ps2 linux on usb memory

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

noiseand

ROM1:SDLIB - ROM1:SNDDRV

Post by noiseand »

Não consigo encontrar os modulos SDLIB e SNDDRV, nem no cd do RTE.

Será que não é possivel carregar um módulo para a placa de som da mesma forma como foi feito com a placa de rede e o módulo SMAPRPC?

"I do not obtain to find modules SDLIB and SNDDRV, nor in the compact disc of the RTE.

It will be that it is not possible to load a module for the sound plate in the same way as was made with the plate of net and module SMAPRPC?"
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@noiseand - These two modules are in your PS2 BIOS and kloader2.0 can select them in the Configuration Menu, Modules sub-menu. I selected both from ROM1 to get sound on my v7 PS2. Mega Man knows about the sound problems and discusses them in this thread a week ago. I don't think the sound works for v9 and newer. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has this working, but I don't know how to get it working. Sorry.
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Too bad sound doesn't work as i really liked it onto my ps2.
There is no good mp3 player around for the ps2 and i might got it on linux.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@W00fer,

I've always thought SMS was an excellent media player, and have used it for years for playing mp3s. I assume it doesn't have a feature you need and that certainly is where the PS2-Linux might come in handy. If for some reason you don't know about SMS [doubt it since you are on ps2dev forums ;-) ] here is the link:
http://members.casema.nl/eugene_plotnikov/
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Yes i know SMS player, but it's a very little thing i'm missing.

SMS player can't fast forward mp3 files.
PS2RealityMediaplayer does that, but it has strange usb errors, does not accept my 4GB memorystick (SMS player does that since it has updated usb drivers) and takes a while to start. It's very old.

Best solution would be to have fast forwarding in SMS, but i mailed Eugene (EEUG) and he told me that the mp3 player won't support it.

Too bad, since that would practically save my day.

Oh well, someday ps2linux sound works OR sms has fastforward in mp3.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@W00fer

For PS2-Linux sound you can ask Sarah Ewen , Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, Ltd. to release the RTE for free to the homebrew community like I did:
http://playstation2-linux.com/forum/mes ... g_id=51025

That seem less likely than your SMS update though...

In seriousness, I did spend a very late evening playing with which modules to load with kloader2.0 and think that although this is solve-able, it is a difficult problem. I think I remember Mega Man telling me that it was like reverse engineering a module with debug stripped. With no source, no debug, and the different BIOS versions changing how things work, it is just far beyond my abilities to resolve. However, Mega Man *did* get sound working with v3-v7 PS2 so it is possible, just very very hard.
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Problem is i don't have a V3-V7 ps2. It's a V12 Slim PSTwo i got.

EDIT: Ok new update. It seems that the usb drivers make a lot of difference.
My 30 GB iPod works well in PS2Reality media player, but my 4GB stick not.

In SMS my 4gb stick works but the ipod won't. Installing the old drivers in sms tomorrow.

Ontopic: is there a place where i can buy the VGA adapter so pstwo linux displays properly ?
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@W00fer

Hope the drivers work out for you in sms.
For ps2-linux you should not require the vga adapter. However you MUST edit the config.txt files and the win3 file in the ps2linux_v0.7.zip before using so that you can specify NTSC or PAL. The default is NTSC so I am assuming you are using PAL. Just replace every instance of NTSC with PAL in these files remembering that you must edit with notepad and the linefeed/carriage returns should not be changed. It looks like it is all on one line to Windows.

You can make a VGA cable, I have the specs somewhere at my house, but am not there now. This is NOT your problem however, as you are attaching to a television, right?
wisi

Post by wisi »

How to fix this > http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 902&prev=1 error? A year ago I got the same error when trying to start the GUI of the 800MB blackrhino distribution that could be downloaded from http://lamadrigueradeconejo.blogspot.co ... ebian.html . Back then I was using PS2 SCPH-30003.

Now, I installed the same distribution of Linux on a USB HDD using a PC with Ubuntu and then I connected the USB HDD to a PSTwo SCPH-79004 and it shoes the same error. What is the error about and how can it be fixed?

