Various questions about ps2sdk and other tools

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

dom

Various questions about ps2sdk and other tools

Post by dom »

Hi all,
I succeded in installing the toolchain from oopo (better to say the script has run without pbm).

1) I compiled ps2link without problem using the inbuilt irx. When trying to execute it
directly from the mc with dev1 mode, the program freeze (inlink can't see the ps2 even if
the playstation display "ready"). When using ps2link 1.24 build with irx embeded (downloaded from here),
and trying to run the ps2link i compiled, it freezes when loading ps2hdd (the log in inlink says checking log).
I saw in another thread that perhaps i should use gcc 2.8 instead of 3.2.2 . Is the problem the compiler ? or the sdk 1.1 ?

2) ps2menu doesn't compile with sdk 1.1 . I modified some of the sources but i finished with :
ps2menu.c:805: warning: implicit declaration of function `CDVD_FlushCache'
ps2menu.c:806: warning: implicit declaration of function `CDVD_GetDir'
ps2menu.c:806: `CDVD_GET_FILES_AND_DIRS' undeclared (first use in this function)
ps2menu.c:1448: `CDVD_GET_FILES_AND_DIRS' undeclared (first use in this function)
ps2menu.c:2214: warning: implicit declaration of function `CDVD_Stop'
ps2menu.c:3008: warning: implicit declaration of function `CDVD_Init'

I grep other the include in ps2sdk but those variables are not present. There are present in
libcdvd. Are the sources from ps2sdk up-to-date with the other one (libcdvd ...) ?
I read that lion is making a soft called ps2desktop, will it be a replacement for ps2menu ?
In this case, i won't try to get ps2menu compiled.

3) The last questions are about irx modules. what is the proper order for loading the irx modules? Is there a graph of dependency somewhere ?
If i start an application (like ps2link or ps2menu) with embeded old irx, and if after that i push new irx modules (like ps2atad and ps2hdd), will it work the way i want using the new one ?

Are all the versions of irx modules compatibles with each other ? I mean can i use the new ps2atad instead of an older one ?

thank you
@+
dom
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

1) I have compiled with both 3.2.2 ( iop and ee ) and the old iop compiler. it works ( for me, and I am usually the one putting together the ps2link release packages ).

2) tombola et al is working on something called altimit, lions project is something different.
dont think either is excluding the other.

3) loading order is something you need to be aware of.
irx A depending on irx B wich have function Y that might not be in
an old irx B ( do you get the picture ? :)
Kung VU
dom

Post by dom »

Thank you blackdroid,
blackdroid wrote: 3) loading order is something you need to be aware of.
irx A depending on irx B wich have function Y that might not be in
an old irx B ( do you get the picture ? :)
So i can presume that some old irx can also have deprecated functions (that are
not present in the new one), and as i saw somewhere in the forum, if i execute
something which loads an old irx, i can't load the new one because it checks first
if the irx is present.
@+
dom
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Well, you have it backwards... And it's not so much that things have been removed, but that things have changed and added. Certain IOP modules require newer versions of it's dependencies, and won't work with old versions. Not all versions are compatible.

2) The libcdvd that ps2menu uses is not in ps2sdk, but is a seperate work.

3) No, there isn't a dependency tree (it might be nice if there was) but most IOP modules say what they require. Trying to load a module that's already loaded can cause a lot of problems. Loading a new version of an IOP modules does not just replace a previously running version as you seem to be thinking. You have to reset the IOP to clean everything off first.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
dom

Post by dom »

You have to reset the IOP to clean everything off first.
thank you Drakonite,

i'm not familiar with the ps2 hardware and i didn't know that.
@+
dom
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

dom wrote:
You have to reset the IOP to clean everything off first.
thank you Drakonite,

i'm not familiar with the ps2 hardware and i didn't know that.
Keep in mind that when you reset the IOP you also kill any link software or any of quite a few other things.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development