ps2 linux on usb memory

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

devilinside128

Post by devilinside128 »

Hi, Mega Man
I can not partition the usb memory ext2, in the linux ps2, in the list of partitions or type of system is not.
Question: I use that program to partionarlo ext2, swap, fat32
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

You can use Windows for formating the last partition with fat32.
F3nrir

Post by F3nrir »

help pls ;O;

kernel panic:I have no root I want to scream

step 21 : crtmode=ntsc root=/dev/sda1 ro (usb memory stick
partitions: vfat32 + ext2 + swap)

kernel loader 1.7&1.8
ps2 v50001&70001
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

F3nrir wrote: step 21 : crtmode=ntsc root=/dev/sda1 ro (usb memory stick
partitions: vfat32 + ext2 + swap)
You tried to mount a USB memory stick directly at startup. To do this you need to start using an initrd (remove root=...). Then mount the USB device and change root file system using pivot_root. This program is not included you need to copy it on your USB memory stick (See previous page).
piffa

Post by piffa »

Mega Man wrote:
You tried to mount a USB memory stick directly at startup. To do this you need to start using an initrd (remove root=...). Then mount the USB device and change root file system using pivot_root. This program is not included you need to copy it on your USB memory stick (See previous page).
First of all i would like to thank you for the awesome loader and tutorial , it has been very useful to me.

I am trying to install blackrhino to an USB hard drive , and i got stuck at the "pivot_root" point.I have extracted blackrhino from his tar archive and i mounted the disk , but i don't know how to use the .ps2 executable posted by pip25 (thanks to you too).

I tried to put the pivot_root executable inside the blackrhino's bin directory on the USB drive but i get an error (command not found or can't execute) when i try to execute the file (writing "pivot_root" or "exec pivot_root" in the console) from the ps2linux console launched with kloader and initrd.
That's because i have no clue , being noobish in this, to make the pivot_root command works , could you point me to the right steps to include , launch and use this command on ps2linux ?
Maybe i am failing the right command , or file permissions , or arguments to make it works , and some simple hints could solve it.

I hope this would not mind you too much , but i can't find anywhere on the net a better explanation to use the pivot_root command , and i am stuck with this situation.

Thank you all anyway , please excuse me if i did any error or i am asking for the obvious .
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

piffa wrote: I tried to put the pivot_root executable inside the blackrhino's bin directory on the USB drive but i get an error (command not found or can't execute) when i try to execute the file (writing "pivot_root" or "exec pivot_root" in the console) from the ps2linux console launched with kloader and initrd.
Go to the directory where you copied pivot_root and try to execute:

Code: Select all

chmod +rx pivot_root
This makes it executable.
piffa

Post by piffa »

Mega Man wrote: Go to the directory where you copied pivot_root and try to execute:

chmod +rx pivot_root
This makes it executable.
Thanks for the fast help , i'll let you know the results, you are very kind.
piffa

Post by piffa »

Well , i did some progress so i edited the whole post :

Now after pivot_root command i can't login with blackrhino successfully , i type "login" and i insert root and blank password , but it keeps me saying incorrect login.And i can't unmount the oldroot directory , it seems that somewhat the root change isn't complete :

Here the steps i followed :

Insert an USB PEN with kloader , kernel and initrd

Boot with kloader , i remove the USB PEN after boot and then i plug the USB Hard Disk with the ext2 blackrhino partition.

mkdir /newroot 

mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /newroot

mkdir /newroot/oldroot

cp /newroot/bin/pivot_root _bin

cd /

cd bin

chmod +rx pivot_root

cd ..

pivot_root /newroot /newroot/oldroot
Now when i call the login command i get an incorrect login error , and i can't unmount the oldroot directory, it seems to me that the login command still is the original initrd one , so i doesn't recongnize me with root id and blank password.

Don't know what i can try 8(
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

piffa wrote: Now after pivot_root command i can't login with blackrhino successfully , i type "login" and i insert root and blank password , but it keeps me saying incorrect login.And i can't unmount the oldroot directory , it seems that somewhat the root change isn't complete :
You are already logged in as root and don't need to login again. When you type the commands:

ls /
ls /oldroot
you can see if pivot_root was successfully.

