ps2 linux on usb memory

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@noiseand
Its SSX must be the 2.
No, this is the original SSX game.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

noiseand wrote: SBIOS: MCSERV old version 0x00000101.
SBIOS: mcInit() result 0.
sbios_rpc: RPC failed, func=208 result=-1
ps2rm: failed to initialize rm
sbios_rpc: RPC failed, func=213 result=-1
ps2rm: failed to initialize rm2
ps2rm: failed to initialize remocon device
sbios_rpc: RPC failed, func=191 result=-1

ps2sysconf: can't open osd, res=0 stat=0x80279d3c
This is normal. MCSERV starts successfully. Support for remote control is not implemented. "191 SBR_CDVD_OPENCONFIG" is not supported.
noiseand wrote: keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 273
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
You pressed a key which is not supported in the english char map.

The second way to get SBIOS is the program "getsbios" from the kernelloader source. This program searches for the string "PS2b" in the file "Pbpx_955.09". Normally it copies 47888 bytes from offset 0x000351b0 to "sbios.bin". So you can also use a hex editor to do this.

DVD video is not supported in the Linux kernel. The CDVD driver need to be changed to use the function "sceCdReadDVDV" on the IOP side. There may be an additional RPC server required for this.

I further checked why the USB is disabled by the sound module. The problem is if USB is activated from EE, it will be disabled from IOP on the next access. I fixed this in CVS. USB is now enabled from IOP side, so the libsd patch isn't required with this version. The register seems to read the old value from IOP side if it was changed from EE side.

Sony changed the sound modules entirely since version 4 ("SDR driver version 4.0.1 (C) SCEI"). The changed module is not supported by PS2 Linux. I assume that all previous modules are working. The original PS2 Linux module include the text: "SDR driver version 2.0.0 (C)SCEI". I know that 1.4.0 is working. I think that all modules which have the version number 2 or smaller are working. But you need to be sure that you combine libsd.irx and sdrdrv.irx from the same game disc.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@ Mega Man

Very cool. I'm glad you got the USB problem resolved. I assume that the USB heavy-load still has problems? If so, DVD-Video might be a good alternative to loading the large PS2-Linux tar files.

I am interested in the new version to not have to patch the libsd.irx modules. Are you allowing cvs access to sourceforge for download of the current snapshot so I can compile and play around with it before release? Is it setup for svn on sourceforge?

Also thanks for the sbios extraction instructions, just something I'm interested in learning by comparing with TGE SBIOS.

EDIT - You probably already know this, but the LIBSD.IRX also contains a version string which shows 1600 for SSX SDRDRV.IRX 1.4.0, others for SDRDRV.IRX 2.0.0 have 2000 or 2100 for LIBSD.IRX.
In kernelloader, could you make the selector able to see uppercase mc0:\kloader\LIBSD.IRX and SDRDRV.IRX instead of lowercase to remove the step of renaming to lowercase?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

USB heavy load has still problems. When I use the new modules, it doesn't hang, but writes wrong data to the USB memory stick. I assume that writing the data from EE to IOP memory fails. So the OHCI chip reads random garbage from IOP memory and writes it to the USB bus.

You can get the new version from CVS repository at sourceforge. There is no SVN.

I can add uppercase file names in the list, but this may confuse the people.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@Mega Man
I can add uppercase file names in the list, but this may confuse the people.
OK, I agree that this would be confusing...never mind.

I checked-out and compiled, and verified the libsd patch option. Works great for SSX modules. I did have to modify .../TGE/iop/intrelay/Makefile to remove rule for usb.o and also modify intrelay.c to remove include of usb.h (dead in CVS) and comment out one line "initUSB()". Other than that, compiled and ran fine with toolchain built two weeks ago. This is a good thing for people using version 14+ PS2s as there are lots of common old games with the working older libsd.irx/sdrdrv.irx pair.

EDIT -
I assume that writing the data from EE to IOP memory fails.
Could this be related to the intrelay.c use of the deprecated usb.o?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

The files "usb.c" and "usb.h" are part of the new USB initialisation on IOP side. I've forgot to add these files to CVS. It should now work. There should be no LIBSD patch needed, when using the new intrelay module.
Mega Man

Playstation 2 Linux Live DVD

Post by Mega Man »

To get around all the USB problems on the slim PSTwo, I created a Live Linux DVD. I used the files from deba5er to create it. There is no modchip required. I don't know if this works when you have modchip.

