ps2 linux on usb memory

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

xbox-ua

Kernelloader 2.0 ???

Post by xbox-ua »

Mega Man, already has passed since then, and the new kernelloader you have not laid out during this time, even in beta version! Is there any hope or still is a barrier?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

I got network working with slim PSTwo. It is not fully tested. Status information is not yet supported.
The problem is that I lost interrupt support for internal hard disc. The driver is working when the timeouts expire. This makes the internal hard disc very slow (nearly unusable).
I am trying to get the release stable. The source code of the unstable version is checked into CVS at sourceforge.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't recognized the changed policy for supplying patches. So I moved patches to the correct forum.
Last edited by Mega Man on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Unfornunably I cannot fix it for you but the "Patch Submissions" section (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewforum.php?f=31) is the official place for patches.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

The new kernelloader 2.0 is now available.

The new features are:
- Easier setup, just choose "Restore defaults" in "File Menu" to get the best configuration.
- Support for network on slim PSTwo.
- One Linux kernel can be used for slim PSTwo and fat PS2. This is the first Linux released which supports the network on the slim PSTwo.
- To switch between slim and fat, you need to select "Restore defaults" or don't load a configuration from the memory card (e.g. by not inserting a memory card at startup).
- Less USB problems.
- Fixed PAL/NTSC detection on slim PSTwo.

Note: Not all network status information is available on slim PSTwo.

The files can be downloaded at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelloader/files

Kernelloader: kloader2.0.elf
recommended Linux Kernel: vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v1.gz
whig

Post by whig »

Big thanks! I'll check this out for sure.
swnny

Post by swnny »

Thank you! I hope now it will it will be possible to boot Black Rhino from usb pendrive. And if some kind of how-to comes up it will be great.
deba5er

kloader 2.0

Post by deba5er »

@Mega Man - Thanks! I just fixed my usb-installer (mostly just modified your initrd.usb2 to use parted and some scripting) so people can take single partition FAT-formatted usb flash drives and perform an automated installation in less than an hour.

http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/8728 ... tml?rnd=64

PS2-Linux distro directory - 3 files (two .bz2 base and usrlocal plus ps2linux_v0.3.zip).

Read the ps2linux-usbinstaller.txt for instructions.

dlanor has been giving me advice and testing assistance; word is still out on newer ps2 slim installation but this new version gives me hope.

Two questions - is there any way to modify the kernel display driver to display the text offset a couple characters to the right. Overscan affects most older TVs (non-LCD). The second question you've seen before is whether audio is a possibility without RTE binaries; maybe you have a different answer now? ;-)

Thanks for the latest update. Awesome stuff!
dlanor

Re: kloader 2.0

Post by dlanor »

deba5er wrote:dlanor has been giving me advice and testing assistance; word is still out on newer ps2 slim installation but this new version gives me hope.
Unfortunately your latest package, with Mega Man's latest stuff, still fails in the same way as before on my SCPH-77004 v15 PSTwo, even though it works fine on the SCPH-39004 v7 PS2.

Shortly after the launching of the vmlinux kernel and the initrd stuff, I start getting repetitive error messages about detected USB devices "not accepting" IDs, and these messages keep coming until there is a "Kernel Panic" crash. This also implies that there are far more 'detections' than I have physical devices, even if I do count any hub branches.

My guess is that it works fine for all consoles before v14, but fails for v14 and all later ones, though I can only test that for v15 myself. After all, it was in the v14 that a lot of the hardware design was shuffled around, so as to get rid of the HDD interface, which also led to some changes for networking and USB. (Which is also why CodeBreaker can't use USB on any v14+ consoles.)

Most likely there is no longer any problem with the USB drivers of the kloader elf, but the problem we have now is only with the USB drivers of the vmlinux kernels. That is what I think needs to be fixed for the v14+ consoles.
Thanks for the latest update. Awesome stuff!
I second that, though we're not quite 'home free' yet for those v14+ consoles.

Best regards: dlanor
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

Nice to see that someone tries to write an installer and documentation for USB installation. I didn't got the time to do this.

I've used a SCPH-77004 for testing the Kernelloader and USB was working. There is a difference between slim and fat. There are different modules loaded. The file config.txt from ps2linux_v0.3.zip need to be changed for slim PSTwo.
Note: If "Restore Defaults" is selected, it will choose the correct modules for the game console type as follows:

fat PS2: intrelay-direct.irx
slim PSTwo: iomanX.irx, poweroff.irx, ps2dev9.irx, smaprpc.irx, intrelay-direct-rpc.irx

If you have problems with slim PSTwo, maybe the module "intrelay-dev9-rpc.irx" is better than "intrelay-direct-rpc.irx".
To switch between slim and fat, you need to disable the modules of the other type (fat) and enable the modules of the selected game console type (slim, according to the list above).

