Server down?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

J.F.

Server down?

Post by J.F. »

I haven't been able to get to either the front page at http://ps2dev.org/ or the svn repo since yesterday afternoon. What's weird is the forum works great - must be on a different server.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

ps2dev.org works fine for me
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Well, it's finally back up! Guess my post jogged someone into checking. :)
sm0k3ymcl3ud

Post by sm0k3ymcl3ud »

now its back down again, i'm getting an HTTP "503 Service Temporarily Unavailable", a little investigation tells me the admin actually owns the server, so he/she's probably doing updates. I know how this is because I do the same thing, run a server from home.
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

Yep. I do own the server. The main site is run on tomcat and the last month or so there's a problem which is causing it to stop working once in a while. I've put a cron job to check if the number of open sessions raises too high. If it does I reset tomcat. At some stage I'll work out what is causing the problem and fix it. Until then, sorry, there might be issues.

David.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Well, we appreciate what you do. Keeping a server running 24/7 is a big and (usually) thankless task. People only notice when things aren't working and forget that the other 99.999% of the time it's worked perfectly. :)

So, thanks a bunch!
sm0k3ymcl3ud

Post by sm0k3ymcl3ud »

Yes most definitely, thank you, I know how hard it can be to maintain your own server, especially with respect to tomcat. Along with the privilege of root access comes great responsibility. I've never had any experience with tomcat but one of my good buddies says it's a very picky server. I never really got into java but I respect you for the fact that you are running a website in java, it's a tough language. What are your server/connection specs if you don't mind my asking?
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Oobles wrote:The main site is run on tomcat and the last month or so there's a problem which is causing it to stop working once in a while. I've put a cron job to check if the number of open sessions raises too high. If it does I reset tomcat. At some stage I'll work out what is causing the problem and fix it.
Ah tomcat, that means nothing than trouble, it's very hungry for resources. I had similar trouble and had to double ram to 4GB, still it's locking up ocassionally.
Wally

Post by Wally »

chankya wrote:I dont think that the server is down as it work fine for me too.
Check the date the last post was on -_-