File: ps2livedvd_v1.zip
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelloader/files/
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@Mega Man

Very nice! First download of kloader2.1.elf must've been bad, but my second download worked great. I removed my mc0:\kloader\config.txt, ran the loader, and booted off of the live disc great right into X-Windows. I'm on my version 15 portable test rig at the moment, will test more when I get a real tv/net hookup.

My mind is officially blown - live linux dvd on a ps2 ;-)
noiseand

Post by noiseand »

Estou entusiasmado com estas novidades. Acho que precisarei de um resumo para entender todas.

Assim que puder testar em meu V17/V18 com modchip falo como ficou.

--------------------

I am enthusiastic with these new features. I find that I will need a summary to understand all.

As soon as it will be able to test in my V17/V18 with modchip I speak as it was.
dlanor

Re: Playstation 2 Linux Live DVD

Post by dlanor »

Mega Man wrote:To get around all the USB problems on the slim PSTwo, I created a Live Linux DVD. I used the files from deba5er to create it. There is no modchip required. I don't know if this works when you have modchip.

File: ps2livedvd_v1.zip
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelloader/files/
I have tested the Live DVD disc on two of my PAL consoles, but it remains very awkward to use due to display problems of two different kinds. And there is also some problem with the USB interface.

On one of the consoles connected by SCART to a 4:3 PAL TV set (also NTSC capable) the picture looks fine as far as can be seen. But a large part of the left edge of the logical screen is far outside the left edge of the physical screen, making any text there invisible. This is the same problem as for some games that lack screen adjustment, but there it can often be ignored, as the screen edge is there seldom used for anything vital. But for an operating system it is intolerable.

On the other console connected by component cable to a 16:9 HDTV set (multi-system compatible) the picture is always visible in its entirety (both when 16:9 or 4:3 proportions are enforced by the set), but it is still fairly useless for many purposes, as it has a pink colour offset. (The opposite of the classic green-screen problem.)

What is really needed here is some X-gadget to manipulate screen output after completing the boot.

Still, I guess that may be hard to achieve, but then we need at the very least to have some way of tweaking these things in your kernel loader, in a way that affects not just it but also the display in X-windows after completing the boot process.

But I'm not sure if kloader changes alone can accomplish this...

Btw: I did read your comment about using the 'SBIOS from RTE', but I do not consider that an acceptable solution. We need a homebrew setup that does not require access to Sony discs. And the Live DVD disc needs to be able to boot properly without any custom configs for kloader.

Another problem is that with any USB storage devices connected to the console, even though not configured for use in any way, the system goes slightly insane once the kernel proper has been started. It does complete the boot and reach the desktop, but not in any normal manner. The disc head is heard to jump back and forth frantically during every file access, and in many cases the result of an operation is abnormal in some way.

For example, I tried starting the PySol Solitaire game, which worked fine in a previous boot without USB storage drives. But with such drives connected I never was able to use the game. The frantic disc head jumping continued throughout that run, and the game entered some weird demo mode (without any command from me). And all attempts to stop that were futile. The menu could be opened during this chaos (surprisingly), but the program blithely ignored all menu commands.

Fortunately this insanity does not appear to have damaged the content I had on those USB drives, but I've still avoided repeating that experiment again. Nor will I do so until I have some reassurance that some fix has at least been attempted for this USB problem.

My initial conclusion from my test is that homebrew PS2 Linux still remains incompatible to post-v13 slim PS2 USB access as well as all decent quality (== Component Cable) use of HDTV sets as well as decent quality (== SCART/RGB) use of SDTV sets.

Apologia:
Please believe me when I say that I wrote this report without any intent to 'bash' your efforts here. I think it is great that you're doing what you are doing, but I also think you have missed some of the improvements that are required for wider public use of this stuff.

People are not going to use a system that displays only in pink (Component) or partly outside the screen (SCART/RGB), and using composite cable would be pointless due to the rotten picture quality given by a composite signal. And people are also not going to use a system that goes insane whenever a USB storage device is connected.

