(split) Legality trolling.

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

lmx

Post by lmx »

ooPo wrote:The reasoning and general acceptance of using sce prefixes.
Well if this is the case, why not just dump the official sce includes into the domain? after changing tab sizes and removing copyright notices, maybe change the ordering of the calls a little just to really confuse sony.

You'll get there a LOT quicker!
djhuevo

Post by djhuevo »

lmx wrote:Well if this is the case, why not just dump the official sce includes into the domain? after changing tab sizes and removing copyright notices, maybe change the ordering of the calls a little just to really confuse sony.

generating names by dictionary attack is funy (and fast)
get parameters/returns by reverse engineering is funy
its called HOMEBREW, I don't see your point :P
sobreviviendo en la tierra de los trolldev
boomint

Post by boomint »

lmx wrote:
Well if this is the case, why not just dump the official sce includes <SNIP>
And the whole point of LEGAL - i.e clean room reversing and legitimate use of the developed libraries then goes out of the window...

How about THINKING before you post?
--( someone stole my sig! )--
lmx

Post by lmx »

boomint wrote:
lmx wrote:
Well if this is the case, why not just dump the official sce includes <SNIP>
And the whole point of LEGAL - i.e clean room reversing and legitimate use of the developed libraries then goes out of the window...

How about THINKING before you post?
umm monkey, you give me sad eyes. Most of this is of dubious legality and seems to be 'bending the rules' beyond broken. I've followed ps2dev and now psp dev, and I amazed things havent been shut down earlier, maybe pushing sony on this unnofficial psp dev is the last straw? I for one think an official solution could be in the works, and yet already be in jeopardy.

And I've coded games for donkeys years, and have a clue. I just bring myself down to the level of a forum idiot as I love winding people up. Offering help? Yes I could give you the source to my functioning PSP game, but I'll wait until you've got all the psp libs are documented first. My point is you've gone beyond what is legal, may as well serve this forum up on a bittorrent.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

If you'd mentioned practising law for 'donkeys years' then you'd have a point worth the trouble.

As it is, I've removed this wonderful conversational tangent in hopes of preserving a thread that WAS worth the trouble.
lmx

Post by lmx »

ooPo wrote:If you'd mentioned practising law for 'donkeys years' then you'd have a point worth the trouble.
I made a presentation to management on the legalities of reverse engineering hardware Atari Jaguar days. But that in the end it was was pointless. Seem to be ignoring the point, I could quote homebrew code all day, but how can you say me or any one of us has not just quoted from the SDK and added a few '?????'s.

If thjats okay, then I'm sure we can all paste together each others faked reverse engineered data the hard way tomorrow.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I've never seen the SDK, so I'm fairly sure I'm not cut-and-pasting from it.

Post by Guest »

Indeed. One thing I noticed about PS2DEV is that the long time folx have the skills to properly reverse engineer stuff without the need for snarfing SDK's, as well as the abilities to figure many other things out on their own. Anyone who thinks this is all cut-n-pasted from SDK's is underestimating folx here.

Never underestimate human ingenuity and passion.

Also, folx at this site discuss issues and ethics of reversing and opening the hardware platforms all the time. Not something that happens often or at all on many other sites that merely pay lip service. IMHO this is the mark of a site that is mature, serious, respectful, and aware.