PSP: wrong charge state indication?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

jockyw2001

PSP: wrong charge state indication?

Post by jockyw2001 »

I bought a third party PSP 2800 mAh battery. After fully charging it, the battery status shows 51% charged. But if I connect the charger it says fully charged. Is this a firmware bug in 3.40-oe ?
Art

Post by Art »

51% charged reported on your PSP screen?
That information is passed from the battery to the PSP via that extra serial port.
More likely a bug or flaw in emulation of the smart battery software I would think.
Art.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Actually, you probably just need to reset the settings to default. Most of the people I've seen who report battery issues found they went away after resetting the settings and doing a full discharge/recharge cycle. The problem seems to be the PSP is still looking at the info from your new battery as if it were the old battery, so you need to get rid of the old battery info in the settings.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

I left it connected to the charger for a few hours although it was already fully charged and the led was off. When I then switched it on and looked again it was on 100%

Seems that it needs some time to get used to the new battery (which easily reaches about 9 hours playtime btw).

Tip:
If you're shopping for a new battery in S'pore, Taiwan or HK, don't buy the 3600mAh models. They suck big time. Go for the 2800mAh (text embossed in goldcolour print).