noob with unrelated registration question, but....

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Tom

noob with unrelated registration question, but....

Post by Tom »

Just signed up for an ID cause I'm currently hackin my ps3 and liked this forum, but my question is, I run a few forums, and I really liked the "choose all the pictures of dogs" captcha thing at registration. I know this isn't PS3 related, but I was wondering if just the admin here whipped it up, or maybe its just some os plugin that I just can't find.

I promise my following posts/threads, will be more ps3 in nature.

:noob:

Tom

P.S. Sorry.

P.P.S. yd6 iz not so bad. I like.
mind/matter
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

It's actually quite a terrible CAPTCHA, due to the narrow selection of non-obfuscated images and the fact that they have the answers right in their own filenames ("dog3.jpg", "horse1.jpg", "fish2.jpg"). But I guess if it keeps the stupider spammers away, that's still worth something.
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

KttenAuth was suggested to me by someone on the forums. You can find it at:

http://www.thepcspy.com/kittenauth

This reduced the SPAM dramatically. We still get a few SPAMs but a lot less than we used to.

David. aka Oobles.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I liked the concept and was thinking of adapting it my needs. Maybe take it to the next level. Does it work pretty well at keeping the bots out? I know that there are still plenty of work from home spammers that do it all by hand, and I expect those to slip through the cracks. I met one once and it took every bit of energy for me to not pimp slap him.

I've been having more and more trouble with spammers. I've set up my own captcha type thing that just asks them a question like "Type the first letter of the following word: bibliographic." and other questions like that, but they still get through. I've found that case sensitive captcha with all uppercase helps too.

I actually read an article where they're opening up sweatshops in india and other countries where screenshots are sent to people who then respond with the captcha answers. Apparently the low cost labor, and the minimal amount of profit from the spam make it all worth while.

I really hope there's a special place in hell for spammers . . . With extra large pineapples.
mind/matter
danzel

Post by danzel »

I suggested KittenAuth.
There is another one, more complicated to install and now probably incompatible with new versions of phpbb, which I have used else where. It uses GD to alter the images on the fly, making image recognition more difficult for computers.

Preview:
http://hamiltonmagic.co.nz/forum/profil ... greed=true
Source:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=472754