Modchips and DEV2: What's the secret?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

sparrow

Modchips and DEV2: What's the secret?

Post by sparrow »

Hi guys!

I've sent the following email months ago to Matrix Infinity support, they said I would get an answer as soon as possible, but I never did.

My tests pointed that the same happens with with DMS modchips.

I am clueless, that's why I am posting the email here! I hope someone here can figure out the problem I am having!

Message sent to Matrix Infinity support:
Hi folks!

I am a PS2 homebrew developer and I would like to get further information about the DEV2 installation process on Matrix Inifinity modchips. I've made an application that formats the hard disk and copies a file, for example, BOOT.ELF from the cdfs:, to the hdd0:__boot/boot.elf (everything in lowercase here), but my users are getting a black screen when they try to start the PS2 on DEV2 mode.

The interesting part, is that I can execute the hdd0:__boot/boot.elf file from any ELF launcher, like PS2OS or uLaunchElf.
But I can't by Matrix Infinity's DEV2 loader.

A few months ago, I asked Matrix Team about the DEV2I installation program, and I got the following answer:

" The installer does a few things other than copying the boot.elf file to
the hard drive.
If you want to install the dev2 application without a working CD you
should do the following :

- Launch the DEV2I.ELF installer in some alternative way (naplink, MC0, etc)
and follow the on-screen iinstructions. When the installer tries to copy the
boot.elf file from the CD it should quit with an error. At this point, all
the needed parts have been installed to the HDD and only the boot.elf file
is missing.

- copy the boot.elf file of your choice to the partition named "__boot".
Make sure you are using all lowercase characters.

That's all it's needed to manually install the dev2 elf withouth a working
cd."

I would like to know, if possible, what additional steps are taken by the DEV2I.ELF application for the DEV2 boot to work. I have a customized installation program for my application and I would not like to use your DEV2I.ELF installation program for make DEV2 boot to work.

So I am asking you guys to send me additional information about the DEV2 boot installation. If it's possible, could you guys send me the DEV2I.ELF application's source code? If it's not possible, I would really enjoy if you send me all the information I need to make my application fully compatible with Matrix Infinity's DEV2 boot mode!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks in advance!
Best regards

bootsector