The problem turned out to be that I was using the wrong command - "startx -- - screen 0 PAL" and

Code: Select all

startx -- -screen 0 PAL
works and the GUI started!
Last edited by wisi on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
citronalco

Post by citronalco »

Just for the record: Kernelloader 2.0 works for my SCPH-77004 (as long as there's a disk in the ps2...).

Kernelloaders default configuration did not work - it loaded the modules for the fat ps2. Changed this to the suggested iomanX.irx, poweroff.irx, ps2dev9.irx, smaprpc.irx, intrelay-direct-rpc.irx and it worked.

I noticed that pings to my router take up to 12 seconds, some are even lost, both with intrelay-direct-rpc.irx and intrelay-dev9-rpc.irx.

Mega Man, I'm really impressed what you are doing.
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

deba5er wrote:@W00fer

Hope the drivers work out for you in sms.
For ps2-linux you should not require the vga adapter. However you MUST edit the config.txt files and the win3 file in the ps2linux_v0.7.zip before using so that you can specify NTSC or PAL. The default is NTSC so I am assuming you are using PAL. Just replace every instance of NTSC with PAL in these files remembering that you must edit with notepad and the linefeed/carriage returns should not be changed. It looks like it is all on one line to Windows.

You can make a VGA cable, I have the specs somewhere at my house, but am not there now. This is NOT your problem however, as you are attaching to a television, right?
I can hook up my ps2slim to a tv for linux yes, but it would be better if i had VGA support. I bought a box for that which claims to have VGA out for playstation. But it doesn't work on my V12. It only worked on a PSone or something ?! I have a topic here on ps2dev about that. I think the ps2slim gives too little power over the memory card ports to power the vga box.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@W00fer -

I found the webpage about making your own PS2 VGA Cable. I haven't done this myself, but it might help you:

http://skygate.bravehost.com/PS2_VGA_cable.html
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Many thanks man for your help. But i think that's micro-electronics stuff so i will have a look at it later !

I managed to get SMS player working with most of my usb devices, installed the old driver. The new mass driver works.
Also the new uLaunchelf 4.39 with multiple usb drives works very good.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

@deba5er: I saw pixel errors, but I don't remember if this was on fat or slim. As I tried it again, there were no errors.
On http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernell ... z/download I uploaded a new Linux kernel version without bwlinux restriction.

@wisi: I think your /tmp directory on your USB device is not writeable or the USB device is locked by a switch.

@citronalco: The slim modules are detected by the ROM version. A ROM version higher than 0x0190 will lead to loading the modules for the slim PSTwo. What ROM version do you use.
The network implementation is only a simple solution. It doesn't support multicast and link detection in Linux. The worst case latency is too big. Network is managed by the slow IOP CPU.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

Mega Man wrote:@deba5er: I saw pixel errors, but I don't remember if this was on fat or slim. As I tried it again, there were no errors.
On http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernell ... z/download I uploaded a new Linux kernel version without bwlinux restriction.
I assume this can be used with deba5er's existing distro just by copying the new gz file into the ps2linux folder in the FAT32 partition of the USB drive, and then editing the "config.txt" files to change the "v1" part of the kernel filename reference to "v2" instead.

Right ? (Will try this myself later...)

Exactly what will be the consequences of the removed restriction ?
(Working sound ? Better compatibility ?)
(I admit I am a bit dense on this subject ! :) )

Best regards: dlanor
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

Yes, you can replace just the kernel. Then you have full access to the memory card in Linux. So you don't need to use homebrew tools for replacing the configuration file on the memory card.

The installation process can be eased. You won't need to copy something to the memory card before starting installation. Copying from USB can be done in the initrd Linux installer. I think deba5er want to change the initrd to make it easier.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

Mega Man wrote:Yes, you can replace just the kernel. Then you have full access to the memory card in Linux. So you don't need to use homebrew tools for replacing the configuration file on the memory card.
Oh, now I see what you meant. You were referring to that bwlinux folder on MC (which folder I didn't even bother to create...)

Having access to the full MC will of course be a lot more useful.
The installation process can be eased. You won't need to copy something to the memory card before starting installation. Copying from USB can be done in the initrd Linux installer. I think deba5er want to change the initrd to make it easier.
Yes, that makes sense. Then he can make a script-GUI (sort of) with the capability of preparing the MC setup as the user specifies.

citronalco

Post by citronalco »

@Mega Man: Err, how can I find out the ROM version?
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@Mega Man - Thanks for the updated kernel. It works exactly as I thought it would and indeed it will allow better automation of getting the correct configuration file (config.txt) for the correct PS2 model type, sound or no sound, NTSC/PAL, etc.