I think that these problems may require fixing not just in the kernel loader, but in the kernel itself. So the big question is if that can be done.

Best regards: dlanor
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

Thanks for your report. I think this will help people to decide to use it or not. But at least it is now a DVD and everybody can easily try it, even if there are some restrictions on use or usabilty.

I didn't see the problem with the lost left side of the screen. I used FBAS. Now I connected my RGB cable and could see what you mean. On my screen is only a small part of the left side off the screen. The X-Windows part is very left, but nearby fully visible (Only 2 or 3 pixels lost). The interesting is that Sony's Linux Kit has the same problem and they sold this shitty behaviour, while I offering this for free. By the way Sony's Linux Kit doesn't support the slim PSTwo at all, Despite the problems it is a big step forward. I need to check what is the best way too move the screen. I've seen screen adjustment in games, but never in homebrew software.

I know that it should not be used with HDTV and I don't have a HDTV, because I think HDTV has worse color quality than my old TV. It is really difficult to reverse engineer the missing part in SBIOS.

Using stuff from RTE with kernelloader is only for advanced users which truely want the missing features. So windows users may never be able to use it.

The sound modules are the worst case part for reverse engineering I've ever seen. This is too much code and I can't break it in smaller steps. I will never reverse engineer it. The homebrew solutions only support one sampling rate, so I can't use it.

The effect you see when inserting USB is caused by too less memory. The PySol Solitaire game uses much memory. You should not run anything else. inserting a USB memory stick can be enough to cause problems. Linux should not write anything to the USB memory stick in this situation. The only help for this is to use swap partition which need to be stored on a USB memory stick. I successfully used a swap partition on my slim PSTwo, but I can't promise that it want destroy any data on the USB stick. So I recommend to backup your data before.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

The sound modules are the worst case part for reverse engineering I've ever seen. This is too much code and I can't break it in smaller steps. I will never reverse engineer it. The homebrew solutions only support one sampling rate, so I can't use it.
Similar to how people with USB drive compatibility problems use different USB .IRX drivers with other homebrew, those with newer incompatible LIBSD.IRX and SDRDRV.IRX files in ROM (version 9 and up) can be expected to use the ones from an older PS2 title (including SSX, RTE, and many others) in the mc0:\kloader directory. A better solution may never be available, and this is not automated, but with kernelloader 2.1 it should be a single step copy of two files from cdfs: in ULaunchELF to mc0:
Not perfect, but reasonable. I realize these have been left disabled in the default configuration of the Live DVD but it was an easy configuration change to fix.
The X-Windows part is very left, but nearby fully visible (Only 2 or 3 pixels lost).
Regarding RGB, for now it might be useful to edit the value of TV_MARGIN_X (currently set to 16 in /usr/local/bin/win3). If increased to 24, it would reduce the screen size by 16 pixels so one would increase as little as possible to make it display completely. I like that you started adding the XMODE variable, but you still have PAL hardcoded in the win3 script. I have replaced "PAL" with "$XMODE" for my uses. Maybe something like the XMODE setting in kernelloader which would set TV_MARGIN_X, and would be simple for the average user to set? While this adjusts margins, not an X-offset, it may be possible to patch Xgsx for other than margins with a source code review? See http://phatbox.sixpak.org/ps2linux/

I like the idea of booting right up for a basic purpose with very little configuration. I'll look at tweaks to minimize memory use, but certain packages which are part of my regular PS2-Linux distro will not be very good on the LiveDVD because a swap file isn't possible at this time.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

