Ps2Client/Ps2Link don't work for me, could do with some help

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Kojima

Ps2Client/Ps2Link don't work for me, could do with some help

Post by Kojima »

Hey, my powerpack got here this morning and I've got it all set up, and ps2link running on my ps2.
It boots fine, and says ready.

the config is:192.168.0.10 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1

And I used this commandline to invoke ps2clint,

ps2client -h 192.168.0.10 execee host:hello.elf

but when i press enter nothing happens. ps2client just sits there.

I've manually set my router's local ip to 192.168.0.1 as I think i'm supposed to do.

Now I'm sure my pc can connect to the console through router(BT voyager 2091) because I use the xbox360 media connect functionality quite a bit and it works perfectly.

So any ideas where I'm going wrong? Should I check my cables or can you suggest another alternative? I can't find any tutorials/docs on the subject so i'm a bit lost atm.

Is naplink any good? I have usb cables to fall back on.
SSpeare

Post by SSpeare »

What is your TCP/IP configuration on your computer?

You need to make sure your PC is using the same subnet mask and gateway usually. 192.168.0.1 should be the default gateway. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 of course, and the PC's IP must be 192.168.0.X. Where X is anything except 10 and 1 (since they're already used).

I don't think there is any problem with the PS2, it sounds like a network configuration problem.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

Could be the I.P, mine is currently 192.168.1.1
But something very wierd is happening, if I change the ip to 192.168.0.2
it says 'you must reboot your modem' I do so, but then windows refuses to acknowledge the router. can't connect to the net nor can I open the router config (It says it's not plugged in)

Nothing fixes this, not rebooting, switching the router off etc, all I can do is hit the factory reset button on the router and reset to my default ip. then it sees it again.

Anyone know why? i'm using a BT Wireless Voyager 2091 connected to my pc via usb. (The wireless isn't used.) my ps2 is connected to the pc via the ethernet port on the router.

I want to give naplink a try. are there any guides/tutorials for how to burn it to disc? I have the distro but it's just a folder called cd. I take it i need cdgenps2? Anyone know where i can grab that? I had an impossible time finding it before.
SSpeare

Post by SSpeare »

So... the PC is plugged into the router using ethernet, but the PC is connected using USB? I don't know how that works exactly. Do you have an ethernet port on your PC? If you can use ethernet on the PC then it should work, I don't know the details about the USB.

I guess if it works for other networking setups then you should be able to get it to work. Can you change the configuration file that ps2link is loading and change the router IP and PS2 IP? If so, then you might be able to set it to whatever the router is defaulting to and that might fix the issue. There should be a .CNF file or something that you can alter that sits next to PS2LINK.ELF. I don't remember the exact name. It's a text file.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

Yeah through usb. I was kinda surprised as well when my 360 connected first time, I thought I'd need a pci network card too but apparently not.

Problem with changing the config is, I'm using a prebuild ISO that I got off xorloser's site so I'm not sure how to edit it without having to create my own bin/cue?
I have a cd-rw so I can safelty try as many times as needed but I could still do with a few pointers.
What apps/procedures do I need to follow to create a ps2 compatible disc?
I have a feeling you're going to say PsCDgen (Or whatever it's called) if you do I'd really appreciate if you told where you got it (In pm if you'd rather not say in public :) )

cheers for the help.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

hey does anyone know where I can get the naplink iso found on this page? http://www.gungans.de/h11/en/devps2-lif ... plink.html
it's now an inactive link.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

OK naplink is a non starter. found an iso burnt it, then discovered i have the wrong usb lead. (I a-teamed a lead from two connectors. I had no idea i needed a proper link cable with a funky bit in the middle. Can I swear here? FFFFFF..(OI! - Editor)
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

I've found an iso of naplink so I can edit the ipconfig file.

It currently is, 192.168.0.10 255.0.0.0 192.168.0.1
mc0:conf.dat

Shoud I change the third one to match my router ip?
SSpeare

Post by SSpeare »

You'll probably have to change all three. if the subnet mask is 255.0.0.0 then at least the first number in every connection's IP must match the first number in the router's IP. Most people use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask which means that the first three numbers must match on every connection's IP that is on the same subnet.

Check the router or the PC and make the PS2 match that, since changing the PC seems to mess the router up.

so, if your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and the router's IP is X.Y.Z.1, then the PS2's IP should be X.Y.Z.10 or something and the PC should be X.Y.Z.11 or whatever.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

YES that did it :) :) I just had to change the first three numbers of the ps2 ip and bada bing bada bing bam boom it worked first time. Thanks alot man, if I can ever return the favour just ask :)
SSpeare

Post by SSpeare »

No problem. Good news!