Before unmounting /oldroot, you need to unmount /oldroot/proc and when you use devfs /oldroot/dev also. To work with it you need to mount proc and devfs on the new root:

mount -t proc /proc /proc
mount -t devfs /devfs /dev
piffa

Post by piffa »

Mega Man wrote: You are already logged in as root and don't need to login again. When you type the commands:

ls /
ls /oldroot
you can see if pivot_root was successfully.
When i type this i get the blackrhino directory list, so i think it worked.

Mega Man wrote: Before unmounting /oldroot, you need to unmount /oldroot/proc and when you use devfs /oldroot/dev also. To work with it you need to mount proc and devfs on the new root:

mount -t proc /proc /proc
mount -t devfs /devfs /dev
When i try to umount /oldroot/dev it says to me :" device Busy "

Mega Man , really thank you for the help you gave me , very appreciated, but i think i have to give up 'cause that's a little bit over my linux knowleadge , i can't keep bother you "babysitting" me every error i found.

Keep up your great work with kloader !!
devilinside128

Post by devilinside128 »

Hello, mega man
I am in the step 18. Stoop pivot_root and copy it to the partition ext2 in the folder where I install the blackrhino. to him(you,them) I execute it and it(he,she) does not give ningun mensage, looks like all good.
Then reseteo her(it) ps2 and I load the vmlinux and desabilito the initrd.gz.

Then I edit kernel parameter and place the following thing crtmode=ntsc root=pivot_root, Boot Linux.

Aprece then a mensage of mistake " kernel panic "
Did I me can dicir that I am doing badly?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

devilinside128 wrote: I am in the step 18. Stoop pivot_root and copy it to the partition ext2 in the folder where I install the blackrhino. to him(you,them) I execute it and it(he,she) does not give ningun mensage, looks like all good.
This means your finished at this point. System is running and usable. The only thing what is remaining is that you can start Linux System V init:

exec /sbin/init
This will start remaining stuff.
devilinside128 wrote: Then reseteo her(it) ps2 and I load the vmlinux and desabilito the initrd.gz.

Then I edit kernel parameter and place the following thing crtmode=ntsc root=pivot_root, Boot Linux.

Aprece then a mensage of mistake " kernel panic "
Did I me can dicir that I am doing badly?
Don't do this. You are already finished above. The bad news are that you always need to do the steps above (running mount, pivot_root,...). For automatic start you can change the file "/etc/sysinit" in the initrd (see kernelloader README). Just replace exec bash by your commands entered.
devilinside128

Post by devilinside128 »

Hello Mega Man
With the code "as income and the only thing that makes the ps2 is shut down until it seems comical.
What about file vmlinux?

The file "kernelloader readme", not where downloading.

We apologize for any inconvenience this will cause, but I water in a water-based. How could I say step by step I do?
piffa

Post by piffa »

devilinside128 wrote:Hello Mega Man
With the code "as income and the only thing that makes the ps2 is shut down until it seems comical.
What about file vmlinux?

The file "kernelloader readme", not where downloading.

We apologize for any inconvenience this will cause, but I water in a water-based. How could I say step by step I do?
Ps2 shutting down when typing

Exec /sbin/init 

right ?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

piffa wrote: Ps2 shutting down when typing

Exec /sbin/init 

right ?
Yes. I didn't see that init was already started in initrd. Init need to have PID 1.

I uploaded a initrd with replaced init.

There are 2 kernel parameters added (kernel parameters are passed to the initrd):

newroot=[USB device]
autostart=[n or time to sleep in seconds, default: 5]

autostart=n means, you need to press enter.

https://sourceforge.net/project/downloa ... z&97688685

Release notes:
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownote ... _id=610717
slimbox-ps2

Re: mega man

Post by slimbox-ps2 »

Mega Man wrote: Slim PSTwo Linux is still under test. You should try the following:

Testversion of kernelloader only for slim PSTwo:
http://rapidshare.com/files/112377238/kloader.elf.html

Testversion of Linux kernel only for slim PSTwo.
http://rapidshare.com/files/112377834/vmlinux.gz.html
Hello, Mega Man.
On my PSTwo-slim SCPH-77008(PAL) this works well. Keyboard is working. But There is no "ide" or "scsi" in /dev directory(initrd.gz-ps2-20071224). I think therefore mounting usb-stick does not work: "can't mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1(tried "disc","part2","disc1") device does not exist". Maybe i missed something.
Another kernel and combinations(kloader1.8, kloader1.7) starts well, but i have only blinking cursor, keyboard does not answer.
And when LIBSD module is enabled, kloader freezes on "starting modules screen".
And...Which filesystem must be on usb-stick(ext2, fat32 or reiserfs) for initrd.usb.gz?

