ps2 linux on usb memory

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

bruno.bertechini

Post by bruno.bertechini »

Well, Im back with some updates.

My slim PSTwo is now workign with ps2link and I am able to debug / go deep into the delay and eromdrvloader.irx problem from kernelloader2.0.

Megaman: I will give a try tonight after work.

The network problems was related to the "DVD+R DL" option from my modchip (Thunder Pro II).I still cannot boot linux but this is a matter for the future (soon).

-> It keeps saying the usb is not connected (several times and dont top saying). So i cannot see /dev/sda after booting the kernel.

I have just recompiled kernelloader and new kernel and will give a shot later and post the results.

It seems like even with deba5er initrd, if the console is modded with Thunder Pro II it WILL detect network but the USB is not functional..I will try different combinations anyway.

For the post: I am using the slim PSTwo SCPH-79001 (v16) with a Video Component cabe connected to a VGA adapter and a 17" LCD Monitor using VESA as graphic mode.
SlimSilver wrote: You prolly cannot see, but the letters have a slight purple tinge. I do not know if that is normal. I am still attempting to get this keyboard to work. Do you have any idea why it would not work?
SlimSilver, this is because the "graphic mode" configure either on you PS2 or kernel.

Try to boot into PS2 default configuration (boot normally without any media inserted) and choose the correct one for your case: RGB / Y br ...etc..

That should do the trick.
Last edited by bruno.bertechini on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

Well, I tried this other keyboard, and it works in the Linux shell, but not the kernel loader. So i have two keyboards plugged in. I wish it were possible to provide a much wider range of keyboard support...

I am in the process of resizing this 2GB thumb drive...I tried to press the crtl button on the keyboard to get rid of the scren saver but it appears that the keyboard is not woriking during the process. I hope it will regain access after this resize is done.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@bruno.bertechini

Interesting about the modchip. I would have never thought about it. As far as the usb messages go, did you set the kernel parameter to include "newroot=/dev/sda3"? Look at the config files in ps2linux_v0.7.zip here - http://www.4shared.com/dir/10437217/89c ... istro.html

@bruno.bertechini and SlimSilver - The USB flash drive is known to hang and have problems on the Slim. So if something like a resizing takes more than 5 minutes, something is not working. I had some people note partial success using the pre-built images which you install to the USB drive from a Windows-based PC, but I have heard of no successful cases of using the USB drive on my distro (maybe it works on another distro?) on any model above v12 for long periods of time (over 10 minutes) without problems.

peterdcrees has put some efforts into running from NFS until this problem is resolved. I have put much effort into running from a Windows share.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

SlimSilver wrote:Hmm...I wonder what sort of keyboard would work? Brand wise. This thing i have here is...um..a 'Microinv' keyboard.
I use the Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 (comes with keyboard, mouse, and Infrared receiver). It is not good to far beyond 10' though. It works from my coffee table to my TV with no problems.
bruno.bertechini

@MegaMan:

I'm getting this error while trying to compile the custom ps2 kernel (following your README file):

/usr/local/ps2dev/ee/lib/gcc-lib/ee/3.2.2/../../../../ee/bin/as: unrecognized option `-mcpu=r5900'

Any idea?

looks like the Assembler for mips is not working correctly...
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

Oh dear. I have been working on this for HOURS! I cannot seem to input the proper numbers to partition this thumb drive properly. I keep changing the values, but I always receive this:

Note: Ignore the device removal message on the last line. I had to unplug the USB keyboard and reattach to my PC so I could type this message ;-)

Is there any help in this situation? The thumb drive's size is supposed to be 2GB, but Windows reports 1.79 GB and google converts this to 1832MB I guess. I never was good at conversion from GB to MB.

I am at my wits' end! It always appears that it is going to work, and then something else happens! Then I resolve that issue and yet ANOTHER issue arises!
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@SlimSilver

You may have already created the partitions on the usb drive and therefore at the first prompt of my installer where it asks for how large you want the FAT partition to be, you need to enter "undo". You can then retry the installation after a full restart of the PS2. I certainly can fix the automation for this, but since the Slim installation does not work from usb and I don't have a slim v14+ to test with, I've been focused on network-boot configuration.

Since you have a slim it is almost certain that it will hang during this installation, and you will be even more frustrated. This installer is beta and does not yet work reliably (if at all) on any slim pstwo to my knowledge except the v12 (which I have).

