libmpeg

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

EEUG

libmpeg

Post by EEUG »

...first public release of PS2 optimized MPEG video decoding library ('libmpeg') is added to ps2sdk and commited to SVN. Refer README.txt, source code and sample program provided for details...
chp

Post by chp »

Good work, there has been a lack of IPU usage on the homebrew platform. :)
GE Dominator
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Nice work, the IPU is definately a road less travelled.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

After frying my last system, I'm almost back up to speed on ps2dev. I was able to compile SMS the other day (still trying to get the PS2 hooked back up to ethernet, but I'm short cables after moving... must be in a box somewhere...).

I keep wanting to work on SMS, but things keep getting in my way. I move, my computer fries, can't find my cables... :) Well, I was able to burn a CD and run stuff that way, but it runs through CDs quick. I'll pick up a few ethernet cables at WalMart tomorrow.

Things I can try that I keep meaning to work on:

Sony remote - it's handy for the official DVD player, it'd be nice to have in SMS.

Computer monitor support - I have an RGB cable and used it with PS2 Linux, so it shouldn't be too much work to add support. It really should be a matter of opening a VESA mode instead of NTSC or PAL. I'd really like to see my 640x480 AVIs at 640x480.

HDTV support - similar to above, I currently run my PS2 through component cable to a Dell 2407WFP. having HDTV support in SMS would be nice as well.

Back before I ran into the fun that's kept me away from ps2dev, I was able to try the optical audio pass through, and it seemed to work. I need to try a bit more with that... make sure Ac3 pass thru works and maybe try DTS.
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

@J.F: "Sony remote - it's handy for the official DVD player, it'd be nice to have in SMS": it's there for a long time, just refer that big README file for information :);

"Computer monitor support": it's also there. Use SMS menu -> display settings for VESA mode (I've made support for 640x480@60Hz and 640x480@75Hz, I think);

"HDTV support": never thought about it as I don't have HDTV itself. Is there ehough GS RAM for that? How else can we scale image without loosing performance?

"DTS" passthrough is not implemented, but it won't be so hard to do it. The only thing to do is make "sync" bytes around each DTS frame and use existing functionality to transfer these frames to S/PDIF output.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

See? That's how long I've been away. :)

I'll try out the stuff to see how it's working. Pretty well, I imagine. :) As to HDTV, the way that a certain product works to make the PS2 play games in all HDTV modes is to use the magnification settings to stretch the (smaller) display across the whole screen. For example, if you're using the 1280x768 HDTV mode, your 640 wide display needs to be doubled with the horizontal magnification. All those low-level settings are in some of the low-level example code, and in PS2Linux. The same technique could be used for larger VESA modes.

As to DTS, yes, I was glancing through the code last night and noticed many of the things I asked for were already there. I noticed that DTS wasn't, but the AC3 pass-through code could easily be adapted to DTS pass-through. It would actually be the best way to handle DTS as the DTS people keep waving their patents every time someone tries to make a library to decode DTS. libdca is good, but can't be distributed here in the US. We US folks gotta find some European site to get it from. :(
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

...anyway, next I'm planning to make mpeg1/2 support (based on the very same libmpeg that I've added to ps2sdk). I've made a lot of changes with packet management stuff, and I'm just waiting for more test results as there can be bugs. These changes are not in SVN yet. Also I'm progressing a bit with an .irx driver for SMB network protocol...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Cool. I have the current svn version I compiled playing an m3u right now (Joe Satriani's Crystal Planet). Now to try a few of those things you added to see how they work... particularly the VESA... the Dell 2407WFP is a good monitor, but its composite/s-video/component inputs are rather low quality.