I have been distracted from the project of late, but did order the a 1GB flash drive of the same make as dlanor's to create a smaller 1GB image, finished the prototype (but not initrd yet) of the samba mounted distribution (need to fix swapfile still), and am testing running without USB keyboard/mouse based upon peterdcrees note that sound works (RTE only) when NO usb devices are plugged in on the v15. I cannot find a v15 to test so the best next release I can make is an improvement in ease-of-use using the new mc-access kernel.

You had noted that you might be able to speed up the network on the Slim by using the EE instead of the IOP. Is this a difficult project? I noted that network loading is not much of a speed improvement over usb loading.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

citronalco wrote:@Mega Man: Err, how can I find out the ROM version?
If you mean the bios ROM of the PS2, then the standard method for a program to do it would be to open and read "rom0:ROMVER".

And if you just want to check the information for your own console, then the easiest way is to run a modern version of uLaunchELF on it and use the FileBrowser to launch "MISC/Debug Info", which will display the contents of the same ROMVER file as a string.

The first four digits of that string show the version number.

bruno.bertechini

Linux on slim PSTwo (SCPH-79000)

Post by bruno.bertechini »

Hi there, I finally got my ps2dev account working :)

Since a long time I am trying to have my Slim PSTwo to work with blackrhino distribution without success.

I have a SCPH-79000 (slim PSTwo) modded with Thunder Pro II chip. One of the newest versions of the console. As stated by wikipedia:

"In July 2007, Sony started shipping a revision of the slimline PlayStation 2 (SCPH-79000) featuring a reduced weight of 600 grams compared to 900 grams of the SCPH-77001, achieved through a reduction in parts. The unit also uses a smaller motherboard as well as a custom ASIC which houses the Emotion Engine, Graphics Synthesizer, and the RDRAM. The AC adaptor's weight was also reduced to 250 grams from the 350 grams in the previous revision.[22]"

First of all: Congratulations for MegaMan and deba5er for the great work done in the KernelLoader and PS2LinuxDistro respectively.

Thank you all from this forum for the ideas/answers/questions provided.

Lets go:"

I have tried several versions of KernelLoader without success. The only one working without any trick is the v1.4. V2.0 hang at the "LoadingMessage" with the ps2smap.irx at the top of the screem and the error "ero**vdloader". I can't see the whole message because the "floppy image is right on front of it".

I don't know if would success booting linux using kernelloader-1.4.

So I have two questions:

1) What should I need to do in order to have the kernel loader 2.0 working on my console?
-> I can see that noiseand (a brazilian user - I am also a brazilian user)
had configured his PSTwo using kernelloader-2.0

2) Are my versions correct?

Here they are:

Kernel: vmlinux-2.4.17-ps2-20080209 (from kernelloader page) -- should I use vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v2.gz? Does it work with kloader-v1.4?
Initrd: initrd.usb2.gz (from kernelloader page)
Kernelloader: v1.4 ( I have problems described above with 2.0).

Guys, many thanks in advance...

Regards!

Bruno
citronalco

Post by citronalco »

@Mega Man: uLaunchElf says my PS2 has ROM version 0220EC20060210_ (whatever that means).

@bruno.bertechini:
Try this: Delete all kernelloader settings from your memory card, put a disc in your PS2, plug in a network cable then try again with kernelloader 2.0.
You should at least get to the menu (it takes some time, be patient).
Picking the right modules was described earlier in this thread.
bruno.bertechini

citronalco wrote:@Mega Man: uLaunchElf says my PS2 has ROM version 0220EC20060210_ (whatever that means).

@bruno.bertechini:
Try this: Delete all kernelloader settings from your memory card, put a disc in your PS2, plug in a network cable then try again with kernelloader 2.0.
Thanks citronalco...I will do that with a disc inserted and network cable plugged.

I left the kernelloader "loading" without DISC and NETWORK cable and passed more than 2h and nothing happens :)

Will try that in a few hour and post the result!