Mega Man wrote:Thanks for your report. I think this will help people to decide to use it or not. But at least it is now a DVD and everybody can easily try it, even if there are some restrictions on use or usabilty.
Yes, I agree that PS2 Linux is now much more accesible than before, but this also means that many more people are going to try it outside of the established PS2-Linux group, and for many of them the display shortcomings will be both irritating and inexplicable.
I didn't see the problem with the lost left side of the screen. I used FBAS. Now I connected my RGB cable and could see what you mean. On my screen is only a small part of the left side off the screen. The X-Windows part is very left, but nearby fully visible (Only 2 or 3 pixels lost).
That obviously varies with the hardware. With my own CRT TV I get a loss of appx 2 character widths, which makes any text displayed directly on this 'raw' screen hard to read, as two characters of the initial word of every text line is lost. And on the Fluxbox taskbar (at least I believe Fluxbox to be its 'owner') the word "one" is only barely visible as "ne" (with half the "n" outside screen). The problem is worst at top and bottom of screen, with a few lines near its center being almost fully visible. (Due to the usual 'bulging' CRT design.)
The interesting is that Sony's Linux Kit has the same problem and they sold this shitty behaviour, while I offering this for free.
I know. But Sony always has had an unrealistic attitude to default video quality. Even today new PS2 consoles are sold with composite cable as the only alternative supplied.
By the way Sony's Linux Kit doesn't support the slim PSTwo at all,
Again very true.
Despite the problems it is a big step forward.
I certainly agree. I just wish that there was some simple way to fix those display problems, so that even more people can enjoy it properly without having to search for other components (like RTE) or modifying the setup of their files on MC or USB.
I need to check what is the best way too move the screen. I've seen screen adjustment in games, but never in homebrew software.
Well, you can always download the GSModeselector sources from psx-scene.com (It has a thread in the main Homebrew/Dev forum)

This homebrew contains code for setting both the video modes and screen positions to be used by other programs, including both other homebrews and commercial games. It even works with most backup game launchers, such as HDLoader and "Open PS2 Loader" etc.

GSM is still in a very early beta phase, with numerous limitations and some bugs as well (like 480p mode being compressed to display 4:3 on 16:9 screen, and thus showing a square picture on a 4:3 screen). But for many purposes it works quite well, and I use it in place of any PAL-NTSC patching for games.

It is quite possible that a variation of the method used by GSM, but differently implemented by your kernel loader, could allow new configuration settings of the kernel loader to determine both the basic video mode and the screen centering to be used by both kernel and X-windows when they initialize (with trap code of the kernel loader interfering with their video mode initialization).
I know that it should not be used with HDTV and I don't have a HDTV,
Personally I think that any video signal source (whether a game console, a DVD-Video player, or whatever) should be useful with either SDTV or HDTV equipment, though some of the signal sources may be limited in their use of the additional HDTV modes. But those modes were never mentioned in my earlier report, which related only to standard PAL mode.
because I think HDTV has worse color quality than my old TV.
That is partly a matter of individual opinion, but is definitely not true of all HDTV equipment, as results vary greatly with different brands, models, and implementation methods.

None of my earlier CRT TVs have even come close to the picture quality (including the color clarity) of my current HDTV set. But it must also be noted that many HDTV sets have one specific limitation compared to a CRT set, which is thay your line of sight needs to be reasonably close to perpendicular to the screen surface (say 30-45 degrees max). Otherwise there will be a loss of color tone and/or some visible 'artifacts'.
It is really difficult to reverse engineer the missing part in SBIOS.
Yes, I understand that fully.
Using stuff from RTE with kernelloader is only for advanced users which truely want the missing features. So windows users may never be able to use it.
Hehe... careful there,... your pro-linux prejudice is showing... :)
(Like: Windows user == less advanced user)
I fully understand, and I don't see this as a major problem in the same way that the display problems are. Making sounds, such as playing music etc, is just one of many activities an OS may participate in, but that is not its basic purpose. But displaying stuff for the user is definitely part of the basic purpose, so that has a much higher priority, in my opinion.
The effect you see when inserting USB is caused by too less memory. The PySol Solitaire game uses much memory. You should not run anything else. inserting a USB memory stick can be enough to cause problems.
I suppose that could explain the problems I saw, as there is no telling how that PySol program will respond to a failure of memory allocation attempts. Possibly my attempts to use menu commands led to implicit needs for memory allocation, with abortion of the commands when those allocation attempts failed.
Linux should not write anything to the USB memory stick in this situation. The only help for this is to use swap partition which need to be stored on a USB memory stick. I successfully used a swap partition on my slim PSTwo, but I can't promise that it want destroy any data on the USB stick. So I recommend to backup your data before.
For initial test cases of something like that I would use a dedicated USB drive anyway. I have plenty of them, so that is no problem. My main worry in this is how effective memory swapping can be when using flash memory. A USB HDD should be much better for this.

Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

In my final ISO I forgot to copy the correct win3 script. So NTSC may not work correctly. The ISO must be recreated to fix this.

I will check out GSModeselector and try to put it into Linux or kernelloader.
noiseand

Post by noiseand »

Meu primeiro teste do live dvd não deu certo por falta de ler o README.

Quais a melhorias do "vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v4" e do "KLOADER.ELF" versão 2.1? Ainda é necessário aplicar o patch no "libsd.irx"? ou basta ser inferior a versão 2.0?

------

My first test of live dvd did not give certain due to reading the README.

Which the improvements of " vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v4" e of " KLOADER.ELF" version 2.1? Still it is necessary to apply patch in " libsd.irx"? or is enough to be inferior version 2.0?
noiseand

Post by noiseand »

Parabéns pelo dvd live. Ele funciona no meu slim v17/v18 muito bem e a performance foi bem superior se comparada ao pendrive e hd usb. Além disso meu slim não travou em nenhum momento, mesmo abrindo dois aplicativos ao mesmo tempo. Utilizei mouse e teclado usb sem maoires problemas.

Algumas considerações, são que a imagem ficou rosa em meu LCD HDTV com cabo de vídeo componente, independente de usar o SBIOS ou não. Vou testar em uma tv convencional com cabo original do ps2.

Como dvd de fílme não apareceu nada na tela, independente do modchip estar desativado ou não.

Não consegui usar o mplayer via menu no flux.

Botando como jogo recebo erro do SYSTEM.CNF, só consigo carregar o KLOADER via ULAUNCH.

-------------------------------

Congratulations for dvd live. It functions in mine slim very v17/v18 well and the performance well superior if was compared with pendrive and hd usb. Moreover mine slim did not stop at no moment, exactly opening two applicatory ones at the same time. I used mouse and keyboard usb without problems.

Some considerations, are that the image was pink in my LCD HDTV with handle of component, independent video to use the SBIOS or not. I go to test in a conventional TV with original handle of ps2.

As dvd of film did not appear nothing in the screen, independent of modchip to be disactivated or not.

I did not obtain to use mplayer way menu in the flood.

Loading as game I receive error from the SYSTEM.CNF, only obtain to load the KLOADER saw ULAUNCH.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@noiseand
I did not obtain to use mplayer way menu in the flood.
mplayer has no menu entry. There is no gui version at the moment. Instead you have to start a xterm and run "mplayer -ao sdl FILENAME" to get it to work. I only use it for .flv files, but have played other file types successfully.
Loading as game I receive error from the SYSTEM.CNF, only obtain to load the KLOADER saw ULAUNCH.
From the readme it is noted that the ESR launch was untested so I decided to test it.

I tested ESR r9b from FMCB 1.8 on version 9 PS2 without going to ULE first and from ULE running ESR second. Neither worked. I also used direct dvd off ESR and disc control off in ULE to see if this would work. Nothing worked.

It hangs at Reseting IOP with "Loading, please wait..." at the bottom of the screen. I also must run kloader2.1.elf from the memory card or usb flash drive from ULE to get the LiveDVD to work.
Which the improvements of " vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v4" e of " KLOADER.ELF" version 2.1? Still it is necessary to apply patch in " libsd.irx"? or is enough to be inferior version 2.0?
The new kernel (v4) allows use of dvd_video format to load files/data, and along with the new kloader 2.1 this allows the live_dvd version. This version has MANY improvements over 2.0 including that you no longer need to patch the LIBSD.IRX or SDRDRV.IRX. See this post - http://psx-scene.com/forums/showpost.ph ... ostcount=1
noiseand

Post by noiseand »

Só tenho uma coisa a dizer do kloader2.1: maravilhoso. As novas funções são muito úteis. Não tenho mais erros de eromdrv, etc.

Meus testes em uma tv convensional NTSC com cabo original do ps2 foi bem sucedida, a imagem ficou perfeita.

Usei o LIBSD.IRX com patch e SDRDRV.IRX do RTE e o som funcionou muito bem.

Agora preciso encontrar um meio de assistir vídeos diretamente do Youtube via browser.

--------------

I only have a thing to say of kloader2.1: wonderful. The new functions are very useful. I do not have more errors of eromdrv, etc.

