ps3dev.org

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

mtb

ps3dev.org

Post by mtb »

Hi

Me and shine have been bouncing idea's off each other on IRC about PS3 homebrew as today we got full PPU and PPE toolchains working on a 64bit distribution - the problem is I don't think there is a site out there tracking PS3 homebrew - and it's an area that could explode at any moment.

You have the PS3dev.org name, you really need to separate it from ps2dev.org and have a site dedicated to PS3 development before some losers do it first:)
ralferoo

Post by ralferoo »

Personally, I think the 2 forums on here are already adequate. From what I can tell, all the development discussion sites with PS3 in the title haven't been touched for almost a year (i.e. all speculative) except those that are being hit by post-bots are are mostly spam.

The danger of marginalising the site this early is that there isn't actually much discussion out there at the moment as the scene hasn't really started yet and having the PS3 sections as part of an already vibrant community means that it'll attract other people who might be interested.
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

I am very open to the idea of splitting off ps3dev.org but also agree that a lot of people already know about ps2dev.org. Keeping it all in the same place has a lot of advantages in regard to management of the site, etc.

One of the big advantages in my mind of splitting of ps3dev.org is that developing for the ps3 is open and supported by Sony. Having a site which concentrates on the supported open platform may get more support from Sony. The current situation is that Sony neither recognise the homebrew community, or attempt to stop it. In the mind of Sony it is better they just pretend ps2dev.org doesn't exist. Maybe Sony will let us know what they prefer? :)

For now I wouldn't split ps3dev.org off until there was a core set of libraries and small community on ps2dev.org interested in supporting it. At the moment we have nothing in the ps3 subversion repository.

Regards,
David.
ralferoo

Post by ralferoo »

Oobles wrote:For now I wouldn't split ps3dev.org off until there was a core set of libraries and small community on ps2dev.org interested in supporting it. At the moment we have nothing in the ps3 subversion repository.
Oooh, I didn't realise there was a subversion repository! How do we go about getting an account for it?

My immediate plans for PS3 projects are:
  • * A few more demos to try out various ways of efficiently blitting sprites and multi-layered tiled blocks (I'm thinking several level parallax scrolling)
    * Writing a basic polygon renderer on the SPUs
    * Organising all my utility modules into distinct modular library parts (although I'm writing them with that in mind, I know the SPU stuff needs genericising, for instance)
    * Writing either a 2D platform game or bomberman game, depending whether I get any inspirational ideas or just default to bomberman (I used to love that game!)
    * Re-exploring the 3D space game rendering ideas I had a few years ago
    * Building a standardised live CD targetting standalone demos / games that we can just dump binaries on. Ideally users should be able to run with just the CD image and the otheros.self file from Sony's website.
Most of this I'd be happy to check into subversion reasonably regularly, although I guess in the initial stages of most of these projects I'd prefer if people weren't changing things under my feet when I'm experimenting, so in that sense I'd probably consider it to be write only for a while rather than a true collaborative project.

Also, I'm wondering though if there are any licensing restrictions with using a subversion repository? For instance, if I checked in all my code is there an automatic licence applied to anything in the repository, or is it up to us to specify what licence we want to release things in? (e.g. I'm happy for people to freely use bits of my projects as stepping stones to their own as long as that wouldn't preclude me doing what I want with it later myself - and what happens if other people have modified my libraries for instance and I wanted to sell a game written using them?)

(I'm wondering if this discussion should actually now be on the PS3 development forum!)
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

I've just put up a page with a little information on getting write access to subversion.

http://ps2dev.org/Site_Information/Subversion

Send me a message and I'll organise you write access.

David. aka Oobles.