New ps2toolchain in the repository.

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

ooPo
Site Admin

New ps2toolchain in the repository.

Post by ooPo »

The previous ps2toolchain (1.0 series) can be accessed by:

svn export svn://svn.ps2dev.org/ps2/tags/ps2toolchain-1.0.0

The new ps2toolchain (2.0 series) can be accessed by:

svn export svn://svn.ps2dev.org/ps2/trunk/ps2toolchain

Information on what's new can be seen in this thread:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8355

Have a nice day.
dlanor

Re: New ps2toolchain in the repository.

Post by dlanor »

ooPo wrote:The previous ps2toolchain (1.0 series) can be accessed by:

svn export svn://svn.ps2dev.org/ps2/tags/ps2toolchain-1.0.0

The new ps2toolchain (2.0 series) can be accessed by:

svn export svn://svn.ps2dev.org/ps2/trunk/ps2toolchain

Information on what's new can be seen in this thread:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8355
I have just read every post in that thread (easy enough as it's rather short), and I'm more confused than ever. As far as I can see that thread deals exclusively with PSP stuff, with PS2 not being mentioned at all, not even in a single one of those posts or example listings.

So what is the real deal here ?

Is it just that the new PS2 toolchain is very similar to that PSP stuff, so you can't be bothered to describe it separately, or is it more than that. Are the two toolchains now somehow integrated ?

Personally I have absolutely no interest in the PSP console and never will (nor in any other handheld console), and I don't think it's closely enough related to the PS2 to motivate a combined toolchain for both.

So again I ask: What is the real deal here ?

Is there indeed any new stuff available for PS2 here, as indicated by that SVN path, or are all new improvements just for the PSP, as indicated by that thread...?

Best regards: dlanor
Lukasz

Post by Lukasz »

The toolchain.sh scripts are similar for both PSP and PS2. So what ooPo is saying is that he changed the toolchain.sh scripts and not the toolchains themselves. Thats why he is refering to the PSP post, since the changes are similar for PS2 toolchain.sh.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

There are still two separate toolchain projects, ps2toolchain and psptoolchain. The scripts are very similar but aren't merged.

Essentially this is just a re-arrangement of the build process to make further maintenance easier. The actual toolchain itself hasn't been changed and no new features have been added yet. There hasn't been much dev work on the ps2 toolchain lately, if at all...

So if you already have a working ps2 toolchain, you don't need to do anything. You're already up to date. :)
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Maybe (just *maybe* since it will take a couple of hours to compile) i'll try it again under cygwin to see if it goes well.

Just maybe :)
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

@Lukasz & ooPo:

Thanks for your clarifications.
Since my present PS2 toolchain does work fine I'll just keep it as-is.

Best regards: dlanor
ubergeek42

Post by ubergeek42 »

There are lots of "depends" that are unnecessary for compiling the ps2 toolchain.
bision, flex, ncurses, texinfo
I really don't think those are required, and I know for a fact that bison isn't, because I had my toolchain compiled fine and I don't have that installed.

Is it possible you could trim down the package to include only the actual required dependencies.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

ubergeek42 wrote:There are lots of "depends" that are unnecessary for compiling the ps2 toolchain.
bision, flex, ncurses, texinfo
I really don't think those are required, and I know for a fact that bison isn't, because I had my toolchain compiled fine and I don't have that installed.

Is it possible you could trim down the package to include only the actual required dependencies.
It's not the toolchain... it's the other programs in the wares that requires them. To be able to compile EVERYTHING in the repo does require those packages. If they quit having those as a requirement for the toolchain, then we'd see posts asking why such and such in the repo won't compile when the toolchain does.
ubergeek42

Post by ubergeek42 »

J.F. wrote: It's not the toolchain... it's the other programs in the wares that requires them. To be able to compile EVERYTHING in the repo does require those packages. If they quit having those as a requirement for the toolchain, then we'd see posts asking why such and such in the repo won't compile when the toolchain does.
Lots of stuff in the repo doesn't compile without additional work anyways, the toolchain doesn't install the more common ps2 libraries, so its the same case with those.

If some of those items I listed are indeed required to compile the toolchain itself or ps2sdk, then thats fine, but if its for some obscure program in the repo then I see no reason why the toolchain shouldn't compile without complaining about them missing.

But like I said, I just compiled the toolchain, I do not have bison installed, and there were no errors. The fact that it wouldn't let me compile until I removed the check-bison script seems flawed. I am guessing that the psp toolchain does require those aformentioned items, but from what I can see, the ps2 toolchain does not.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Yeah, there's a few extra depends in the ps2 build that aren't needed - they were copied over directly from the psp script.

They'll be gone in the near future. :)