HDD and SMS Player

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

cesedy

HDD and SMS Player

Post by cesedy »

hi, can somebody please tell me, how can i watch films from my HDD with SMS player? what i need to do, that PS2 recognises my HDD and can i transfer films from my pc to HDD via USB cable?
my HDD is in Sweex EXTERNAL 3.5” STORAGE

Here is pic of my HDD:
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

User manual of SMS (bit outdated) is available here
cosmito

Re: HDD and SMS Player

Post by cosmito »

cesedy wrote:hi, can somebody please tell me, how can i watch films from my HDD with SMS player?
What do you mean by films? divx or xvid? Yes, SMS can play them (very well indeed!)
cesedy wrote:and can i transfer films from my pc to HDD via USB cable?
If you PC have a USB port the answer is yes (that is, if the film is a file like .avi, not if the film is in fact a DVD-Video. That's why I asked you about your definition for film...)

Please note also the the PS2 is in general very picky about USB devices... I tried some USB pens and most wasn't recognized by SMS and other apps that read from USB. I think this also apply to USB HDDs. If you don't manage to get your HDD recognized by LauchELF (mass: device) I guess the chances to get it working on the SMS are slim ...
cesedy

Post by cesedy »

my PS2 don`t recognises my HDD Image .. i tried to format it from NTFS to FAT32... what should i do?
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

cesedy wrote:my PS2 don`t recognises my HDD Image .. i tried to format it from NTFS to FAT32... what should i do?
I think you'll get more answers to this problem on http://psx-scene.com/forums/ forums. There you can also find the SMS oficial forum. The forums at ps2dev are for development purposes only. Good luck :)
cesedy

Post by cesedy »

i already posted in psx-scene yesterday, but i got no answer..

Edit: OKey, got it working :) thnx for help :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

cesedy wrote:my PS2 don`t recognises my HDD Image .. i tried to format it from NTFS to FAT32... what should i do?
The PS2 HDD needs to be formatted in APA format. You use the DMS harddrive tools on it. You want the DMS-HDD-FORMAT-1.1.zip file from here:
http://www.dms3.com/cgi-bin/dms3/site.pl?page=downloads
cesedy

Post by cesedy »

in DMS HDD Format it showed all the time, that my HDD isn`t connected..
my HDD didn`t showed in hdd:\ but it showed in mass:\ ...

but i need another Help..
i`m using Matrix Infinity 1.8.2 on my PS2.. and i saw this thing:

LAUNCHING HDD APPLICATION (DEV2 MODE):
--------------------------------------

- Press L1 on joypad 1.
- If correctly installed, the default application will be executed from the HDD.

how can i use it? how can i Launch SMS player from my HDD and not CD?
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

J.F. wrote:
The PS2 HDD needs to be formatted in APA format. You use the DMS harddrive tools on it. You want the DMS-HDD-FORMAT-1.1.zip file from here:
No J.F. What you say anout the APA format etc would only apply if cesedy was using an HDD connected by IDE interface to the PS2, whereas this one is connected by USB interface.

So from the PS2 driver viewpoint this does not involve "hdd0:", but only "mass:"...

Best regards: dlanor
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

cesedy wrote:in DMS HDD Format it showed all the time, that my HDD isn`t connected..
And that is perfectly correct, because your HDD is not connected to the PS2/PSTwo by the IDE interface required for recognition as "hdd0:".

In fact normal PS2/PSTwo consoles don't even come with that IDE interface. The fat PS2 models got that interface with the optional Network Adaptor, while early models of the slim PSTwo could get it only through a DIY add-on hardware kit, and later PSTwo models can't get it at all, since Sony removed a necessary chip... (For the sole purpose of sabotaging this ability.)
my HDD didn`t showed in hdd:\ but it showed in mass:\ ...
Which is exactly how any USB connected mass storage unit should be shown in PS2 applications, whether we use a USB memory stick or a USB HDD.
but i need another Help..
i`m using Matrix Infinity 1.8.2 on my PS2.. and i saw this thing:

LAUNCHING HDD APPLICATION (DEV2 MODE):
The Dev2 boot mode allows booting a program ELF file from an IDE-connected HDD, usually using the launch path "hdd0:/__boot/boot.elf". There is no corresponding boot method defined for an HDD connected by USB.

However, you can achieve almost the same effect using the Dev1 boot mode, which will boot a program ELF file from the memory card, usually using the launch path "mc0:/BOOT/BOOT.ELF". But it is not advisable to use SMS for that boot, but rather to use another program which can not only launch SMS for you (from mass: if you like), but which can also perform other homebrew maintenance tasks that you will need. So I recommend that you make/find a boot CD/DVD for the program uLaunchELF, and use this to install that same program for Dev1 booting on your memory card.

This should solve all your problems, allowing you to boot in future without any CD/DVD access into a program that can easily let you launch SMS or other homebrew programs from your USB connected HDD.

I also agree with ptek that you really should bring your questions to the forums at http://psx-scene.com/forums/ instead, since that is the 'home' site of both SMS and uLaunchELF, both of which have separate subforums over there (inside the "PS2 Homebrew/Dev & Emu Scene" forum).

J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dlanor wrote:
J.F. wrote:
No J.F. What you say anout the APA format etc would only apply if cesedy was using an HDD connected by IDE interface to the PS2, whereas this one is connected by USB interface.

So from the PS2 driver viewpoint this does not involve "hdd0:", but only "mass:"...

Oh, you're right... I didn't notice in his first post - he said it's EXTERNAL. Sorry about that. Yeah, USB drives are completely different.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

dlanor wrote:I also agree with ptek that you really should bring your questions to the forums at http://psx-scene.com/forums/ instead, since that is the 'home' site of both SMS and uLaunchELF, both of which have separate subforums over there (inside the "PS2 Homebrew/Dev & Emu Scene" forum).
Besides, most of us have also an account on psx-scene so you'll also benefit of our wizdom there :P