ps2 linux on usb memory

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

devilinside128 wrote: could you put the download link?, what happens in official home page in this remodeling, or something like that. thanks
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=613023
noobiePS2

Post by noobiePS2 »

hello to everybody i'm new....

I got ps2 slim with freevast/McBoot 1.5 so i was wondering if there's a way to have Linux via a LIVE CD / DVD distro or to have
a distro to launch thru my 4 giga pendrive or my 2 giga pendrive.....

So i was also wondering if there's a tutorial or maybe it's too soon
for McBoot users.....

Thanks in advance LOL

:)
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

noobiePS2 wrote: I got ps2 slim with freevast/McBoot 1.5 so i was wondering if there's a way to have Linux via a LIVE CD / DVD distro or to have
a distro to launch thru my 4 giga pendrive or my 2 giga pendrive.....

So i was also wondering if there's a tutorial or maybe it's too soon
for McBoot users.....
This doesn't depend on the ELF loader, you use. Everything you need to know is contained in this thread. On installation you will encounter Linux problems and not PS2 problems.
I will not write a tutorial for slim PSTwo, because I don't have a PSTwo and there are too many possibilties for the root file system and partitioning (USB memory stick/hard disc/cdrom/cdrw, USB Bluetooth, USB firewire, EXT2, EXT3, VFAT, ReiserFS, NFS, initrd, ISO9660, AFS, PFS, mcfs, DHCP, BOOTP, PPPoE, blackrhino, gentoo and many more).
Somebody who have the slim PSTwo needs to write it and test which is the best and what is working.

A live Video DVD distribution will not work, because rom1:EROMDRV is removed on V15 and I don't know which file I need to load:
EROMDRVA EROMDRVC EROMDRVE EROMDRVJ EROMDRVM EROMDRVO EROMDRVR EROMDRVU
dirsors

Post by dirsors »

MegaMan, thanks for help. Using another keyboard solved the issue, and now kloader works great. Thankyou again!
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

A live Video DVD distribution will not work, because rom1:EROMDRV is removed on V15 and I don't know which file I need to load:
EROMDRVA EROMDRVC EROMDRVE EROMDRVJ EROMDRVM EROMDRVO EROMDRVR EROMDRVU
somebody on psx-scene forums discovered that slim ps2 carries multiple dvd player encrypted files, for each region - named in similar manner.

i assume you need to load e.g. EROMDRVE to acces DVDPLE (european dvd player region). you might get extra help on psx-scene forums with that.

thanks for blackrhino image. i got kinda scared that the site went down. i'm hoping to update it using chewi's gentoo-ps2 patchset in a few weeks.

i'm not sure about EROMDRVR, as i'm not familiar with such region code.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

yoshi314 wrote:somebody on psx-scene forums discovered that slim ps2 carries multiple dvd player encrypted files, for each region - named in similar manner.
This is very interesting and it makes sense. I will include code that will use ROMVER to detect the region (this is normally used to detect NTSC or PAL).

I am currently trying to get my next release stable.
After some changes there is a problem with USB. It seems that USB is only working when using RTE modules or don't load any module.

dirsors, can you use your not working keyboard and disable all modules and check if this is working? I just want to know if this bug was already in the last release.
CyberVoyager

Don't know how to start the GUI

Post by CyberVoyager »

Hello,

I booted using Kernelloader and the blackrhino "vmlinux.ker" file as the kernel(the file is from the Blackrhino RTE CD), and with initrd disabled.

After booting I was at a prompt and with the text above saying that / is readonly and I could use mount to make it writable.

I can switch to / and list the files on my Hdd, whose files were copied from a Linux PC, as well as excuting some text programs such as editor, but I can't find a way to boot a GUI desktop like Window Maker, X Window or something. The Blackrhino Distribution was about 20.8 MB.

Is it true that this distribution doesn't have a gui or have I missed something? Or have my text Linux have already been successfully installed?

And how to get a GUI running on the PS2 without buying Sony Linux Kit DVDs?

Thank you very much.

P.S. The following is what I did in detail:------------------------------------

I have the the thick ps2 and an internal hdd(Samsung 40G).

