Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

momomh1

Post by momomh1 »

Help for a newbie with ps2dev...

I compile many samples with success, but when i test my elf file on PS2
(with usb key and Swap-Magic), i see a black screen.

Only math3d.elf is ok...

I use a RCA 27" TV (NTSC), the new toolchain (2006) and MinGW.

The old elf file (2003 or 2004) are ok.

Sorry for my english...
dlanor

Re: Newbie

Post by dlanor »

momomh1 wrote:Help for a newbie with ps2dev...

I compile many samples with success, but when i test my elf file on PS2
(with usb key and Swap-Magic), i see a black screen.

Only math3d.elf is ok...
Commercial ELF launchers, including that of SwapMagic, sometimes have problems with homebrew compatibility. So even if the launcher works fine with other homebrews, and the tested homebrew works fine with other launchers, the combination of the two may still give trouble.

A good solution to this problem is to use some generic homebrew launcher known for wide compatibility both with the launching of other homebrews and with being launched by SwapMagic.

One such program is "uLaunchELF", also known as "uLE", which you can find on many PS2-related sites, but mainly in the PS2 forums of its home site whose current URL is "http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/portal.php". There you will find that uLE has its own subforum inside the main "PS2 Homebrew/Dev" forum. And since you are interested in developing PS2 code yourself, you should enjoy the fact that the full source code to uLE is included in its release package, together with ready-to-run ELFs. So if you run into any issues with it, we may even work on their solution together.

Best regards: dlanor
momomh1

Post by momomh1 »

Thank you very much for help.

I check that this week-end...