My tests in a convensional TV NTSC with original handle of ps2 were successful, the image were perfect.

I used the LIBSD.IRX with patch and SDRDRV.IRX of the RTE and the sound functioned very well.

Now necessary to find a way to attend videos directly of the Youtube it saw to browser.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

deba5er wrote:From the readme it is noted that the ESR launch was untested so I decided to test it.
This is an obvious test to make, but for this case it was probably doomed from the start, as kernel loading is one of the few things that should replace every single system vector throughout the entire system...

That is bound to kill the ESR driver which is required to access the original UDF content of an ESR patched disc, and even for a non-patched disc it is going to disrupt operations when a custom driver is killed during mid-access...
I tested ESR r9b from FMCB 1.8 on version 9 PS2 without going to ULE first and from ULE running ESR second. Neither worked. I also used direct dvd off ESR and disc control off in ULE to see if this would work. Nothing worked.
This is to be expected.
It hangs at Reseting IOP with "Loading, please wait..." at the bottom of the screen. I also must run kloader2.1.elf from the memory card or usb flash drive from ULE to get the LiveDVD to work.
In that case I guess you did not ESR-patch the disc, as that should have allowed it to at least boot normally, like ESR-patched games do. But the test would still have failed either at the IOP reset or at some other point when the ESR driver gets killed.

Since it was designed for use either with homebrews or normal PS2 games I don't see how the same driver could also be Linux-compatible.
The new kernel (v4) allows use of dvd_video format to load files/data, and along with the new kloader 2.1 this allows the live_dvd version.
Since you already had to make changes to make it take normal DVD-Video format, perhaps you should take that one step further and also make it support the special format of an ESR-patched disc. But for complete functionality a similar change would also be needed for a CDVD driver of the kernel itself.

The current problem is two-fold.

Without an ESR-patch normal booting of the disc is impossible, as that can only be done by FMCB+ESR or by uLE+ESR for DVD-Video discs that are recognized as bootable, rather than normal movie discs, by the presence of the special ESR patch sector.

With an ESR-patch, on the other hand, the ESR driver (or other methods similar to those of ESR) will be required to access the original UDF content, as it will otherwise 'see' only the dummy video files (not those of the LiveDVD, but those of the ESR patch).

Recognizing the disc as being ESR patched, and thus needing this special treatment is very simple, and is clearly illustrated in the source code of uLE, and how it uses its "chkesr" module that was added for that purpose (first appeared in uLE v4.32). That module was originally contributed by jimmikaelkael at psx-scene, as an offshoot from the FMCB project, but I'm sure he would not mind its code being reused here again.

noiseand

Post by noiseand »

Voces tentaram rodar uma imagem iso do dvd live via HDLOADER, USB ADVANCE, etc?

Um usb live com o mesmo conteudo do dvd funcionaria?

Vi que voces comentaram algo sobre a perda de dados no pendrive ou algo assim. Existe algum problema em usa-lo para assistir vídeos salvos nele?

---------------------------

You had tried to twirl an image iso of dvd live saw HDLOADER, USB ADVANCE, etc?

One usb live with the same content of dvd would function?

You that had commented something on the loss of data in pendrive or something thus. Exists some problem in uses it to attend safe videos in it?
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@noiseand
One usb live with the same content of dvd would function?
It would work on FAT PS2 only, but would need some reconfiguration to work. USB is not working under heavy I/O load (needed for PS2-Linux) for v14+ Slim PSTwo.
noiseand

Post by noiseand »

Os testes com o live dvd estaão indo bem.

Com ja disse, em uma tv normal, obtenho imagem em preto e branco e numa hdtv, com cabo de video componentente, a imagem fica rosa.

Percebi que a imagem fica rosa no boot e ao carregar a inteface grafica, mas ao abrir os progamas, exibir alguns vídeos ele aparenta voltar ao normal.

Não estou gostando do desempenho do ps2 para rodar videos, independente do formato, usando o mplayer e não achei outra forma de fazer isso.

O que estive pensando é usar o processamento do pc para isso, assim como o alguns softwares já fazem, porem usando o vnc ou terminal server para isso, ou seja, usando o linux no ps2 para controlar o pc remotamente.

