Why is the ps2sdk network driver so slow?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

cosmito

Why is the ps2sdk network driver so slow?

Post by cosmito »

I was wondering about the low speed transfers archived with the ps2sdk network driver. Is it due to the clock speed of the IOP, or is there other additional reason?
Lukasz

Re: Why is the ps2sdk network driver so slow?

Post by Lukasz »

ptek wrote:I was wondering about the low speed transfers archived with the ps2sdk network driver. Is it due to the clock speed of the IOP, or is there other additional reason?
I'v never really worked with the ps2sdk network code, but I remember being told that the design of some parts of the IOP network code are less than optimal. Partly because of limitations with compatability between the IOP and some of the network code which was ported from other projects. Another reason being that the smap code from the PS2Linux runs on the EE and was then ported to the IOP "quickly". I'm sure the smap driver can be greatly improved, if one took the time to do so :-)

I know the ps2devman worked on a new network adapter (smap) driver - http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=6784 . Cody56 (USBD driver author) was (is?) also working on an unreleased smap driver, he told me over IRC that he got a 10x speedup in raw transfer speed, compare to the current driver.