How about...

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Wally

How about...

Post by Wally »

Why not have a noob central?? Noobs keep posting crappy help requests.

I'd be happy to look after it as I know you developers are busy doing other stuff.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The problem is that noobs, being NOOBS, won't post in the noob section. That never want to admit they're noobs. They'll still litter the main forums.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Well, yeah but what if you enable guest posting and have the noobs allowed to post as a guest in that particular place.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

That might work better.
Ps3Rips

Post by Ps3Rips »

I think the guest posting was removed because of all the spam this place got littered with.
Kicking out a bad guy
Beating up a monster
Fighting against evil
I'll rescue this town
emoon

Post by emoon »

Indeed and we don't want that to happen again.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I wasn't thinking unregister/registered, I was thinking of two levels of registered. Call it a newby level, and a regular level. Unregistered still can't post at all, newbies are restricted to one forum, and regular users can post anywhere. Google groups has something like this in the group membership. All it takes is for moderators to eventually decide when to move a newby into the regular ranks. Most newbies post a few times and never come back as they realize this is not the place for them. The number of members to consider for moving would be fairly small and spread over time, so I don't see it as too big a job for the existing mods. It's more a matter of can the current bbs code handle such a thing.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Ps3Rips wrote:I think the guest posting was removed because of all the spam this place got littered with.
what i mean though is put guest posting in one specified board, guests would then only be able to post there..

You can see this set up at a Forum I moderate.. www.dosgames.com/forum

Guests can request help in Finding Old Games and Getting Games to Work but can not even view General Off Topic (Maybe they can but not post??)

You get my point