Ideas for competition?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Oobles
Site Admin

Ideas for competition?

Post by Oobles »

Hi All..

We need some ideas for a christmas holiday competition for ps2dev. Any ideas welcome!

Ideas I've already had was:
- Classic Demo competition
- Classic 64kb demo.
- Best Tutorial for some aspect of ps2dev.
- PS3 related tools competition

Basically.. I may have some money/prizes (~500USD) that will be available to give away. I was thinking of starting the competition around the start of December. So, tell me if you like the above, or have some better ideas?

David. aka Oobles.
Wally

Post by Wally »

What about, Classic game Remakes / Ports

I'd still like to see Aleph One on PSP
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:What about, Classic game Remakes / Ports
I like that idea. :)
danzel

Post by danzel »

Remakes only, no ports :)
64k demo could be cool, I would also be interested in that.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

PS3 accelerated 3d demo would help push development on that front.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I've been thinking about PS3 demos for a while. Not using 3D acceleration though, but that's just because when I was first considering it there was no 3D hardware support of note.

SPU program, one SPU only, using SPU local store only - no DMA read from main store, no write (apart from video/audio output).

You'd probably need to provide enough standard infrastructure to produce video/audio from an SPU, but it becomes a progressive content/small memory space challenge.

4x the memory and 3200x the clock speed of a C64 - or half the RAM and 450x the clock speed of an Amiga 500. Whatever point of reference you care for ;)
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

jonathan's idea sounds an awful lot like SCEs VU competitions, it would be nice if we could get a similar harness for the SPUs. We saw alot of cool stuff from the VU compos, an SPU compo could be cool :)

I suggest similar restrictions, you only get one SPU, you only get what you can fit in local store, you can only access system resources through the harness (so the harness provides pad input, framebuffer output, PCM output)
Of course in the VU compos you had access to the GIF/GS, no such luck with this, which could make it more fun I guess (lots of software rendering techniques!)

I'd suggest limiting the output stuff to something sensible like 640x480 32bpp video, and mono 44KHz audio (for example), otherwise most of the SPU time will be wasted preparing data for "highdef"

Good idea :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

is this plan going ahead oobles? Im anxious to know :)