilers", all of which have been erratic and only partially functional (and I've never seen one produce code that would recompile, let alone recompile into a functional product).
I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
misfire

Post by misfire »

IDA Pro is by far the best disassembler I've seen so far: http://www.hex-rays.com/idapro/

Unfortunately, it's quite expensive.
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

Yes, it's true that IDA Pro is great. However, I believe only the Advanced version includes MIPS r5900l support, and if I remember correctly, Advanced costs in the thousands.
misfire

Post by misfire »

As for decompiling, this looks very promising: http://www.hex-rays.com/decompiler.shtml

Though it currently only supports 32-bit x86 code.
NoobWithBoobs

Post by NoobWithBoobs »

wow j.f.,
i dont know if i should be offended,but that was a pretty funny analogy
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

I think that was J.F. being cordial :)
stinkee2

I have IDA pro Advanced v 5.0

Post by stinkee2 »

I registered just to say that I have Ida Pro Advanced 5 and I would like to help...

...if possible
anmabagima

Post by anmabagima »

Hi,

are you still part of this forum ? If this is tha case would you be able to help in decompile PSP .O files into somehow readable code, asm or what ever, as I've completely deleted my cpp sources due to an typo in my makefile.

Thanks..
Ozqi

Post by Ozqi »

anmabagima wrote:Hi,

are you still part of this forum ? If this is tha case would you be able to help in decompile PSP .O files into somehow readable code, asm or what ever, as I've completely deleted my cpp sources due to an typo in my makefile.

Thanks..
I think you should be looking into file recovery programs. Never tried one myself but I bet there's a ton out there that are easy to use. Download one and hope that the sectors of your hdd that once contained the files haven't been overwritten. If they're still there this will be an extremely easier way to solve your problem than trying to decompile your elf.