Guest posting

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

hiryu

Guest posting

Post by hiryu »

I'd suggest disabling guest posting,

since some of our regulars (I won't name names) seem to have trouble posting when logged in, and post as guest instead.

If someone wants to post, let them register.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

I typically think guest posting is a good idea for most forums...

But if we are taking a vote... I have to agree that with the nature and subject matter of these forums it would be a good idea to disable guest posting, or at least restrict guests from posting in most of the forums.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
jar

Post by jar »

or wait until it's actually a problem?
dagamer34

Post by dagamer34 »

I don't think its a problem right now. Doesn't matter because registered users are causing problems now.

I didn't think we would need moderators and we don't even have 50 people yet!
while (your_engine >= my_engine)
my_engine++; :P
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I'd rather wait until it becomes a problem, at least until we have enough momentum here to not worry about turning possible posts away...
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I'd like to revisit this topic: Is guest posting a problem? Should it be disabled?

My plan with guests has always been to leave it enabled until we have enough momentum in the forums to not need guest posts, and then enabled until they become more trouble than they're worth. I think they're filling a role still. Simple questions with simple answers which will help fill a knowledge base people can search on. Guests haven't been abusive (yet), and haven't been asking dumb questions that other resgistered people aren't. As well, now that people are in the habit of logging in before posting you can't use that as an excuse anymore. :)

However, this is a community site. If the community wishes otherwise then we can disable guest posting. I just wanted to state my reasons.

Discuss...
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

I can only think of about 3 or 4 Guest posts that started new topics, every other Guest is someone who forgot to tick "Remember me" and don't automatically login the next time they visit.

IMHO, Guest is an accident waiting to happen, simply because it gives a few people a "shield" to ask questions that don't really belong here.

You're right though, there hasn't been any serious abuse yet.
dagamer34

Post by dagamer34 »

Keyword being "yet". I wonder how long that will last.
while (your_engine >= my_engine)
my_engine++; :P