Create a VMWare appliance with full working ps2dev environt

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

j

Post by j »

I'd be more than happy to post the vm you create Drakonite.. I can give you an ftp for upload if you like.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I already killed off OpenOffice...you're all right, there's a load of cruft in there that's not needed, but it's only a fraction larger than the ubuntu iso, so is good value for download, and if someone wants to tidy it up, or recommend another distro that has a smaller overhead and a proper root account then I can easily do this again.

Jim
jum

Post by jum »

Nice going dudes.

I also managed to build an Ubuntu VM using VMware server, but even thinned down it's 1GB zipped.

Even 700MB is way too much for my lame connection, so it would be nice to create a very thin VM (no GUI, no OS utilities, no apps). I'm going to try Ubuntu "server" install. Maybe one of the BSD's would work better.

- Jum
8 bits is all you'll ever need...
tmator_

Post by tmator_ »

Hi,

we do a simple PS2DEV vmware disk image with debian sarge, it contain :

- ps2toolchain, sdk and gsKit
- xfce
- editors (vim, kate)
- terms (xterm, konsole)
- web (firefox, xchat)

to devellop user : ps2dev , pass : ps2dev
and root password is : motdepasseroot

you can download it on the froggies web site : http://psxdev.org/index.php?page=dl&type=ps2

for technical support go here, you can speak in french or english : http://psxdev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=649
hlide

Post by hlide »

I'm looking for a recent image with PSPDEV and SDL at least, anyone ?
tmator_

Post by tmator_ »

HI,

on http://psxdev.fr you can found a recent vmware
disk without sdl, but it's simple to install it.
hlide

Post by hlide »

[froggie]
merci, mais dommage qu'il n'y ait pas le SDL avec.
[/froggie]

"thanks, but what a shade that no SDL was included."

I needed SDL because I wanted to modify gpSP 0.7 and recompile it. Having devKitPro don't help much to recompile SDL source. :/

Well, I suppose I should make some place on my harddisks and install cygwin...

Indeed, I was forced to remove VMWare Server because it takes too much time to launch a window session. So if someone does know this problem and how to resolve it, I would be interested because the idea to have a virtual linux under windows is something exciting.

By the way, should using VMWare Player not be enough to "play" your pspdev image ?
kalayne

VMWare for PS2?

Post by kalayne »

I think using VMWare is a great way to quickly get a development environment up and running...this hasn't been mentioned in this thread, so I thought I'd throw it out there:

My favorite way to run VMWare (on Windows) is alongside Cygwin/X. The VMWare window is hard to work with (I can't even remember the escape sequence to switch back and forth with Windows) and performs decently but not great for a graphical desktop. Instead of going to runlevel 5, try runlevel 3 and keep the VMWare window minimized. Now you have a virtual Linux (or whatever) server running as a process on your Windows machine. Fire up Cygwin/X and ssh -X (for some reason I have to use -Y or I get X protocol errors -- don't know why) to your virtual machine. Now you have the best of both worlds...use cygwin only for what you want (ssh and a window manager) and the other OS for everything else, with pretty good graphics performance. *Note*: this requires messing a little with the /etc/hosts files in Windows or cygwin or both. I have only used one type of network interface in VMWare, don't remember which (NAT I think) and may change depending on that setting. Anyway, you might want to try this, or even use rsh between server and virtual host. Let me know if any of this is unclear.

**I wasn't really thinking when I wrote the ssh part...you should get better performance using telnet/xhost vs. ssh -X. I'm just used to doing it that way for other reasons (non-VMWare).**

Also, on a second and only slightly related point...is anyone out there actually familiar with the workings of VMWare? I know a CS prof who loves VMWare and uses it for teaching when he wants students to have a uniform development environment (similar to the purpose with ps2dev). He tells me that VMWare acheives very little performace hit while processing instructions because all user-mode instructions run as-is, with no emulation layer. Only privileged instructions generate traps or software interrupts (don't kill me, I'm not sure of the proper terminology here) that VMWare registers with the host OS. This allows VMWare to handle access to (for instance) virtual devices. Pretty cool.

The interesting part (forgive the bright colors, just don't want to lose anyone)

Anyway, I'm completely new to PS2 development, but ever since I found out about homebrew development, this idea has been kicking around in my head: can something similar be done on the PS2, to load a very thin virtualization layer for devices, etc. below (commercial or otherwise) applications? What comes to mind first is making programs believe that the memory card is a hard disk partition, soft booting or escaping the PS2 to this homebrew virtualized system. I don' t know if this has been discussed, thought of, or if this is the appropriate forum, but hopefully someone out there thinks this is interesting and can give some feedback.

-Keith
Last edited by kalayne on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weltall

Post by weltall »

to do that you need to replace the mc modules from t he iop when the game/the bios loads their modules.
the problem here is that there are various version of it and so you need to do some modules and put the right one.
for example there is out there a way to put an "mc" in a usb mass device but it works only with the browser screen (and two old games)
radad

Post by radad »

I have got this working by using the Debian Sarge, minimal (netinstall) vmware installation from this site http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/ - a 115 MB download.

Then I just added a few extra packages like gcc, make, patch, svn - about another 50 MB download I think.

Then I downloaded and run the toolchain script.

I have also added a telnet and ftp server to access the virtual machine remotely. I use windows editors to edit the files via ftp.

Seems to be working. This way may be better than giving a prepackaged vmware installation. Some users may appreciate more detailed instructions though.