Official playback support for XviD media on the PLAYSTATION®

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

SwordOfWar

Official playback support for XviD media on the PLAYSTATION®

Post by SwordOfWar »

I have created a petition page in support for better XviD playback on the PS3. For those that do not know, the PS3 has problems playing a large amount of XviD videos. We have official support for Divx so let's try to push for the widely popular XviD format so the PS3 will be able to play a larger selection of videos.

Please click on the link below to view and sign the petition and improve XviD support on the PLAYSTATION®3:
http://www.petitiononline.com/ps3xvid/

Thank you for all those who sign the petition and support what will be the best next-generation console!
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Did you try altering the 4CC from XVID to DX50 on these problematic videos? Does that help?
Later,

Alcahest
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

I've tried, and no, it doesn't help. I basically tweaked one of my non-working videos so that the "tcprobe -i" output exactly matched a working video, and it still didn't work. But yes, I agree, I think finding the difference and just figuring out why exactly the PS3 is rejecting these videos is much more likely to help than filling out petitions.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I can't believe that one of the regular linux players cannot handle xvid properly. They ALL do on the x86. They're all open source and support the PPC/PS3. Try videolan-client (VLC)... that's never had a problem playing any xvid streams for me. There's also mplayer. These things use the official xvid code, as well as libavcodec. Maybe you should try telling it which codec you want to use on decoding (read the man page for these things).
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

Huh? We're talking about the PS3 XMB player in GameOS.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

jimparis wrote:Huh? We're talking about the PS3 XMB player in GameOS.
Oh, okay. Nevermind. :)

It's odd that Sony can't playback xvid in their official player given that it's open source. Maybe they aren't using the "official" xvid codec to avoid license issues.