To make the configuration independent from the game console type, the module entries can be deleted from config.txt. Kernelloader will use a working default.

The following Linux command makes the configuration from ps2linux_v0.3.zip independent from the game console type:

Code: Select all

sed <install/config.txt -e "/&#91;^&#58;&#93;*&#58;&#91;^=&#93;*=/d" >install/slim_and_fat_config.txt
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

Mega Man wrote:I've used a SCPH-77004 for testing the Kernelloader and USB was working. There is a difference between slim and fat.
Yes, and in fact I think there are two sets of differences. First the one caused by the redesign needed to make the first slim console types at all (v12/v13), and then the chipset change involved in eliminating the HDD interface chip for v14 and later models. Apparently that also had some effect on the USB interface as it broke the USB implementation of CodeBreaker.
There are different modules loaded. The file config.txt from ps2linux_v0.3.zip need to be changed for slim PSTwo.
Yes, I had a hunch that some further adaption was needed, though I wasn't sure where it should be done.
Note: If "Restore Defaults" is selected, it will choose the correct modules for the game console type as follows:

fat PS2: intrelay-direct.irx
slim PSTwo: iomanX.irx, poweroff.irx, ps2dev9.irx, smaprpc.irx, intrelay-direct-rpc.irx

If you have problems with slim PSTwo, maybe the module "intrelay-dev9-rpc.irx" is better than "intrelay-direct-rpc.irx".
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, as I believed that the linux kernel had its own drivers, not relying on the IRX files loaded by the homebrew that loads the kernel. But perhaps I'm mixed up about that...
To switch between slim and fat, you need to disable the modules of the other type (fat) and enable the modules of the selected game console type (slim, according to the list above).

To make the configuration independent from the game console type, the module entries can be deleted from config.txt. Kernelloader will use a working default.
But are those modules really the drivers that will remain active throughout the linux session ?

I had the impression that linux drivers were independent of the normal IRX system as used by homebrews... (But I'll happily be proven wrong on that :))

In any case, it is clear in my tests that kloader itself has no problem accessing the USB drive on my v15. It is only after the loading of the vmlinux kernel and the initrd file that the problems start, as the new enumeration of the USB devices fails.

Whatever, I will wait for the next test package by deba5er before testing any further, mainly because it is well past midnight now and I need to get some sleep too :).

peterdcrees

Post by peterdcrees »

Spent a while trying this on a slim SCPH-75004 console yesterday, I received the same error as dlanor above:
Phone camera, sorry!

I will try again today using the 'restore defaults' in kloader 2.0 as Mega Man recommends. I have already created the swap and ext2 partitions and unpacked deba5er's distribution onto a 1GB USB stick using Linux, so I 'should' be ready to boot.

For the 'installation' onto USB would it be simpler to make available an image of a complete 'working' install from 1GB USB drive (possibly separate PAL and NTSC versions?). This could then be written onto a new drive? (I *think* the linux "dd" utility can do this, win32 version here)

In the install guide deba5er says that the PS2 will take about 45 minutes to unpack the distribution archives itself!
deba5er

ps2linux on slim

Post by deba5er »

[[I will try again today using the 'restore defaults' in kloader 2.0 as Mega Man recommends. I have already created the swap and ext2 partitions and unpacked deba5er's distribution onto a 1GB USB stick using Linux, so I 'should' be ready to boot.]]

Dlanor tested successfully last night - Here's my instructions - ~~However, when I went to the File Menu in kloader and clicked "Restore Defaults", then went to Configuration Menu and "Edit Kernel Parameters" and typing after the other two lines - " root=/dev/ram0 newroot=/dev/sda3" it booted fine with the new kloader."
(Thanks to Mega Man for the hints with his new version 2.0 support of the slim model.)

I've saved the above work into this config.txt file in the dillo-reqs directory of my 4shared so you won't have to repeat it:
http://www.4shared.com/file/12555405...74/config.html

[[For the 'installation' onto USB would it be simpler to make available an image of a complete 'working' install from 1GB USB drive (possibly separate PAL and NTSC versions?). This could then be written onto a new drive? (I *think* the linux "dd" utility can do this, win32 version here)]]

This is very doable, but 4shared only takes <100MB files and I have no hosting capability so I can't do it. Even compressed, uploading is something I have to do from someone else's house with cable-modem. This would be good though because USB 2.0 is so much faster than the PS2's version 1.

