PS2Link 1.46

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Drakonite
Site Admin

PS2Link 1.46

Post by Drakonite »

I have just posted ps2link 1.41 beta. Please keep in mind it has not been thoroughly tested yet (hence the beta).

Major changes since last release:
  • Builtin IRXs is now default build behavior
  • Some cleanup of the build process / makefiles
  • PS2Link 1.41 now has Cached Config support; config information is cached and is no longer loaded on each reset (requires builtin irxs to be enabled as well)
  • Extra Config support is currently disabled
The reason extra config support is currently disabled is that it is not compatible with Cached config support. So far it seems few people are using extra config support, so assuming no major complaints arise (trolls ignored) this will probably be how future official releases will be setup. Keep in mind, extra config support is not removed from ps2link, it is just disabled if config caching is enabled. In future versions you'll just have to rebuild ps2link with cached config disabled if you need extra config support.

So what is this Cached Config? well, here are some of the new features of a cached config enabled PS2Link:
  • No longer needs to access boot device after initial boot
  • Can (theoretically, as it hasn't been tested yet) boot from anywhere (including loading ipconfig data) a loader can launch it from, including one of the menu loaders launching it from hdd or usb!
  • Consistent environment no matter what boot method used (no longer loads extra modules when booting from MC)
  • No longer spins up cdrom to read on reset, which means faster resets from cdrom, less wear and tear, and no need to keep ps2link cdrom inserted
  • Can now debug programs that require XSIO2MAN (such as mtap enabled programs) even if booting from memcard
Again, keep in mind it's a beta and I haven't tested it thoroughly yet. I've only tested booting from cdrom and host. I'm more concerned about memcard booting, and I'm quite curious if hdd or usb mass booting does indeed work correctly.

Please use and abuse it and give me any bug reports and feedback you may have.

UPDATE: I've now posted ps2link v1.46 to the main ps2dev site with the other loaders, and as such have removed the other copies mentioned in this thread from my site.
Last edited by Drakonite on Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Posted ps2link 1.42 beta. This should hopefully provide a fix for the issues caused loading from certain menu loaders that overlap ps2link's memory range.
Last edited by Drakonite on Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

bravedog tells me it's still broken... so seems no quick fix, and some changes to the menu loaders in question will have to be made.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Drakonite
Site Admin

Another update!

Post by Drakonite »

I've been working with dlanor this morning to get things working, and it seems we've now fixed the issues in ulaunchelf, so you should now be able to run the new ps2link 1.42 from ulaunchelf.

You'll need at least ulaunchelf v3.46 or newer, and ps2link 1.42 or newer (both of which should be formally released by tonight). Embedded irx verions of ps2link prior to 1.42 are not guarenteed to boot from ulaunchelf, and ulaunchelf prior to v3.46 is not guarenteed to boot any embedded irx versions of ps2link (in fact, it'll probably crash, even with 1.42).

The old style "non embedded irx" versions of ps2link should load fine in any version combination.

This should hopefully by the last major glitch, so hopefully I'll be able to make a formal ps2link 1.42 release tonight.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
firehawk

Post by firehawk »

Is the 1.42 beta the last version or are you going to provide the link for a new version? Sorry bothering you. :)
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Sorry about that, I got a bit tired last night and I've been waiting for two projects that are supposed to roll out today before I do the front page news post of all the new stuff..

There were some problems with exploit booting that had to be fixed, but everything seems to be fixed now, so here is PS2Link 1.46, which should be the copy thats gets the official release today.
Last edited by Drakonite on Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
firehawk

Post by firehawk »

No problem. I know what you mean about get tired. :)
Thanks a lot for this great release. Nice work!!! :)
todi1856

Post by todi1856 »

Sorry for possibly stupid question ,

i've downloaded PS2Link 1.46 , but my InLink v1.3.7 cant seem to recognized it and wont switch to "Ready" state, so i cant download elf to PS2.

What am i doing wrong?
weltall

Post by weltall »

use a newer client. inlink is old and doesn't support a lot of new function.
if you want a builtin-gui client try xlink else ps2client
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

make sure IP information is setup correctly as well..
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
todi1856-loggedout

Post by todi1856-loggedout »

IP Config is correct , cause ps2link 1.3 worked fine , and i only resaved ps2link.elf , and left all the configuration the same , i'll try to get newer inlink.

Thx for quick replies :)
joker

Post by joker »

I really liked the EXTRA.CNF because i could load PS2NETFS.IRX with it.
This enabled all the ps2netfs commands of ps2client in ps2link.

I prefered to copy and handle files from the pc side with ps2client over doing it with the ulaunchelf filebrowser.

This makes me stay with the old modular 1.24 version.

If you consider to re-enable the feature, i think it would be a good idea to use EXTRA.CNF in current dir as hardcoded value. Just use EXTRA.CNF in current dir if it exists. This would make it possible to use the generic IPCONFIG.DAT all the other apps already use. You could even use the one in SYS-CONF instead of needing one in current dir (maybe use the one in current dir as fallback for the cases where the app doesn't get started from MC).
mad3d

Post by mad3d »

what about a version with ipconfig.dat file embedded ?
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Er... ps2link will fall back in internal defaults if it can't find the ipconfig.dat file -- which is the exact effect you are asking for....
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

Nvm.