If you can wait until tomorrow night, I can upload and provide a link to a new 1GB image based on a Verbatim 1GB Store-n-go which should fit on many 1GB usb drives and will definitely fit on your ~2GB drive. I am on a limited bandwidth location now and cannot upload. This version will include mplayer, a youtube video viewing script, and a virtual keyboard for ps2pad use. Until then check out the ps2linux/ps2linux-usbinstaller_v0.7.txt file for more info.
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

I will be more than happy to wait for this, so long as you tell me how I am supposed to put that image on the thumb drive.

My ultimate goal is to turn this ps2 into a VERY simple webserver. I am quite sure it is possible, since the network is working. I assume there are other things that are needed, libs for the server, apache, php and whatnot. I think those can be installed using apt-get or whatever its called.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@SlimSilver

Firstly, I'm sorry if I wasn't clearer to Slim PSTwo owners about the ps2linux installer not working on v14+. I didn't intend to waste anyone's time and cause frustration. But since I don't have a Slim v14+ this is almost inevitable as you are seeing things I don't see. I am wondering after Bruno's experience if modchip owners may have to disable modchips and test again to see if this affects things.

Image loading from a PC might save you from hangups you experience when installing on the PS2 directly, but glitches may occur for heavy usb use (keyboard/mouse is not heavy use).

You must use a Windows-based PC to do this:

You can get the USB tool from http://www.alexpage.de/?page_id=41

You can use the GUI to "restore" the .imz file to the device or use the command line (as administrator). I have an older .imz file uploaded but I have found that it is not a good image so I need to re-upload this image tomorrow (with added stuff) - I'll post the link then. The image is slightly smaller so it will fit on more 1GB device types.

In Windows command prompt (RUN AS administrator):
usbitcmd l
#lists usb drives

usbitcmd r 2320 ps2linux_usb_v0.7_1G256M32M_verbatim.imz /c /d
#restore device "2320" from file into new usb device (about 3 min for 1GB)

You then edit the files on the FAT partition for NTSC/PAL, IP address, etc. and when you start kloader with the install "config.txt" file (FAT or Slim), select "i" from the installation script to customize the image for your PAL/NTSC/IP address changes which you made. It also allows switching between ext2 and ext3 or vice-versa at that time. Switching from ext3 to ext2 took about 4m 20s on a 745MB filesystem and another 1m 40s to resize the filesystem to fill out a 2GB USB drive, so if you want to switch filesystem type you will have to be patient. The fstab is automatically edited for the type and copied to /mnt/sda3/etc/fstab.

added - A web server is more than possible - here's a working example on Apache 1.3.37: http://crumby.err0neous.org/
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

Briliant! I await your post with this image!
bruno.bertechini

deba5er wrote: Interesting about the modchip. I would have never thought about it. As far as the usb messages go, did you set the kernel parameter to include "newroot=/dev/sda3"? Look at the config files in ps2linux_v0.7.zip here - http://www.4shared.com/dir/10437217/89c ... istro.html
Yes I did. Im now comparing (diff) the different configs I have. I have one working with the "DVD+R DL" option disabled, but network does not work. With this option enable I get usb messages.

I will try to disable the modchip completely through a menu option. But first I need to burn a media with uLaunchElf, since I always use my modchip function to boot kloader.

SlimSilver, take it easy with you goals...Dont be frustrated, or nervous about this. This is not a very common task specially because Sony has modified several things on newer models. We are a team trying to make it works for everybody...but thats not easy. Even if I found the problem with the v16+ I dont have others console to test and might be working only for this model (SCPH-79001).

Regards
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

I know this, I am a patient person. I am just happy that I got as far as I did. I am sure it will work though. I mean the only immediate issue right now is the partitioning and installing. I am unsure which version I have (v12 or whatever you were mentioning) but w\I would be more than happy to help you test stuff. Feel free to mesage me on one of those messengers for immediate communication.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@SlimSilver

It is posted on ps2.nuclearfall.com

Download the 1GB USB image:

(version 0.7 installer, 1GB image - 256MB FAT, 32MB Swap, 745MB Linux)

ps2linux_usb_v0.7_1G256M32M_verbatim.imz 251MB

Use the installer and select “i” to customize this image for your PS2.
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

Woot! Cheers!