[[In the install guide deba5er says that the PS2 will take about 45 minutes to unpack the distribution archives itself!]]

Note that once installed, I can backup all partitions from my device on my Windows XP computer using partition magic so that future builds are quicker. So I'm halfway there ;-)
F3nrir

Post by F3nrir »

freeze at 17% =/... any idea?

4gb usb drive 77001 ps2
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@F3nrir -

I am using parted 1.6.25.1 compiled on my ps2 linux distro. It does not have alot of testing on this platform and searching on the internet did not turn up obvious solutions. You can perform a test with parted by booting off the install script, entering "1024" in the first question, then <enter> to the second question (swap) to drop to the prompt.

At the prompt enter "parted /dev/sda print"
This will show you the current partition configuration (I am interested in this info). I just started a 1024 FAT32, 32 swap, remainder Linux on a 2GB flash drive (my largest). It is installing so my two test devices are working fine. If you are familiar with parted or google "man parted" you might feel safe trying to fix the partition (the one it hung on is the 3rd, ext2 partition during mkpartfs which makes the partition and formats it for ext2).

Let me know the results of the above command and it will help me give you the commands to manually (from the second question prompt) attempt to fix things.
F3nrir

Post by F3nrir »

http://i32.tinypic.com/8zhhxw.jpg
;3

http://i26.tinypic.com/14acsqf.jpg

not create the 3rd partition :/, stuck in 3%... u.u
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

This post is just to clarify exactly what I did in my recent tests:

The successful test I made yesterday, that deba5er mentioned above, was made only by booting on a v15 SCPH-77004 a USB drive with linux previously installed by a v7 SCPH-39004 console, using the following:

USB drive: 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro Skin
Part 1 size entry: 2048
Part 2 size entry: 500
Part 3 resulting size: appx 1.5 GB

Using the "config.txt" file from the "run/" folder of deba5er's package this drive boots fine on the v7 SCPH-39004 (where it was installed), and with the new config.txt he linked to in one of his recent posts I was finally able to boot it also on the v15 SCPH-39004.

But so far I have never succeeded in performing the installation on a v15.

peterdcrees

Post by peterdcrees »

Same issue here on my SCPH-75004, the installation freezes after the first 2 "Information" lines from parted (resizing the FAT partition and creating the swap), the ext2 partition is not created on the drive, I've tried with a 1GB and a 2GB Kingston data traveler both of which function fine in other PS2 homebrew programs.

My trials of using Ubuntu 9.04 to create the swap and ext2 partitions on the drive have also failed. I can create the partitions but when the PS2 tries to mount them during boot I always get an error message about running fsck and that / is mounted read only.

Is there a particular set of options that can to be passed to mkfs.ext2 in Ubuntu to create an ext2 partition that works successfully with the PS2 Linux kernel?
F3nrir

Post by F3nrir »

same here, in ubuntu create the ext2 partition and pass de e2fsck... ok...
in the ps2: run the installation scrip (init_install.sh) ok but random freezes when extract the files (tar)
testes in 2 usb drives same result.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

I've forgot to answer the sound question: I've fixed a little bit, so that sound is at least working unstable (SCPH-50004). Sound modules libsd.irx and sdrdrv.irx from rom0 and rom1 can be used. Sound is working until the system crashs randomly. I didn't tested this with the released version, but with previous development versions. You can test how stable it is running.

The problem that the installer hangs could be caused by the irx modules (Maybe too much RPC calls, caused by to much USB traffic). There are 2 things you can try:
1. Use intrelay-dev9-rpc.irx instead of intrelay-direct-rpc.irx
2. Disable all modules except intrelay-direct-rpc.irx (Maybe you also need rom0:SIO2MAN).

If this doesn't work, I will try to install it, when I've got some time for it.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@peterdcrees and F3nrir,
I am interested if you have successfully tried Mega Man's tests, specifically #1 - 1. Use intrelay-dev9-rpc.irx instead of intrelay-direct-rpc.irx with the installation.

My newest PS2 is v12 and has worked for several installs so far, so this might be a v14+ problem? I would still like to get my Ubuntu VM to unpack the distro though since it would be faster so I'll look at that.

