Idea: PS3/PSP Home Security Project

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

FreeFighter

Idea: PS3/PSP Home Security Project

Post by FreeFighter »

Well i got the idea from this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGbf0v3iHYA

The PS3 is supposed to be able to have 7 bluetooth controllers working on a single PS3(according to the specs and manual anyway)
What if instead of the controllers it were all Bluetooth/USB cameras?
And instead of using the PSP at home you could change it for the Sony LF-PK1 LocationFree Base Station.
That way you can log onto it with your PSP/PC from anywhere around the world. Just like going on vacation and you have to leave your pet in a kennel with a webcam: http://www.barkinglotinc.com/cams/default.html

Requirements:
- Up to 6 USB/Bluetooth cameras
- PSP/PC
- Sony LF-PK1 LocationFree Base Station
- A good dev that can make an app to run all this
- Time for developement etc...
- Money to buy all this stuff

So what do you guys think?
Will it ever be possible to make something like that?
Is it usefull?
rapso

Post by rapso »

why not just use one of those cams with http-sever? I've one for exactly that purpose and it works quite well. (it's has a wifi connection to my router/modem so it's directly accesible via an ddns on the internet)

for security stuff, like sending an email if someone enters the room, it's just to expensive to let ur ps3 runnig all the time. cost about 2euro for energy per day (estimated)
it's a way cheaper to have a small server for that (small ones need about 1/10 of that energy). there is already software for that for the quickcams if I remember right.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

It would also be an interesting way to keep track of the babysitter. Many folks now tape their homes when they're away for all sorts of reasons, and more than one babysitter has been sacked for what wound up on the tape. To be fair, people should really warn the babysitter about taping... give them a chance to decide if they don't mind, and give a warning not to get caught picking their nose. :)
FreeFighter

Post by FreeFighter »

rapso wrote:for security stuff, like sending an email if someone enters the room, it's just to expensive to let ur ps3 runnig all the time. cost about 2euro for energy per day (estimated)
it's a way cheaper to have a small server for that (small ones need about 1/10 of that energy). there is already software for that for the quickcams if I remember right.
Well i had my PS3 running for a long time folding, so i wouldn't really mind to leave it running. And Folding@home is running as if it was a game. I guess the application would use some amount of enery, but not that much.
J.F. wrote:It would also be an interesting way to keep track of the babysitter. Many folks now tape their homes when they're away for all sorts of reasons, and more than one babysitter has been sacked for what wound up on the tape. To be fair, people should really warn the babysitter about taping... give them a chance to decide if they don't mind, and give a warning not to get caught picking their nose. :)
You can use those cameras of the Meet the Parents movie. ;)
Art

Post by Art »

The only 1s and 0s that use energy are the ones that form instructions to
adjust the system clock speed.
Once the CPU is running it's cycling if executing instructions or not.
The program you run does not "put the foot down".

To use less power it would be a better aim to not use HDDs, DVDs, etc.
HellDragon

Post by HellDragon »

It could be something interesting to dev, but not really useful