I failed fdisk the hdd using the kernelloader run from LaunchElf, and I did the steps in the tutorial on a Linux running on a PC:

I fdisked the Hdd into a 128MB Swap and the rest space the Ext2 filesystem.

did mkswap the /dev/hda1
did mke2fs the /dev/hda2

And I uncompressed everything using "tar" from the blackrhino_baseimage-1.0.tar.gz to the root directory of the Samsung HDD's ext2 partition

And I booted using kernelloader as described above.

Finally I was at the prompt and couldn't find a way to boot GUI.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

Is it true that this distribution doesn't have a gui or have I missed something? Or have my text Linux have already been successfully installed?
blackrhino tarball provided a minimal system with the most necessary tools. the rest of software was supposed to by downloaded by the user via apt-get from blackrhino servers.

since the servers are down, we can only try to build our own packages. i'm currently reading on cross-compiling. i'm trying to use ps2sdk together with blackrhino base to make something useful and more up-to-date for ps2. but that'll take some time.

by the way, i was wondering - would it be possible to make a more stripped down version of the kernelloader, that would accept a default config file and instantly start the kernel, without the fancy GUI?
CyberVoyager

How to get a GUI for Blackrhino base image

Post by CyberVoyager »

Since the blackrhino server is down, the apt-get doesn't work any more.

I wonder if I can get graphical user interface compiled for Blackrhino somewhere on the web. If you know a link to get it please post it here.

If it's not possible to find one I wonder if I can get a tutorial on cross-compiling the source code into Blackrhino executables, since the KDE source code is available.

Thanks.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

If it's not possible to find one I wonder if I can get a tutorial on cross-compiling the source code into Blackrhino executables, since the KDE source code is available.
kde is unreasonable for ps2. it has only 32mb of ram. maybe older kde was less ram-hungry, but now things are different.

i'd recommend wmaker/fluxbox instead.
CyberVoyager

Can anyone tell me how to install a WindowMaker?

Post by CyberVoyager »

I have found a WindowMaker.deb file and I thought the architecture of the ps2 cpu was MIPS and the MIPS version of this file would work in Blackrhino, but when I copied the file there and used dpkg to install it it said the architecture "MIPS" doesn't meet with the system “ee". And when I searched for ee versions of wmaker I didn't find anything.

If you know a place to download the ee version of WindowMaker or a method to compile WindowMaker source code into ee please tell me.

Thank you very much.
CyberVoyager

P.S.

Post by CyberVoyager »

P.S.

Downloading place of any graphical desktop environment for the ps2 is appreciated.

Thanks.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

yoshi314 wrote:would it be possible to make a more stripped down version of the kernelloader, that would accept a default config file and instantly start the kernel, without the fancy GUI?
This was already requested and was added to the CVS. You can select an auto boot time. I uploaded a new release at:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=223793

This is the offical version with slim PSTwo support. You need to select a rpc type interrupt module. Normally this would be "host:TGE/intrelay-direct-rpc.irx". The default "host:TGE/intrelay-direct.irx" needs then to be disabled.
I fixed the EROMDRV stuff. It also supports to extract the modules and SBIOS from Sony's Linux Kit DVD 1. So you can get for example DMA support by using mc0:kloader/dmarelay.irx. If you select the RTE SBIOS, you will get sound support, but loose CD/DVD support and slim PSTwo support.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@Megaman - Thanks for the new release's autoboot feature. Makes bootup a "start and go to the kitchen for a beer, come back and login" experience (ULE is set to autostart kloader).

I have a kit and have compiled RTE, and just wanted to note that in using the Ubuntu 8.04 VMWare image (the only way to compile for PS2 in Windows Vista reliably - cygwin and mingw do not work for me), I had to change two lines in loader/Makefile to get it to compile properly:

In this section:
rominitialize.h: $(RGBFILES)

I changed the two lines containing the 3:3 -->
if [ "$${file: -3:3}" = "rgb" ]; then \
TO -->
if [ `echo $$file | cut -f2 -d'_'` = "rgb" ]; then \