I am on it and will give you an update
bruno.bertechini

Just to let you know.

Blackrhino is up and running in my SCPH-79001 v16 slim PSTwo. Network working as well.
Installed into a 256M USB Memory Stick.

Now I am going to uncompress and install deba5er custom distro.

@deba5er

Did you use blackrhino as base distro for your own? I was planning to use Debian mips (an older version). But I tried and the console is not able to execute the elf files...I think the MIPS hardware (cpu) is very different.

If I use the ps2toolchain to recompile a package from source it should run on ps2 right?

Bruno
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

just to give you an update, I may not have waited long enough, but nothing seems to be happening. The keyboard froze again, which imo is not a good sign, though the thumb drive light is still blinking.

edit: upon inspection, it appears the other usb slot becomes inactive and no longer provides power. Hmm...and how long is this supposed to take again? 10 minutes?
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

Yet another lovely update; it appears the install was complete...i switched the config files, things are loading and looking good, but X-Windows never starts!

Just a black screen.

:-(
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@SlimSilver
Yet another lovely update; it appears the install was complete...i switched the config files, things are loading and looking good, but X-Windows never starts!

Just a black screen.
Make sure you have changed /usr/local/bin/win3 to set for PAL or whatever crtmode you use. It is by default set to NTSC. If you are running X-Windows and need to get out enter <CTRL><ALT><BACKSPACE>

At the console text mode, you may not be able to see the characters on the left of the screen, but you can still enter commands. You can "su" then enter "changeme" which is the password. Then you can enter "vi /usr/local/bin/win3" and change from NTSC to your crtmode. vi is complicated though so you may have to google "man vi" to figure it out.
So what video output mode are you using?
bruno.bertechini

Just to notify:

The Blackrhino install is very unstable on slim PSTwo (SCPH-79001 - v16). It freezes all the time. And I get "segmentation fault" several times using apt-get and other commands.

Will try to fix the kernelloader and understand better the whole process (from boot to kernel up and running) and try o go a little further.

Bruno
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@bruno.bertechini

I used blackrhino as my base. You use ps2toolchain to compile native mode code, not ps2linux code. It is very different. If you want to compile a new distro, you should use the blackrhino or my blackrhino-based distro. The compilers are setup for ps2linux. I was careful to stick with the gcc 2.95 and base compile setup even though it is a pain in the butt to backport every linux package I want to add to the distro. It still would be neat if I could get my hands on the gcc 3.x compiler and related binutils as it would make compile-compatibility of package much better.

To build a scratch distro is a major undertaking. If you want to try, refer to chewi's and ragnarok2040's posts here. Chewi has asked for any takers to help takeover with his ps2linux toolchain update as he can't go it alone.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@bruno.bertechini
It freezes all the time.
This is the main problem right now. When the usb is accessed heavily on the slim pstwo v14+ it hangs. I don't know if it is my distro or if it is kernelloader. Either way a solution to this would be very desirable if you could help troubleshoot it.
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

My PS2 is connected to a Sony 60in HDTV 1080

The PS2 connecor is one of those Composite Cables

I do not know what proper settings to use.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@SlimSilver

edit /usr/local/bin/win3 script to replace the "NTSC,inter" with "DTV,480p" or "DTV,720p" or "DTV,1080i".
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

and TV margins should be?
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@slimsilver
and TV margins should be?
if you are getting cut off on the text on the left try 16 and 16 for the x and y margins.

if it still is cut off after starting X, just try 24 and 24 next time.
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

i must be doing something wrong...i still get a black screen
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@slimsilver,

if you have the one that came with your ps2, use the regular (non-composite) cable (yellow for video, red/white for audio) with your TV, and have it set to "NTSC,inter" for now just as a test.
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

Ok, I'm on it.

BTW, are you like serious that you dont have a messenger type something? communicating like this is something of like email.

Painfully Slow.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@slimsilver

I will have to reinstall pidgin on my ps2. It may take awhile. I agree IM would make this more efficient. I've never been one for using it though.
SlimSilver

Post by SlimSilver »

Oh, by all means, take your time. I will be at my PC for a few more hours yet. Well, good news about the funky video settings at least. The picture now appears proper, but the GUI still does not load! Instead, I receive this message:

Maybe you can decypher this meaning.