You did Amazing work, anyway. Big thanks!
piffa

Post by piffa »

slimbox-ps2 wrote:
You did Amazing work, anyway. Big thanks!
On my 39004 i have the initrd on a FAT32 partition along with the kernel.
Kloader is in my MC instead.

Blackrhino partition has to be EXT2.

I don't know about Slim PS2 , but in my fat ps2 i have 2 usb ports and i can load pendrive only from the bottom one, did you try every USB port on your ps2 (if >1 8P).
devilinside128

Post by devilinside128 »

slimbox-ps2 wrote

It(He,She) proves(tries) this: it(he,she) shows your device and partitions
fdisk -l
if you you want particionar your disc the following thing uses is dicir using "fdisk"

Your direction(address) / .. //. // disc

For formatear:mkswap /dev/../part3
/ ../. //./part1 vfat WINDOWS
mk2fs /dev/scsi/.../.../part2 ext2
Last edited by devilinside128 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
devilinside128

Post by devilinside128 »

mega man

Boot with initrd.usb.gz and the vmlinux.devfs and it pulls up the linux. next
It shows a series of errors, for example. Creating a directory in "newroot/oldroot" "read-only tile system" "boot failed rumming bash."
These errors believe that they are because it should be mounted in my "partition 2 ext2", in the partition 1 have a system vfat. is it this way mega Man?

Fearing this as hypothesis this modifies the "INIT", so that it mounts me the partition 2 ext2.
#! / bin/sh

if [- f / dev/sda1]; then
#Non devfs
newroot_default = "/ dev/sda1"
else
#devfs
newroot_default = "/ dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2"
fi
newroot=${newroot:-${newroot_default}}
autostart=${autostart:-5}

source / etc/bashrc

error_exit ()
{
I toss> &2 "Boot failed, running bash... "
exec bash
}

#Mount special filesystems
mount - t proc proc / proc

if ["$autostart" = "n"]; then
I toss "Press return to it continued."
read
else
#Sleep cheats.
I toss "Boot you continue in $autostart seconds... "
sleep $autostart
fi

I toss "Mounting $newroot on / newroot"
mount - r "$newroot" / newroot || error_exit

if [! - d "/ newroot/oldroot"]; then
mkdir / newroot/oldroot || error_exit
fi

I toss "Changing root."
pivot_root / newroot / newroot/oldroot || error_exit

umount / oldroot/proc

I toss "Starting init."
exec / sbin/init "$@ "

Should I modify another thing?
* By the way, when I modify the init or another thing when restarting the ps2 do they fade what modifies that I should make so that not you boren the modifications?

Then I execute the init with
exec / sbin/init
It shows the same message
"boot failed rumming bash"
but believe or it mounts the partition 2

should the pivot_root be in the portfolio where the backchino was decompressed?

* later I mount
mount - t proc / proc / proc
mount - t devfs / devfs / dev

Should the fstab modify it?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

devilinside128 wrote:Boot with initrd.usb.gz and the vmlinux.devfs and it pulls up the linux. next
It shows a series of errors, for example. Creating a directory in "newroot/oldroot" "read-only tile system" "boot failed rumming bash."
There was an error in my /sbin/init. I needed to remount the file system writable for creating /newroot/oldroot directory. Please download initrd.usb2.gz from sourceforge. I fixed the following:

mount -o remount,rw /newroot
mkdir /newroot/oldroot
mount -o remount,ro
devilinside128 wrote: These errors believe that they are because it should be mounted in my "partition 2 ext2", in the partition 1 have a system vfat. is it this way mega Man?

Fearing this as hypothesis this modifies the "INIT", so that it mounts me the partition 2 ext2.
I think there is no change in /sbin/init required. Just add to the kernel parameters the following:

newroot=/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
slimbox-ps2 wrote: Which filesystem must be on usb-stick(ext2, fat32 or reiserfs) for initrd.usb.gz?
Your error is not based on the file system. The USB memory stick is not detected. Please check if it is switched to be writeable. There must be a message on screen when you connect it and disconnect it. In the old initrd it is deactivated, please use "dmesg" command to get messages.
devilinside128

Post by devilinside128 »