Alguma maneira de controlar o cursor do mouse do linux via controle do ps2?

--------------------------

The tests with live dvd estaão going well.

With already it said, in a normal TV, I get image in black color and white and in one hdtv, with video handle componentente, the image is pink. I perceived that the image is pink in boot and when loading inteface graphical, but when opening progammas, to show some videos it makes look like to come back to the normal one.

I am not liking it performance it ps2 to twirl videos, independent of the format, using mplayer and I did not find another form to make this. What it stows thinking is to use the processing of the PC for this, as well as some softwares already makes, to put using vnc or server terminal for this, that is, using linux in ps2 to control the PC remotely.

Some way to control the cursor of mouse of linux saw control of ps2?
noiseand

Post by noiseand »

Como é gerado o DISC.BIN do dvd, via dd, a partir de um hd?

Minhas intenções agora são de tentar usar o ps2linux com XBMC, ou ainda como thin client, também tentando usar um rdesktop.

Sobre a imagem rosa em uma hdtv, bastou ajustar a matiz, de 50/50 para 10/90 em verde/vermelho, que as cores podem ser exibidas normalmente.

-----------------------

How is generated the DISC.BIN of dvd, saw dd, from one hd?

My intentions now are to try to use ps2linux with XBMC, or still as thin client, also trying to use one rdesktop.

On the pink image in one hdtv, was enough to adjust the shade, of 50/50 for 10/90 in green/red, that the colors can be shown normally.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

Deba5er has a tool for controlling the mouse with the PS2 pad.

The DISC.BIN was created with Ubuntu the following way:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=DISC.BIN bs=1024 count=$[ 1024 * 1024 ]
mkfs.ext2 -I 128 DISC.BIN
mkdir /mnt/disc
mount -o loop DISC.BIN /mnt/disc
Then I extracted the files from deba5er's TGZ files. I moved some directories and created links to the initrd instead of the original directories.
I tested it using the USB method described in the README on the disc.

XBMC uses too much new libraries and it depends on the Adobe Flash Player. It will be really complicated to compile it on a PS2, because you need first to get something like a new Ubuntu running on the PS2. For this you will need Linux 2.6 and a new gcc compiler. Finally it will fail, when you try to find the Adobe Flash Player for MIPS.
noiseand

Post by noiseand »

Entendi perfeitamente.

A ferramenta do Deba5er esta no dvd live?

Então vou seguir para o plano B e C, já que o XBMC não daria certo. E o geexbox?

Voces já instalaram um cliente rdp ou vnc para poder conectar a um pc?

Todo este trabalho de fazer do ps2 uma central multimedia e porque não consigo conectar meu pc na tv.

----------------------

I understood perfectly.

The tool of the Deba5er this in dvd live?

Then I go to follow for plain B and C, since the XBMC would not give certain. And geexbox?

You already had installed a customer rdp or vnc to be able to connect to a PC?

All this work to make of ps2 a central office multimeasured and because I do not obtain to connect my PC in the TV.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@noiseand and Mega Man
To get the PS2 Live Linux DVD version 1 to boot for my NTSC setup AND have a working Gamepad Mouse function I need to:
1) Start the PS2 Live Linux DVD
2) Control-C right before X-Windows starts (after you see the "adent login" message")
3) You are given a prompt in /oldroot/home/adent
4) "vi .bash_profile" and change the last line from ". win3" to ". $HOME/win3". There is a space after the dot.
5) "cp /usr/local/bin/win3 $HOME" and "vi $HOME/win3"
6) Change the X-Windows video mode in the "sudo" line, replacing "PAL,inter" with "NTSC,inter" or whatever mode you are using.
7) To get the gamepad working, after the sudo line you must add two lines:
sleep 8
/usr/local/bin/startjs &

8) At the prompt, enter "exit" and you will restart the login process and X-Windows
9) The red LED on the gamepad is not on by default, so you must press the Analog button on your gamepad to allow the gamepad left joystick to control the mouse cursor. The L1/L2 buttons are the mouse right/left clicks.

IMPORTANT - What you are doing above is NOT permanent, and is just for one session. It will suffice for testing leading to a better working version 2.