@Mega Man - Thanks for the sound! - it works for xmms without crash on my version 3 FAT PS2 (internet radio). How long does it take to crash? It has been running from USB with dillo browser in the same session no problems for 1/2 hour (McBoot 1.8, ULE 4.39, Kloader2.0, restore defaults, add those two modules, modify kernel parameters for newroot and root).
peterdcrees

Post by peterdcrees »

@deba5er: I will have a go at the install with the dev9 module loaded.

Success!

I have managed to successfully boot into Black Rhino and browse a few pages on my SCPH-75004. This was done using Ubuntu 9.04 to partition the drive and run deba5er's install script.

I started with a 2GB USB stick. For me it appears as /dev/sdb in Ubuntu.

Use GParted (GUI version of parted) to remove ALL existing partitions on the drive and create 3 new partitions on the drive:
1. 256MB FAT16 partition, label "sda1"
2. 32MB linux swap partition
3. 1024MB 'unformatted' partition

Then in a Ubuntu console window, create an ext2 file system in the 'unformatted' partition. Using parted or Gparted in Ubuntu to make the ext2 file system will by default enable features that are not supported by the older 2.4 kernel in PS2 Linux. The mkfs.ext2 command can create a partition that works:

sudo mkfs.ext2 -I 128 -O none -L sda3 /dev/sdb3
Now unplug and reinsert the drive so that Ubuntu mounts the new partitions There should be 2 new 'drives' that appear on the desktop called sda1 and sda3.

Extract deba5ers ps2linux_V0.4.zip to the sda1 'drive', copy ps2linux-base.tar.bz2 and ps2linux-usrlocal.tar.bz2 to the ps2linux folder on the sda1 'drive'.

Follow deba5ers instructions about modifying the text files in the ps2linux folder to setup your TV mode and network configuration.

Edit the init_install.sh script and replace all instances of "/mnt/" with "/media/"

Now back to the Ubuntu console and run the install script as root

cd /media/sda1/ps2linux
sudo ./init_install.sh
Result: a drive that can boot your PS2 into a linux desktop!

Now you can plug the drive into your PS2.

Use uLE to copy kloader2.0.elf and the config.txt file (from "run" or "run_slim" folder, depending on your console) to a folder called kloader on a PS2 memory card.

Now start kloader2.0.elf from uLE and select 'Boot Current Config'.
Last edited by peterdcrees on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swnny

Post by swnny »

Looking very good so far!
But what about the speed system is running with? We all know that ps2's 1.1 usb aint fast, so is this causing problems?
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@Mega Man - Haven't had my PS2-Linux on version 3 PS2 (FAT) fail yet using ROM0:LIBSD and ROM1:SDRDRV with my distro. Does it crash after hours, days? Either way, this is a really nice improvement that I recommend to everyone to try, as xmms streams internet radio and my second version distribution will include mplayer and the ability to play youtube videos.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

The system was crashing while playing a WAV the first or second time.
The WAV file was shorter than 4 minutes. Sometimes it crashed within the first seconds.
Now I tried ROM0:LIBSD/ROM1:LIBSD and ROM1:SDRDRV on the slim PSTwo. It wasn't possible to load the modules, because of something like dead lock.
It seems the older the system the better the sound is working. Loading RTE modules on slim PSTwo seems to enable again the USB lost interrupt bug, which should have been fixed by the intrelay-direct-rpc.irx module.

I tried to install your distro on the slim PSTwo. Parted doesn't liked my partition table and told me that I found a bug in parted. Then I used Ubuntu to create a new partition table. Then I told parted to resize the 256 MByte to 256MByte and it seemed to do nothing and doesn't go further.

It was working after I did everything manually as peterdcrees told. The system needs some time to start. The Browser needs some time to start. It is pretty slow. But browsing the internet was faster than my Opera Browser on Ubuntu (Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 1.80GHz). The web pages looked a little bit different (reduced in background stuff).

I don't think that it is able to work faster than USB 1.1.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

