I finnaly got that mod chip installed

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

arthur92710

I finnaly got that mod chip installed

Post by arthur92710 »

I finally got that mod chip installed. How can I test that it works? The ps2 turns on seems to work right. I dl'ed the naplink and put it on a cd. It boots to a screen that says PlayStation and stops there. Is that all its supposed to do? What can I use to test if the chip works?
dlanor

Re: I finnaly got that mod chip installed

Post by dlanor »

arthur92710 wrote:I finally got that mod chip installed. How can I test that it works? The ps2 turns on seems to work right. I dl'ed the naplink and put it on a cd. It boots to a screen that says PlayStation and stops there. Is that all its supposed to do? What can I use to test if the chip works?
Do you really expect any meaningful help without specifying what type of modchip you got installed, or what kind of PS2 you have.

The latter may be a slim PSTwo with built-in network adaptor,
or a chubby PS2 with external network adaptor,
or a chubby PS2 without any network adaptor.

As for the boot screens, they can vary a lot for different modchips, though nearly all do include the word "PlayStation" somewhare, so nothing you have said gives any real clues at all.

Are you sure the modchip firmware is correctly and completely installed ?
(Some chips require multiple installs for firmware + Managers)

Best regards: dlanor
arthur92710

Post by arthur92710 »

V5 ps2 without network adapter
magic 3 chip. It does not have a firmware.
methos3

Post by methos3 »

hi,
i don't know much about the magic chip, why you don't try to make a backup of any of your games and see if it loads?
if even a game backut don't work then the problem is with the installation or the chip isn't compatible with your version of ps2...
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Backups = bad.

Why not burn a copy of ps2link and see if it will boot? Then you'll be all set up for development:

http://ps2dev.org/ps2/Loaders/PS2_side_boot_loaders/

Grabbing the one with the iso may be easiest for you.
arthur92710

Post by arthur92710 »

When I click on the link it times out. So does the site its self. Whats up?
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

The server is flakey! Its up again now. :)
arthur92710

Post by arthur92710 »

Does'int psplink go trough the adapter with Ethernet? And the other one needs a special cable. What can I do without them?
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

arthur92710 wrote:Does'int psplink go trough the adapter with Ethernet?
This is not a PSP forum, so please use the correct name == "ps2link".
And yes, ps2link does require a network adaptor, but you really need one anyway for many other purposes (like using an internal IDE HDD).

My advice is to start looking for a network adaptor immediately, as they are becoming scarce (at least around here), and you will regret it if you miss out on getting any.
And the other one needs a special cable.
I wouldn't bother trying to find one, as it+naplink offers you ONLY the same capabilties a s PS2Link with network adaptor. But the network adaptor opens lots of other possibilities for how to use the PS2. (Like using SMS to view movies streamed from any Windows PC in your LAN.)
What can I do without them?
Not as much, obviously, but one thing you can do is to burn a boot CD-R for uLaunchELF (aka: uLE). Then you can use a FAT32 formatted USB device connected to your PC to copy whatever PS2 elfs you want to test. When you later connect that USB device to the PS2, the FileBrowser of uLE will be able to show you those files (as device mass:) and let you either copy them to PS2 MC, or launch them directly from the USB device.

There's also quite a lot of stuff you can do without ever launching another elf, as uLE has many built-in subprograms, such as TextEditor, JpgViewer, and several others.

And the functionality of your modchip is of course proven/disproven by the ability/inability to boot that CD-R to the uLE menu. (Assuming that the ISO is properly prepared and burned that is.)

arthur92710

Post by arthur92710 »

thanks for your help.
I am looking for a network adapter so that I can do the stuff you mentioned.
I really want to try out ULE but you say that it has to be properly burnt. How can I make sure that it is properly burnt?
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

arthur92710 wrote:thanks for your help.
I am looking for a network adapter so that I can do the stuff you mentioned.
Good, but remember that you can do some stuff without it too, as I described earlier.
I really want to try out ULE but you say that it has to be properly burnt. How can I make sure that it is properly burnt?
I will reply to that, but many others here would not. You see, this site is intended exclusively for PS2 homebrew developers. And you just proved yourself to be very far from becoming one. (Or you'd already know how to make boot CD's.) But whatever, let's get on with it...