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

By the way, I didn't find new posts regarding kernel-2.6 on PSTwo... Does anyone have any clue or recent info about that?

Bruno
bruno.bertechini

citronalco wrote:@Mega Man: uLaunchElf says my PS2 has ROM version 0220EC20060210_ (whatever that means).

@bruno.bertechini:
Thanks a lot citronalco, It Worked! My issue was: I didn't have a network cable AND DISC at the same time...lol

Well, kernelloader2.0.elf worked, at least. It shows up the error message:
"eromdrvloader.irx" and takes about 2 minutes to the message "Press CROSS to continue" to appear at the screen.

Now, using the kernel vmlinux-2.4.17-ps2-20080209 AND initrd.usb2.gz I can get into BASH because the kernel says that he didn't find my usb stick installation path...

I will take a closer look and post the results!

Many thanks !!!

Regards!!

Bruno
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@bruno.bertechini
You must use this kernel: vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v2.gz AND kloader2.0.elf
You must use the config.txt file from the install_slim directory on my usbinstaller (ps2linux_v0.7.zip).

However, only the initrd (ramdisk boot) works right now with my distro on v15+ (yours is v16 I think). During installation of PS2Linux to usb it hangs. If you pre-load the usb drive using an image (http://www.ps2.nuclearfall.com/) on a Windows-based PC, you can use the install_slim/config.txt to finish the install, and then select the run_slim/config.txt to run with kloader2.0. It will run but have some problems with hanging. Sorry, my distro doesn't work reliably yet with v15+ but I'm hopeful it will get solved (I don't have v15+ to test with though).
bruno.bertechini

deba5er wrote:@bruno.bertechini
You must use the config.txt file from the install_slim directory on my usbinstaller (ps2linux_v0.7.zip).

However, only the initrd (ramdisk boot) works right now with my distro on v15+ (yours is v16 I think). During installation of PS2Linux to usb it hangs. If you pre-load the usb drive using an image (http://www.ps2.nuclearfall.com/) on a Windows-based PC, you can use the install_slim/config.txt to finish the install, and then select the run_slim/config.txt to run with kloader2.0. It will run but have some problems with hanging. Sorry, my distro doesn't work reliably yet with v15+ but I'm hopeful it will get solved (I don't have v15+ to test with though).
Thanks deba5er, by the way, congratulations again for your installer...

I did have the problem you mentioned with usb with the initrd_install.

So I did the partitioning and installing of blackrhino (base image, not yours) using my debian laptop.

Just because at this moment, I have 02 memory stick: One 2Gb that is not working on PSTwo and a 256Mb (that I currently have blackrhino).

Without using the initrd_install (because I already have it installed and configured) I can boot and get into a bash shell using blackrhino.

I am still using the vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v1.gz just because I didnt copy the new one (v2_ yet).

Anyway, thanks A LOT for your help I will still need it tomorrow (because I will go further with this installation).

Give me few more hours and I can post my results on a v16 (I guess) console - SCPH-79001.

Regards!!!

Bruno
bruno.bertechini

deba5er, how can I help you with your distro? I really want to do that. I am a C/C++ programmer and also a Linux guy since 1994 :) . I have never programmed to Playstation2 like consoles, but I did have chance to work with cross-compiling and customization of Linux for ARM processors.

I am willing to help to port linux-2.6 to work natively on the console (linux-mips.org).

I have seen some threads in this forum, but none of them seems to be alive...

Let me know how can I help you...

In order to begin with the PS2 development, I would like to create "a Linux installer" in a elf format (using PS2 graphics) to install / partition / and do everything else for usb like installations.

Bruno
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@bruno.bertechini

The PS2 scene sometimes moves slowly, sometimes quickly, so just because you don't see many posts here doesn't mean work isn't happening in the background ;-)

It's good to hear you want to contribute. It sounds like you have plenty more experience than me. I can compile and modify others' work but am too rusty at coding from scratch to be worth much here. If you are a guru at gcc, toolchains, and kernels for Linux you might check out this thread and see if Chewi and Ragnarok2040 have some advice on building an updated toolchain, which would help update the kernel to 2.6. It seemed like a super-hard project to me. Just getting a working gcc 4.x based toolchain would be awesome for PS2-Linux. Heck, if I could get my hands on a working 3.x gcc for PS2Linux I would be happy (and these exist, I just didn't look hard enough I guess).