For your mention of DMA, I can use the kit to get UDMA to show in the logs for my hard drive when the kit loads, but only PIO for kernelloader/RTE. Additionally the sound driver only shows the 32 bit DMA version in the log under the Sony kit loading. Is there a way to get kernelloader to load the DMA drivers? Maybe I'm missing a setting?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

deba5er wrote: For your mention of DMA, I can use the kit to get UDMA to show in the logs for my hard drive when the kit loads, but only PIO for kernelloader/RTE. Additionally the sound driver only shows the 32 bit DMA version in the log under the Sony kit loading. Is there a way to get kernelloader to load the DMA drivers? Maybe I'm missing a setting?
You need at least to load dmarelay.irx from RTE. The original Linux 2.2 supports it. Linux 2.4.17 uses a different dma driver (The rpc id is different. I already tried to change these numbers, but this is incompatible). Linux 2.4.17 was developed for the BB Navigator. The interface changed. I believe when you get the dmarelay.irx from the BB Navigator, it will work. But I don't tested this and I don't have the BB Navigator.
Sound is only working when DMA works. I just know it is working, but I don't look further which DMA version it uses. This could be also related to BB Navigator.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

Thanks. The sound driver shows the non-dma version when the RTE/dmarelay.irx is not loaded, and I use the blackrhino 2.2.21 kernel. I think you might find it interesting that I can get the blackrhino kernel to load with the RTE/dmarelay.irx when I use kernel parameter ide=nodma. This parameter is not accepted by the PS2 IDE driver, showing a ide_setup error, but it trips it into PIO mode, without disturbing the DMA access by the sound driver and the ethernet driver. At least the sound driver reports as 32 bit DMA, and the ethernet driver does not show the PIO mode. So the RTE/dmarelay.irx only fails to boot for me when trying to use DMA with the IDE driver. It still is slower than the booted RTE in that with the IDE in PIO mode, mplayer (compiled latest version) still has slight stutters in sound when playing .mpg and .flv samples (even in small window on screen), compared to the booted Linux RTE which doesn't. I'm no longer using the old RTE boot though because you've done such a good job and it is just too cool to be able to boot to ULE, pause for input, then autoboot through your loader to the Linux prompt. Can't do that with the kit dvd ;-) Let me know if you want tar.gz dillo 086, xmms, wmaker, openssh, etc.
PS getting the dmarelay.irx from the bbnav might be difficult due to encrypted .PAK files. Anyone who knows otherwise?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

deba5er wrote: PS getting the dmarelay.irx from the bbnav might be difficult due to encrypted .PAK files. Anyone who knows otherwise?
The following side talks about pak and bbnav:
http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_xploit-g ... 855900_s60

The side is spanish. Maybe someone here can translate it. Google translator told me something about zip. You should try some unpacking tools like unzip. Did you tried the linux command "file"?
belek666

Post by belek666 »

deba5er wrote: Let me know if you want tar.gz dillo 086, xmms, wmaker, openssh, etc.
Deba5er, can you upload your tar.gz compiled mplayer?
deba5er

MPlayer for PS2, wmaker, dillo-mod, pidgin, xmame106, xmms

Post by deba5er »

@belek666 - Try this - http://www.4shared.com/dir/8728191/2a84 ... aring.html

"ldd mplayer" shows 35 shared libs so you might want to make sure they are all there. You can either "make install" or just run from the main directory "./mplayer"

It is the latest version, and it is configured for X-Windows libraries.

OK I put all of my compiles up except the openssh5. A shame 4shared won't handle a larger than 100MB file, as I have lots of config and tweaking of various files for things like memory optimization, fixing backspace in dillo and pidgin apps, configuring wmaker prefs, dillo prefs, sudo stuff, scripts to start the least necessary to run x-windows. It would be neat to load a full partition backup tgz with all settings for a useable NTSC system. This gets around the massive shared library dependency issues you will undoubtedly encounter trying to install these things one at a time. I suppose for now, as questions come up, put on psx-scene forums and I'll see what I can provide.
belek666

Re: MPlayer for PS2, wmaker, dillo-mod, pidgin, xmame106, xm

Post by belek666 »

deba5er wrote:@belek666 - Try this - http://www.4shared.com/dir/8728191/2a84 ... aring.html