First you need a working ISO to burn, and since you're a newb you're most likely unable to make one based on the uLE release package, so you want one ready for burning. As usual in these cases 'Google is your friend...', so make a normal google search using the followin search string:
PS2 uLE 4.12 boot CD ISO

That should give you a number of interesting hits, but the most relevant ones are likely to be those at psx-scene, since that is the home site of uLE.

In case something goes wrong with your search, here's a direct link to a thread with a useful uLE boot CD in one of the ZIP attachments of the second post.

Ignore all mention of DEV2 stuff as it doesn't apply to your modchip, since you mentioned it has no (installable) firmware.

Once you have the uLE zip file, unpack it to get the iso file inside. This is what you need to burn to the CD, but not as a normal file put inside the 'compose' window of any CD burning program. No. Instead this single file must be used as a template for the entire CD (nevermind the small size, it works this way).

For the rest of my example I'll be using Nero 8.0.3.0, simply because that's what I use myself.

First off, you must make sure that you're not using the worthless "Nero Express" mode with all of the silly 'wizards'. None of them can help you burning clean ISOs. So all such nonsense must be turned off and/or disabled, and left so permanently, for ever... (I kid you not. All that stuff is just eye-candy that in fact diminishes functionality.

With that fixed, exit and restart the 'real' Nero program, which should result in a single window entitled "Nero Burning ROM", and nothing else...

At this point, if you were composing a PC CD, you would use the 'File' / 'New' command, but you already have a properly composed non-PC CD iso, so that would be wrong. Instead you should click the 'Recorder' entry in the main menu, and in the resulting pulldown menu you should click the entry "Burn Image...".

That will open a Windows Explorer file selector which you should navigate to the folder where you unpacked the iso file earlier, and now select that iso file and exit the file selector using the 'Open' button. You should then get a burning dialog box with a few commands and options of interest.

Btw: This is a good point to insert the empty CD-R if you didn't do so from the start, since you will be burning it soon.

All the options of interest are in the 'Burn' tag, so ignore the 'Info' tag.
Many options may already have correct settings in which case there's no reason to change them (obviously)

Uncheck "Determine maximum speed" (I don't trust the program to get it right for all cases)
Uncheck "Simulation" (as you want to burn a real disc)
Check "Write" (since that's what you want done)
Check "Finalize disc" (as PS2 boot discs must be single session)

In the next section of settings:

Set "Write speed:" to the lower of the two max speeds that apply to the burner itself and to the CD-R discs you bought.

Btw: I assume high quality media (eg: Verbatim, the only brand I use myself, both for CD and DVD), which *always* work fine burned at their max speed. The same is NOT true about cheap knock-offs which may need speeds much lower than the claimed max speed.

Set "Write method:" to "Track-at-once" ("Disc-at-once" should also work)

Set "Number of copies:" to 1

Check "Buffer underrun protection" (if available for your burner)

Uncheck "Multiple Recorders"

With all choices set up as described, simply click the "Burn" button at the bottom of the box, to start the physical burning process. When that process completes your brand new boot disc is ready for testing in the PS2. (But don't forget to label it as being "uLE v4.12 Boot CD")

Finally I advice you to switch over to that 'psx-scene' site I linked to above, since that site is open to all comers, unlike this one. And that site is also the 'home' of uLE where I and the other main codeveloper of uLE ("E P") moderate a forum dedicated to the program.

arthur92710

Post by arthur92710 »

Thanks for the help! Ill go to the psx site if I have other questions.
Ill try this out right now.
Thanks!!
arthur92710

Post by arthur92710 »

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS MAN!!!!
WOOOO!!!!!!!!
Your like a god!!! yaa!
I am so happy that it works. Im proud of my nice soldering skills. Thank you, Thank you.
soooo happy!!

*EDIT*
The psp can be used as a usb. SMS loads and plays music.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

a chubby PS2 without any network adaptor?