Is there anyway i can browse the internet from my ps2?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Lukas_Jackson

Is there anyway i can browse the internet from my ps2?

Post by Lukas_Jackson »

I was just wondering if anyone knows how or if it is possible to browse the internet from your ps2, i doubt this is possible but i was thinking it would be really cool.

Post by Guest »

Yes it is possible.

Check out http://www.playstation2-linux.com/

You will need to puchase a PS2 Linux kit.

Browsing the web from the PS2 is cool at first, but gets
boring fast.

Gorim
Lukas_Jackson

Post by Lukas_Jackson »

well is there anyway i can just buy the linux software becuz i already have a mouse, keyboard, HDD.

Post by Guest »

Officially, no.

However, I once bought the JAP DVD's of the Linux kit off Ebay
because someone else evidently parted out their kit. Channel's
like that are your best bet.

Gorim
Lukas_Jackson

Post by Lukas_Jackson »

I wish i would have knew about this kit before i went off and spent 99 bucks on Final fantasy XI that game sucks i only bought it for the HDD
EugeneE3RD

Post by EugeneE3RD »

Lukas_Jackson wrote:well is there anyway i can just buy the linux software becuz i already have a mouse, keyboard, HDD.
The answer is no. If you want the PS2 Linux software, you will have to purchase the Linux kit because Sony doesn't sell the software seperatly.

Or, you or some else could try to port an open source web browser such as Mozilla to native PS2 but right now, if you want to browse the Internet using your PS2, you will have to purchase the PS2 Linux Kit.
pixel

Post by pixel »

Excuse me but, I remember of an oooooold software that was a browser for the PS2. I mean, it was a single CD, and it could really go on the internet and stuff. The main point of it was it could play MP3s, thanks to its embedded media player. That was exactly why it was *cough* *cough* "distributed". As an mp3 player. But actually, it was a full browser. I couldn't remember its name or whatever though. And it was fully japanese.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

I hope you aren't referring to Sony's Broadband Navigator (BBN). It runs on top of Linux.

Anyway, didn't the European Network Startup Disc come with a web browser?
pixel

Post by pixel »

No idea. And I threw it away anyway. All I remember is you could find it on quite-non-legal-places named as "PS2 mp3 player". I tried it just for the fun of it. But I think it was a third party software. Anyway, it was a pain in the ass, just to write a single URL.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

I remember reading somewhere that you could spoof the URL that the euro startup disc accessed, essentially enabling you to browse any website. I can't remember where I read this, but I'm sure google will come up with some info....

You won't get a toolbar, and flash etc doesn't work, iirc