Moved Discussion On guest Posting

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Oh look! A guest with a legitimate question who received a valid, helpful response. Its a good thing guest posting isn't disabled. :)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Logic dictates that if he just got his environment working, that he will make many many more trips to these forums when he runs into snags. Which means he'd probably be better off with a real account.

BTW, "warez" guest postings have begun to outpost legitimate questions.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Perhaps, but what's stopping them from registering to ask the same questions? Guests aren't (yet) abusing the forums. They're just sometimes asking the about wrong thing. Disabling guest posting will not fix that.
2BeyondTheGrave

Post by 2BeyondTheGrave »

The thing I dont get is that no matter how many times you tell someone that YOU CANT FAKE COPY RIGHT PROTECTION AND PLAY BURNT GAMES ON A NORMAL PS2 people still ask the same question and then get mad at you when you try to tell them you cant :roll:
I Finally Started makeing a Game..it took forever to get started stupid school
nosense

Post by nosense »

just have a fat banner at the top of the forums page saying no warez questions. simple.
besides, I fail to see the benifit in having an account. Requiring one to post provides virtually no safeguard unless you are somehow going to (pompous voice and bowtie on) 'approve' all users first.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

ooPo wrote:Perhaps, but what's stopping them from registering to ask the same questions? Guests aren't (yet) abusing the forums. They're just sometimes asking the about wrong thing. Disabling guest posting will not fix that.
No, I don't expect it to fix those questions, but discourage them. People act a lot differently when they can hide behind "anonymity". Besides we have greater control over the posts that way, as we can ban problematic users. I know that those questions will never stop, as long as we have a forum with "ps2" prefixed to it :).
hubevolution

Post by hubevolution »

I agree with mrbrown, is a matter of discouraging ppl, I mean at least you need to register and give out a valid email address and wait for registration email before posting ... that would be enough to filter out many potentially problematic users.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

On the one hand, discouraging people may seem like a good way to cut out problems... but do we really have the forum traffic to be able to afford to discourage everyone just to avoid the wrong questions from some of them? Its not like they're posting 20 times a day looking for warez. We're talking one or two messages a week.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

I'm not sure what you mean by "discourage everyone", since all of the active posters are registered users already.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Want more active posters? I do.

Willing to put up with minor annoyances in the hope that a few of these posters will register and start contributing? I am.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

I'm well aware of how much people listen to my opinions but...

Perhaps we'd all be better off if we kept these type of disscussions in their own threads.

If nothing else, it would then mean if someone actually searched previous posts for something such as, oh, lets say help with the ps2-independence exploit, they'd find posts helping them with that, as opposed to discussions about whether guest posting should be allowed or not.

That's just my opinion anyways. And I know how much everyone values what I think.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development