Building the toolchain on Ubuntu - missing files?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

gilbertf

Building the toolchain on Ubuntu - missing files?

Post by gilbertf »

Hi!

I am trying to build the ps2toolchain in an Ubuntu VM, so I can have a "Canned" basic config to go back to in case of need. The VM I have is Ubuntu 8.10 in a VMWare appliance.

Now that I have setup the basic utilities and got the toolchain from svn, I am stuck because the scripts wont' complete.

After some prodding, it breaks down when the 001-binutils-2.14.sh script invokes the binutils configure script. The error that comes out is this:
*** The command 'gcc -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
I checked, and the problem is not with the CC variable; the conftest.c file does not exist.

Ok, the rest of the info: the script is in /home/user/ps2toolchain , I am launching it like this: sudo toolchain-sudo.h (to skip the permissions problems) from the /home/user/ps2toolchain directory.
Lukasz

Post by Lukasz »

Assume you mean Ubuntu 8.04. I just started building the ps2toolchains on a Ubuntu 8.04 system and it seems to be going without any problems. I only installed subversion and build-essential on an almost fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 to make it work.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install subversion
sudo apt-get install build-essential
ragnarok2040

Post by ragnarok2040 »

conftest.c is created by the configure script during configuration to test for a compiler that works. When conftest.c is created it just contains void f(){}. You can create the file yourself and do the compile command to see what errors occur to see what the problem is.
misfire

Post by misfire »

I can confirm that the toolchain can be built without any problems on Ubuntu 8.04.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

When someone has a problem building the PS2/PSP toolchain in Ubuntu (or many other distros), it's often because they're missing a dependency. Be sure to go through the list and make sure you have them all installed. The list of dependencies can be found in many threads and tutorials on installing the toolchain and SDK.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

## Install the required packages.
sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake bison flex \
libncurses5-dev libreadline-dev libusb-dev texinfo
That's from the readme-ubuntu.txt in psptoolchain, and should be fairly applicable to ps2toolchain too.
gilbertf

Post by gilbertf »

Lukasz wrote:Assume you mean Ubuntu 8.04. I just started building the ps2toolchains on a Ubuntu 8.04 system and it seems to be going without any problems. I only installed subversion and build-essential on an almost fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 to make it work.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install subversion
sudo apt-get install build-essential
Sorry for the lag, I have been out of town a lot lately.

I am currently using an Ubuntu 7.10 virtual machine. Seems I don't have build-essential completely (7 packages missing), so I'll try that first.

I had started by apt-getting all the packages specified in the readme, but there are some missing from the build-essential list.
gilbertf

Build-essentials is what the doctor ordered

Post by gilbertf »

The script worked after installing the package. Yay!

I'll try to compile a demo from the SVN to be sure, but it looks good.

Thanks a lot to you all! Now, off to some real tinkering...
misfire

Post by misfire »