PMP Mod v2.02b & PMP Mod AVC v1.02M subtitle mod+FW2.0+

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Very nice Raphael (and jonny of course).
You don't mind if I use it as codebase for next PMP VLC versions do you?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Sure not :) it's open source, that's what it is meant for
Good luck
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bump. Updated the FontGenerator tool. Have fun creating your own (asian) fonts :P
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Where can we find any snazzy font to use,with the sub mod?
csuper

Post by csuper »

Hye Raphael,

Can we display the subtitle in yellow ?

What is your favorite font ?

csuper.
psp

Post by psp »

@Raphael
a little bug.
when i see a video with black strips (like with AR of 2.35)
the subtiltes on this black stips arent deleted and a new line is worte on a previous line. thats make it unreadable.

@csuper
click CROSS+SQUARE untill it's turn yellow
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

therock003 wrote:Where can we find any snazzy font to use,with the sub mod?
You mean where to find some nice .ttf fonts to convert with the tool?
There are lots of sites with available fonts, like http://www.fontz.org/
If you need already converted fonts (Are you on non-windows machine?), that's a problem, as there is currently no possibility for me to write a *nix font converter tool, that easily. But I'm already working on a whole new font rendering code, that should make it easier to do a FreeType/*nix tool.
csuper wrote:Hye Raphael,

Can we display the subtitle in yellow ?

What is your favorite font ?
Yes, yellow subtitle color is included and can be switched to by clicking CROSS+SQUARE during playback until they turn yellow (I remembered that request of yours ;). For myself I currently only use the default font (which is Arial Unicode). It's nothing special, but it's clean and good to read.

psp wrote: a little bug.
when i see a video with black strips (like with AR of 2.35)
the subtiltes on this black stips arent deleted and a new line is worte on a previous line. thats make it unreadable.
Oh, I totally missed to check for non-fullscreen videos :( I'll try to get a patch up asap. Thanks for the information
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Yes i wa talking about .ttf files.I'm in search of one that's pretty eye catching.I've browsed some sites,but they all seem so common.

And i'm on a windows machine.

BTW i page back i think you mentioned some graphic changes,but i dloaded the latest 2.02 version and there are none.Or at least i think so.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

If you refer to this sentence
Raphael wrote:PS: I also got some very nice updated GUI graphics done by argandona once again, and be believe me when I say it will look marvelous ;)
It was just a hint, that argandona is working on the GUI graphics for the final version too, so you can expect something more polished then the screenshots seen in mallocs old thread :) Nothing visible for you yet ;P
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Quick fix update for the black border subtitle overdrawing, as well as a PMP Mod AVC version and a improved FontGenerator tool with better quality.
psp

Post by psp »

thanks for the update.

the link for Font Generator 0.3 is broken.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Sorry, stupid case-sensitivity :/ Should work now
augustheart

Post by augustheart »

good work!
and how about simplified Chinese font?GB or GBK font?
augustheart

Post by augustheart »

It seems the big5 broke
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Broke like what? Please provide more information, that is really important. It would also be helpful if you could provide me with the subtitle file you used to test.
You should also notice that all asian language subtitles currently need to be saved in UTF-8 format to work. So check that's the case with your file
therock003

Post by therock003 »

2 font questions.

A)How do i enable ClearType,i don't get it?

B)Is there any way to preview the fonts created in order to determine if they'll be watchable?Cause i downloaded some from fontz.org,and i wonder if they'll be clear enough on the psp screen.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

a) right-click desktop -> settings -> windows customization -> effects
Well, that's it for WinXP Prof

b) Convert the font and select "save bitmap", so you get a .bmp file of the texture used inside the .f file. The glyphs look exactly as they will on the PSP (apart from eventual displacements)
psp

Post by psp »

The subtitle looks good but not as they could be.

Some little nuance with Hebrew subtitle:

The letters are far away from each other causing it to look a little weird.
in exaggeration, something like that:

e x a m p l e s u b t i t l e

Another thing is that the first letter in the sentence is partially cut off (not in every sentence).

last thing, letters that are vertically long are cut from beneath.

I hope that it doesn't seems like I am complaining. The subtitle still looks good and I really appreciate this mod.
Last edited by psp on Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Were the letters spaced correctly with the previous version, ie the old fonts? You could also try, regenerating the font and applying 0 blur (blur will smoothen the border, but also stretch it and make the outer most pixels nearly transparent, so it results in more 'spacing' between letters also).

With the cutting, I'd probably need the subtitle file you used and give me the position where such a sentence appears.
I also noticed a little problem with vertical cutting sometimes, where it shouldn't be, since the glyph isn't cut in the font bitmap. Seems I have some wrong assumptions about the character height here and there.

Thanks for the feedback, I don't take it as critics :)
psp

Post by psp »

0 blur is like the old fonts, right?. The spacing was noticeable also in the the previous version.
It's a lot nicer when i use bold fonts but I prefer regular fonts and less spacing.

About vertical cutting I marked the letters that are cut of in the bitmap file.
http://rapidshare.de/files/26548679/font10.f.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/26548800/font10.f.bmp.html
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

psp wrote:0 blur is like the old fonts, right?.
Along with a border of 1.0 yes. Should be pretty much like the old fonts.
About vertical cutting I marked the letters that are cut of in the bitmap file.
http://rapidshare.de/files/26548679/font10.f.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/26548800/font10.f.bmp.html
Yes I see, but your font is a little oversized it seems (W and @ are highly cut). Probably try either setting the border size somewhat smaller, maybe 1.2 or alike or try setting the font-size in the dialog to one point smaller.