Now I tried ROM0:LIBSD/ROM1:LIBSD and ROM1:SDRDRV on the slim PSTwo. It wasn't possible to load the modules, because of something like dead lock.
I also had kloader2.0 hang up when trying to enable these modules on the v12 Slim PSTwo. I will test later with my v9 after I resolve an installer problem with v0.5.
I tried to install your distro on the slim PSTwo. Parted doesn't liked my partition table and told me that I found a bug in parted.
I found that this is very kernel specific, as I have generated the parted error myself by using the wrong kernel. The vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v1.gz works for my v12 though.
It was working after I did everything manually as peterdcrees told. The system needs some time to start. The Browser needs some time to start. It is pretty slow. But browsing the internet was faster than my Opera Browser on Ubuntu (Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 1.80GHz). The web pages looked a little bit different (reduced in background stuff).
Excellent. I am interested in knowing whether your v15 experiences pixel drops/artifacts when minimizing/maximizing dillo and switching between windows. Dillo is fast on any architecture; and the weird background colors are my fault, I didn't want to over-stress my TV power supply with all the white backgrounds. It made it easier for me to read from a distance (my couch/coffee table). I also have the newest version of dillo (2.1.1) pre-compiled on my 4shared and it has the default color scheme (but no tabs function).
I don't think that it is able to work faster than USB 1.1.
As long as everything fits into memory and I/O needs are low, the USB version actually works fine. It will probably cause flash wear after awhile though, and it will need to be tweaked for less filesystem use.

Question - I am trying to script the copying of config.txt to the mc0:\kloader directory and to do this from PS2-Linux I would need a kernel mod. The only source I have is from the 2.2 kernel. Would you be willing to look at this very small change to remove the mc0:\bwlinux filter allowing the entire mc0 and mc1 (/mnt/mc00, /mnt/mc10) to be accessed?
http://www.4shared.com/file/126520683/9 ... k-221.html
noiseand

PsTwo V17/V18

Post by noiseand »

Excelente fórum!

Estou com o BlackRhino em meu ps2 operacional, só faltando reconhecer a placa de som.

Estou obtendo uma melhor performance no hd externo utilizando o sistema ext3 ao invés do ext2, já que este ultima se corrompe na necessidade de um reset forçado do console devido a algum travamento inerperado.

"Excellent fórum!

I am with the BlackRhino in operational mine ps2, only lacking to recognize the sound plate.

I am getting one better performance in hd external using the system ext3 on the contrary of ext2, since this finishes if reset forced of the console due to some inerperado travamento corrupts in the one necessity."
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@noiseand -

After many hours I have determined on my test FAT PS2 version 7 that ext3 works on my USB PS2-Linux distro but not when the two sound modules are loaded in kloader2.0 (with my ps2linux/run/config.txt). Strange. I tested power-fail and it is much quicker coming up than the ext2 filesystem, I assume from reading there is less chance of corruption. I should be able to add ext3 support into the initrd.usb2.install.gz and give the user the choice of ext2 or ext3 (I need a few days though). I did not test speed differences, but it wasn't so different to notice in casual use.
noiseand

PsTwo V17/V18

Post by noiseand »

Desculpe, esqueci de falar que meu ps2 é o modelo slim (90001), com desbloqueio matrix 1.93 e não o fat, acho que por isso não consigo utilizar a placa de som. A rede esta ok.

Quais módulos utilizar no config.txt para ter a placa de som funcionando? Não consigo usar a audsrv.irx ou sdrdrv, caso use, perco a usb. Não faz diferença usar a libsd da rom0 ou do rte.

A performance via pendrive e ext2 é um pouco ruim, já utilizando hd Maxtor com 5000 rpm, com ext3, o sistema fica realmente agil e não trava tanto.

"It forgives, it forgot to say that mine ps2 is the model slim (90001), with raising of the blockade matrix 1,93 and not it fat, I find that therefore I do not obtain to use the sound plate. The net this ok.

Which modules to use in config.txt to have the sound plate functioning? I do not obtain to use audsrv.irx or sdrdrv, in case that it uses, I lose usb. It does not make difference to use libsd of rom0 or rte.

The performance saw pendrive and ext2 is a little bad, already using hd Maxtor with 5000 rpm, ext3, the system is really agile and not constraint in such a way."
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@noiseand

The sound doesn't work without RTE on v9, and I could not get it to work on v12 at all, so it likely won't work on your new model Slim. It does work on v3 and v7 though (v7 I used ROM1:SDLIB with ROM1:SNDDRV). I spent an entire evening working with the v9 with no success.

Since you have a hard drive, you can maybe use the kernel parameter idebus=66 to speed it up even more. I haven't done measurements yet, but the kernel does support it, and it currently defaults to 50 MHz.
wisi

Post by wisi »

How to fix this > http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 902&prev=1 error? A year ago I got the same error when trying to start the GUI of the 800MB blackrhino distribution that could be downloaded from http://lamadrigueradeconejo.blogspot.co ... ebian.html . Back then I was using PS2 SCPH-30003.

Now, I installed the same distribution of Linux on a USB HDD using a PC with Ubuntu and then I connected the USB HDD to a PSTwo SCPH-79004 and it shoes the same error. What is the error about and how can it be fixed?