Hi, mega man
I count him that pulls up the linux with the vmlinux.devfs and the initrd.usb2.gz. next some errors are shown:
- ACTIVINTING SWAP
"modprobe: can´t open dependencies file / lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21/modules.dep (not such file or directory) "... mega man this portfolio is not in the blackrhino "2.4.17_mvl21"
.. "sck failed.please to distribute manually an reboot.please notices that the root file system is currenty mounted read-only. to remount if read-write: "
"mount - n - or remount, rw / "

"control - d will exit from this shell and reboot the system"

"not such divice or address while tring to open / dev/hda1 possibly or swap divice doesn't exist? "

..... later the screen is placed with the following thing
(none): #
... MEGA THEN CAN THAT YOU ACTIVATED THE PIVOT_ROOT.PS2
ls / oldroot

Should Maga man modify the I saw / etc/fstab, so that the partition of the swap comes out, do I have it in the partition 3, that is to say / dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3 swap?... in the blackrchino it does show the following thing:
/ dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/ dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
/ dev/ps2mc00 / mnt/mc00 ps2mcfs noauto 0 0
/ dev/ps2mc10 / mnt/mc10 ps2mcfs noauto 0 0
none / proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
none / proc proc defaults 0 0
none / dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0

Should it exchange the / dev/hda1 ext2 for / devhda2 swap? Here he/she doesn't go written my address "/ "?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

devilinside128 wrote: / dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/ dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
/ dev/ps2mc00 / mnt/mc00 ps2mcfs noauto 0 0
/ dev/ps2mc10 / mnt/mc10 ps2mcfs noauto 0 0
none / proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
none / proc proc defaults 0 0
none / dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
Check disc just to be sure, remount root and edit fstab:

fsck.ext2 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
mount -o remount,rw /
vi /etc/fstab
Replace /dev/hda1 by /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
Replace /dev/hda2 by /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3

To deactivate swap enter "#" at the beginning of the line, if you don't use it.

Press CTRL + D.

Note: Shutdown will not work correctly. There are some problems with the scripts in /etc/rc0.d/S31* and later.
devilinside128

Post by devilinside128 »

hi, mega man
step 1:execute "fsck.ext2 / dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2", and is shown a mensage
"the superblock could not be read or does not decribe to correct ext2 filesystem. if the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you night. try rumming e2fsck wich an alteranate superblock: e2fsck - b 8193 (device) "

step 2:mount - or remount,rw /

step 3:.. I proceed to replace in vi / etc/fstab
Replace / dev/hda1 by / dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
Replace / dev/hda2 by / dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3

step 4: Press CTRL + D
.. and if! indeed shutdown the ps2. that I owe modicar in scripts in / etc/rc0.d/S31 *?
F3nrir

Post by F3nrir »

What version of the loader and kernel should be use for my slim (77001)

1.8 + devfs + slim 77001 = usb errors ( "new usb device connected", "bulk message timeout", "unlink URB timeout", "device not accepting new address" )

1.8 + devfs + 55001 = load usb with the same result of devilinside128

pd: translator sux
pd2: devilsider128 intenta traducir las palabras que se quedan en español como "modicar"
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

Mega Man wrote: Slim PSTwo Linux is still under test. You should try the following:

Testversion of kernelloader only for slim PSTwo:
http://rapidshare.com/files/112377238/kloader.elf.html

Testversion of Linux kernel only for slim PSTwo.
http://rapidshare.com/files/112377834/vmlinux.gz.html

It is possible that there will be a message at startup that eromdrvloader can't be started. When you see this message you need to disable the following modules:

ROM0:ADDDRV
host:eromdrvloader
devilinside128 wrote: step 1:execute "fsck.ext2 / dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2", and is shown a mensage
"the superblock could not be read or does not decribe to correct ext2 filesystem. if the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you night. try rumming e2fsck wich an alteranate superblock: e2fsck - b 8193 (device) "
Did you enter a white space before dev? Path names don't have white space.
devilinside128 wrote: step 4: Press CTRL + D
.. and if! indeed shutdown the ps2. that I owe modicar in scripts in / etc/rc0.d/S31 *?
Did it start after pressing CTRL + D?