I think I have to allow fonts to be up to 32x32 too, currently the size limit is quite restricting, though that's quite a lot of change in the internals to do (also interferes with my italic/bold support) :(
Or I completely redo the way I save the glyphs, and make them any size, but that would invalidate all older fonts.
But well, I'll need some bigger sized fonts for the GUI anyway.
psp

Post by psp »

Changed the font-size from 14 to 12 -> worked (no cutting) but too small in my opinion.

Changed the font-size from 14 to 13 -> worked but i needed to reduce the border to 1.1, too bad :( 1.5 border and 0.3 blur looks a lot better. reasonable size.

So in conclusion now i am useing font-size 13 (with old style font) -> no cutting , less but still noticeable spacing .

Btw the default hebrew font (ISO8859-8 Latin, Hebrew ) looks horrible :).
Anyway this is the hebrew font I am useing (after a trial and error):
http://rapidshare.de/files/26560091/fon ... 9_8.f.html
augustheart

Post by augustheart »

Raphael wrote:Broke like what? Please provide more information, that is really important. It would also be helpful if you could provide me with the subtitle file you used to test.
You should also notice that all asian language subtitles currently need to be saved in UTF-8 format to work. So check that's the case with your file
the srt file
http://rapidshare.de/files/26581897/test.srt.html
and it look like this at psp
http://rapidshare.de/files/26581993/snap0003.bmp.html
It seems cant get the big5.f?
How the mod recognize which language the srt is?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

augustheart wrote: It seems cant get the big5.f?
How the mod recognize which language the srt is?
Well, that's the problem. It's next to impossible to detect the language of the srt just from it's contents.
I decided to depend on the font the user has set. If it is one of the asian languages with a unicode charmap, the mod tries to read all subtitles as UTF-8 by default. That's btw also why I didn't yet add UTF-16 input, even though the code is already there.

But comming to your problem, the screenshot you provide looks much like it uses a nonasian font and therefore reads ASCII characters, leading to the weird output. You get nearly the same result if you open the srt file in an editor and force it to read as ASCII.
So it seems you didn't rename the big5.f file to font10.f (I should have mentioned that more clearly that this step is neccessary for asian languages also).

Apart from that, I noticed that I used Arial Unicode to create the Big5 font, but afaik Arial Unicode doesn't hold all Big5 characters. I'll upload a new version asap.
Notice though that even the updated font won't recognize the following three glyphs from your test srt and replace them with '?':
 辊 刚
So either these are not included in the Big5 charset (I got the list from unicode.org), or I have some error with my glyph finding :( I'll investigate on that

EDIT:
No, these three are not included in the Big5 charmap provided on unicode.org, and also not in the CNS-11643 charmap. Though both cover roughly 18.000 glyphs :§
If anyone knows a 'better' table of glyphs to cover, please lmk.

EDIT2: I found two of these three characters are at least covered by gb-18030. I also found a repository with dozens of unicode mapping tables here http://dev.icu-project.org/cgi-bin/view ... /data/ucm/
So I'll probably include an option to FontGen to read tables from ucm files, so you can choose your table from there (or even generate your own :P)

PS: I uploaded a new version of FontGenerator also, which fixes the wide spacing of characters, also introducing a new option to manually adjust the spacing and fixing the vertical clipping bug, but at the cost that it currently will cut the rightmost character by a few pixels :(. I cannot control this without updating pmp mod though, so you'll have to either take that little drawback or stick with the too wide spread font.

There's a problem that crashes fontgen randomly when creating asian fonts, but I have yet to find the real cause of this. It's really freaking me out, because there is a single line which has absolutely no possibility to cause the crash, though removing the line will avoid a crash (but completely displace all characters). Probably have to sleep a night over it...

http://www.fx-world.org/download/fontgen04.zip
augustheart

Post by augustheart »

Thank you for your answer.at last i get it works
the srt look like this
http://rapidshare.de/files/26592096/snap0004.rar.html
and i test some different code,and the test1.srt is correct.
http://rapidshare.de/files/26592135/test.rar.html

Because my system defaut language is GB Chinese language,so I test convert GB to BIG5(test.srt) and GBK Simplified Chinese to GBK Traditional Chinese(test1.srt).
augustheart

Post by augustheart »

as you see,the BIG5 cant work but GBK Traditional Chinese works.in fact,GBK Simplified Chinese works too,but the big5.f havent all the char.
psp

Post by psp »

wow! the spacing looks great. thank you.

didn't notice any change in the vertical cutting. what did you changed?
Last edited by psp on Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Raphael, there is something wrong with the PMP MOD 2.02b sourcecode. It builds okay, but when executing the screen becomes black soon after "loading ...". The binary distribution works well.

ps: I didn't change the code (yet) and the font files are in place
ps2: the previous version 2.02 runs fine
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

@jockyw: I had quite some problems with the dynamic change of CPU speed, but I thought I fixed that with 2.02b :( Well, try to remove all the setfrequency calls inside the main loop and it should work. Maybe even works if you just remove the setfrequency at the start of the loop.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Raphael wrote:Maybe even works if you just remove the setfrequency at the start of the loop.
Yes, removing the setfrequency at line 226 did the trick. Thanks:)