"ldd mplayer" shows 35 shared libs so you might want to make sure they are all there. You can either "make install" or just run from the main directory "./mplayer"
Thanks for mplayer. I tried run it but shows error. Maybe upload your tar.gz image partition.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

@deba5er,

I'm curious about the xmame-0.106-ps2.tar.gz, and since I don't have the ps2 linux installed, I ask : How's the performance of it, compared to the non-linux host only ps2mame?
deba5er

xmame 106

Post by deba5er »

ps2mame is much better as it uses the ps2pad, but is very quick. I notice it only works with older games. The xmame 106 was just to determine that the last x-windows version of mame was compileable (barely) on ps2-linux. It plays galaga and the like fine, but in a smaller x-window than the full-screen ps2mame. Of course this is right out of the box with no tweaks, just a couple mods to get it to compile and run. same thing with the newest pidgin is that it runs fine, but is slow. Dillo on the other hand is just fine, and in fact I'm writing this in dillo on the PS2 right now while xmms plays internet radio (Libertines) in the background with no slowness. This stuff may be off topic. I check psx-scene forums regularly, if you put these questions there in the PS2 General Discussion I will look there most days. Thanks as always to Megaman for making PS2-Linux available to the masses!
Apolo8

vmlinuz - vmlinuz.devx

Post by Apolo8 »

Where can I find those two...? VMLINUZ and VMLINUZ.DEVX

I,ve been on the site on sourceforge linked from the tut but I only see blackrhino , initrd , kloader and linux kernel source...

Stoped here right now...any help please...

Un Saludo...

Edit:
Last edited by Apolo8 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
cosmito

Re: vmlinuz - vmlinuz.devx

Post by cosmito »

Apolo8 wrote:Where can I find those two...?
They are not part of the Mega Man linux but ps2mame is easy to find.
http://www.richpsx.com/playstation2/uti ... 2mame.html
It was just the 1st hit using google. I think it's only NTSC.
Apolo8

Post by Apolo8 »

Sorry...I,ve already edited my last post...what I was loocking for were vmlinuz and vmlinuz.devx...

Un Saludo...
mazxim

Post by mazxim »

..after all this work, anyone out there who really understand what to do can upload an image for a pendrive capable to run complete decent linux environment, I mean GUI as fluxbox or so, basic tools etc.. capable to work on the PSTwos (ULE+KernelLoader+TheRest) ? It would be very nice.
mazxim

Re: vmlinuz - vmlinuz.devx

Post by mazxim »

Apolo8 wrote:Where can I find those two...? VMLINUZ and VMLINUZ.DEVX
..there you go
mazxim

again and again and....

Post by mazxim »

Some page ago it was said that for correctly mount usb pendrive, after all, we need this:

mount - r /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 /usb

BUT with the kernel provided by Mega Man for the ps2 slim issue about the keyboard, I can't see any /dev/scsi path. That test-kernel is the only one I can use with the keyboard. MegaMan.. please..
mazxim

Post by mazxim »

So.. I'm here again, with a noob question. I still can't understand. I'm trying to compile the kernel (2.4.17) in an attempt to resolve the usb issue, follow the MegaMan's guide but nothing. Initially tried with Cygwin with a discrete headache as result. Now I'm on linux with toolchain pretty setup. Apparently It can't compiled with last gcc 3.2.2, with a "cast from pointer to integer" errors here and there.

Nevermind. The guide talk about using this versions of gcc and binutils:

https://playstation2-linux.com/files/ps ... oss.tar.gz
https://playstation2-linux.com/files/ps ... oss.tar.gz

but i'm unable to correctly setup these in the environment. Any step by step suggestion to compile the kernel?
bee7

Re: again and again and....

Post by bee7 »

mazxim wrote:Some page ago it was said that for correctly mount usb pendrive, after all, we need this:

mount - r /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 /usb

BUT with the kernel provided by Mega Man for the ps2 slim issue about the keyboard, I can't see any /dev/scsi path. That test-kernel is the only one I can use with the keyboard. MegaMan.. please..
i experience the same with my pstwo slim, the kernel is not fully functional, i think we need to modify the kernel so it load usb driver, anybody know how to do this? sorry im just noob :)