To get around shutdown problem, I removed all scripts starting with /etc/rc0.d/S31* upto /etc/rc0.d/S*umountfs. To get a clean shutdown the script /etc/rc0.d/S*umountfs need to remount root read only, but there is some error before. I need to debug it.
dirsors

Can't boot kloader

Post by dirsors »

Hi,

I'm afraid i can't use this great linux loader. I'm following the steps EXACTLY as explained on MegaMan website but I can't go even in the command line. Here is what I'm getting when booting using:

kloader1.8.elf;

vmlinux-2.4.17-ps2-devfs-20080302 or
vmlinux-2.4.17-ps2-20080209

initrd.usb2.gz; initrd.usb.gz or initrd.gz-ps2-20071224.

http://libra.etcom.ufrgs.br/~adilson/kloading.jpg

It doesn't matter what combination of initrd and vmlinux i use. The result is the same. My system is 39001 with matrix infinity 1.88 and uLaunchelf 4.18. Where is my error?

Thanks for help.
Mega Man

Re: Can't boot kloader

Post by Mega Man »

dirsors wrote:I'm afraid i can't use this great linux loader. I'm following the steps EXACTLY as explained on MegaMan website but I can't go even in the command line. Here is what I'm getting when booting using:

kloader1.8.elf;

vmlinux-2.4.17-ps2-devfs-20080302 or
vmlinux-2.4.17-ps2-20080209

initrd.usb2.gz; initrd.usb.gz or initrd.gz-ps2-20071224.

http://libra.etcom.ufrgs.br/~adilson/kloading.jpg

It doesn't matter what combination of initrd and vmlinux i use. The result is the same. My system is 39001 with matrix infinity 1.88 and uLaunchelf 4.18. Where is my error?
My web site describes only, how to install Linux on the internal hard disc. This thread talks about installing on USB memory stick.

initrd.usb2.gz or initrd.usb.gz work only when Linux is already installed on the USB memory stick or when you remove the memory stick before the 5 seconds time out is reached.
I recommend to use initrd.gz-ps2-20071224. Please retry, the startup should look different.
dirsors

Post by dirsors »

MegaMan, thanks for supporting me.

Unfortunately, I'm having no success. Although the linux appears to boot properly and shows no error messages, it shows me the bash "/>" but pressing any keys nothing happens, like a 'system halt'. Num and Caps Lock doesn't turn on/off. The cursor flashes at the screen but i can't interact with the command line. Yes, my keyboard is working properly ;-).

i'm using initrd.gz-ps2-20071224 and vmlinux-2.4.17-ps2-devfs-20080302. Booting from CD, DEV1 makes no difference.

Here's a snapshot just before the bash "/>" appears.
http://libra.etcom.ufrgs.br/~adilson/kloader2.jpg

I've uploaded a video capture to show you what's happening with me. At '45 isn't the copy of vmlinux too fast?
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=yNidh2dOyLc
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

dirsors wrote: Unfortunately, I'm having no success. Although the linux appears to boot properly and shows no error messages, it shows me the bash "/>" but pressing any keys nothing happens, like a 'system halt'. Num and Caps Lock doesn't turn on/off. The cursor flashes at the screen but i can't interact with the command line. Yes, my keyboard is working properly ;-).

i'm using initrd.gz-ps2-20071224 and vmlinux-2.4.17-ps2-devfs-20080302. Booting from CD, DEV1 makes no difference.

Here's a snapshot just before the bash "/>" appears.
http://libra.etcom.ufrgs.br/~adilson/kloader2.jpg

I've uploaded a video capture to show you what's happening with me. At '45 isn't the copy of vmlinux too fast?
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=yNidh2dOyLc
This looks like a normal boot. The jump happens, because kernel loader uses one function for loading uncompressed and compressed kernels. The size is not known before, when using compressed kernels. I decided that the graphic shows the available memory space and it doesn't show the file size correctly. Kernel loader will start it only, if it can verify that everything is loaded (by ELF headers).
USB seems to work, because the directory "oldroot" was created on your USB stick by previous experiments. Changing root to USB memory stick was also working. So it is caused by the keyboard. You can try to plug it out and in again. Or start it without and later connect the keyboard.

devilinside128 has already similar problems:
devilinside128 wrote: What happens is that a need modulate the UN "USBKEYBD.IRX." WITH LAUNCHELF runs it USBKEYBD.IRX and then the kloader_1.8.elf and runs on Linux and kloader_1.8.elf.
I don't understand this sentence, but maybe you speak the same native language as devilinside128.
devilinside128

Post by devilinside128 »

Hello, Mega Man
I think my problem is that the blackrino is broken. could you put the download link?, what happens in official home page in this remodeling, or something like that. thanks