Here's a good place to start if you are such a guru:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

If you are more interested in the PS2 Native development it might be useful for v15+ owners if you could help Mega Man solve kernelloader 2.0 outstanding problems - http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelloader/
I'm especially interested in why my distro hangs on installing from USB.
bruno.bertechini

The PS2 scene sometimes moves slowly, sometimes quickly, so just because you don't see many posts here doesn't mean work isn't happening in the background ;-)

It's good to hear you want to contribute. It sounds like you have plenty more experience than me. I can compile and modify others' work but am too rusty at coding from scratch to be worth much here. If you are a guru at gcc, toolchains, and kernels for Linux you might check out this thread and see if Chewi and Ragnarok2040 have some advice on building an updated toolchain, which would help update the kernel to 2.6. It seemed like a super-hard project to me. Just getting a working gcc 4.x based toolchain would be awesome for PS2-Linux. Heck, if I could get my hands on a working 3.x gcc for PS2Linux I would be happy (and these exist, I just didn't look hard enough I guess).

Here's a good place to start if you are such a guru:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

If you are more interested in the PS2 Native development it might be useful for v15+ owners if you could help Mega Man solve kernelloader 2.0 outstanding problems - http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelloader/
I'm especially interested in why my distro hangs on installing from USB.
I will have a look on this thread...I have read lots of stuff from Chewi and others around here...

Regarding KernelLoader and your Distro's install:

#1 - As soon as I get a new memory stick ( I mean, greater than 256Mb =) ) I will try your install from scratch (but seriously, if we want to encourage the easy install of PS2Linux we should create an installer to run together with MegaMan's kernelloader).

#2 - MegaMan, this is for you: Can you point me to the method do debug your code and try to solve the 2.0 problem's with v15+ ? Specially the lazy load (wow, Object Oriented programming terms coming around ;) ) and eromdrvloader.irx issue. I didn't see kernelloader2.0 source code at sourceforge, so I assume it is commited into a svn... how can I get that?

Sorry if my questions around PS2 world are too basic, I promess I can learn fast and help you out... :)

#3 - deba5er, I figured out why I was using the kernel v1 (fat_slim). I've checked your "run_slim" folder at v0.7 and check it out the 6th line of yours config.txt:

"KernelFileName=mass0:/ps2linux/vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v1.gz"

I remember of have a look into this file and thought: "Oh I see, I need to use v1 instead of v2". ;)

Based on your previous post, I would say you'd rather use v2 instead of v1, right?

Finally, I got some news to POST:

######
My slim PSTwo SCPH-7900 (v16 I guess) is running blackrhino 1.0 using uLaunchELF (from modchip memory - integrated) to load MegaMan's KernelLoader-2.0 (still with some delay) and booting kernel vmlinux-2.4.17-ps2-20080209, initrd.usb2.gz and using a 256MB USB MemoryStick (with only 150Mb for Linux).
######

I can see blackrhino login prompt and I can log in and use basic linux commands.

My screen is still exploding (away from margin). Looks like My TV (21" non lcd) is not fully supported. I will try different vga= params to the kernel. Is there any specific mode to use for PS2-like ?

Next step: Get an updated toolchain, and port debian to run on Ps2 (debian on mips rocks).

=)

See you in a few more hours!

Cheers

Bruno
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

Based on your previous post, I would say you'd rather use v2 instead of v1, right?
The only difference that I'm aware of is that v2 has the ability to see the entire memory card contents when mounted. This is important to me as it will help me to use sed search and replace to automate the modification and use of the kloader configuration.
My screen is still exploding (away from margin). Looks like My TV (21" non lcd) is not fully supported. I will try different vga= params to the kernel. Is there any specific mode to use for PS2-like ?

You can adjust the the HSIZ and VSIZ, HPOS and VPOS on your TV if you feel comfortable with service modes. Otherwise you can use this version of X - http://phatbox.sixpak.org/ps2linux/
Example to set margins of 5 pixels:
export TV_MARGIN_X=5
export TV_MARGIN_Y=5

vga parameters won't work for CRT NTSC or PAL. You will have to do one of the above to fix it.