I have only just got my replacement PS2 setup enough to do testing again so sorry for the delay.
noiseand

Post by noiseand »

Perfeito!

O mouse pode ser controlado via controle do ps2 ou controle remoto do dvd.

Sobre as alterações no .bash_profile e win3, tambem funcionaram bem. As alterações se perdem no reboot, correto? Não adiantaria deixar na pasta kloader do mc como o site do Deba5er´s diz?

Agora tenho a imagem em cores na hdtv, tanto no cabo de video composto, quanto no de video componente.

O acessos aos arquivos do mc, tambem foram um sucesso.

Parabens!

Com isso, minha ideia de settopbox esta se tornando real.

Como funciona a licença do live dvd? Eu poderia fazer as alterações que necessito e redistribuir, mantendo a autoria do Deba5er´s?

------------------------------------------

Perfect!

Mouse can be controlled saw control of ps2 or remote control of dvd.

On the alterations in .bash_profile and win3, they had also functioned well. The alterations if lose in reboot, correct? It would not advance to leave in the folder to kloader of the mc as the site of the Deba5er´s says?

Now I have the image in colors in hdtv, as much in the handle of composed video, how much in the one of component video.

The accesses to the archives of the mc, had also been a success.

Congratulations!

With this, my idea of settopbox this if becoming real.

How functions the license of live dvd? I could make the alterations that I need and to redistribute, keeping the authorship of the Deba5er´s?
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@noiseand
How functions the license of live dvd? I could make the alterations that I need and to redistribute, keeping the authorship of the Deba5er´s?
We need to get the source for BlackRhino before redistribution as this is the base package for my distro and the live DVD. I have contacted and await word from the old BlackRhino team on when they can post the source. This is to adhere to the GPL associated with GNU software (binaries in BlackRhino). It has been since 2003, so it may take some time to recover.

Mega Man authored the Live DVD using the BlackRhino PS2-Linux with my modifications.
hxmshop_com

Post by hxmshop_com »

Mega Man wrote:
devilinside128 wrote:
mount - r / dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1/usb
... and it shows the following message:
mount: can`t find / dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1/usb in / etc/fstab or / etc/tap
There is a space missing before /usb and I think it is better to use part2:
mount - r / dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 /usb

You need another partition for the source files (*.tar.gz).
The kernelloader is excellent, also the Linux install howto. Thank you Mega Man!
I'm trying to get linux running on a mod-chipped ps2 slim v15, dreaming of something like loading kernel & initrd from usb or cd and mounting the rootfs via nfs.
noiseand

Post by noiseand »

deba5er wrote:@noiseand and Mega Man
To get the PS2 Live Linux DVD version 1 to boot for my NTSC setup AND have a working Gamepad Mouse function I need to:
1) Start the PS2 Live Linux DVD
2) Control-C right before X-Windows starts (after you see the "adent login" message")
3) You are given a prompt in /oldroot/home/adent
4) "vi .bash_profile" and change the last line from ". win3" to ". $HOME/win3". There is a space after the dot.
5) "cp /usr/local/bin/win3 $HOME" and "vi $HOME/win3"
6) Change the X-Windows video mode in the "sudo" line, replacing "PAL,inter" with "NTSC,inter" or whatever mode you are using.
7) To get the gamepad working, after the sudo line you must add two lines:
sleep 8
/usr/local/bin/startjs &

8) At the prompt, enter "exit" and you will restart the login process and X-Windows
9) The red LED on the gamepad is not on by default, so you must press the Analog button on your gamepad to allow the gamepad left joystick to control the mouse cursor. The L1/L2 buttons are the mouse right/left clicks.

IMPORTANT - What you are doing above is NOT permanent, and is just for one session. It will suffice for testing leading to a better working version 2.

I have only just got my replacement PS2 setup enough to do testing again so sorry for the delay.
Estou refazendo o live dvd com a alterações acima e ainda incluindo os binarios rdesktop e firefox para tentar usa-los.

Usei o kloader21 com root no hd usb externo e deu certo, embora ainda trave um pouco.

-------------------------

I am remaking live dvd with the binary alterations above and still including rdesktop and firefox to try it uses them.

I used kloader21 with root in hd usb external and gave certain, even so still bar a little.