PSP Stress Tests

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

L0j1k

PSP Stress Tests

Post by L0j1k »

Sorry for a little bit of fun spam in the middle of such a wonderful series of accomplishments, but here it is:

I just spent about 7 days in the field (I'm an infantryman in the US Army) at Ft Riley, KS, doing the things that infantrymen do. I (of course) took my PSP with me, wearing it like my favorite piece of equipment (which of course, it was). We did battle drills, field problems, crew drills, etc. I'm a Bradley gunner, but we also train with the dismounts. My PSP has thus far survived the following:

3 Indirect Fire drills;

~20 Direct Fire drills;

2 separate, accidental falls, one from about 4 feet, another about 11 feet (I was up in the turret playing and it slipped, hit the armored hull, then fell another 7 or so feet to gravel);

2 "Day Fire" gunnery ranges;

2 "Night Fire" gunnery ranges;

~5 solid days of high winds containing MASSIVE amounts of dust (you really have no idea how bad it gets at Ft Riley until you've been there), followed almost immediately by;

~48 hours of solid rain in a protective case (the nylon type that carries accessories and about 8 UMDs) -- HIGH humidity;

1 MILES-enabled (i.e. laser-tag) battle that lasted approximately 4 or so hours.

1 Low Crawl through grass, dirt, dust and bugs (for those of you with military backgrounds, no, I won't go into how I was made to low crawl);

--

Result: No noticeable damage whatsoever. My hands took far, far more damage than my trusty PSP. Then again, hands eventually quit bleeding and heal themselves. Apparently the little bastard can withstand quite a bit more than most reviewers have claimed simply by looking at it (didn't we all think it was quite fragile at first, though?).

I follow this with an open call to those of you who might have conducted a few unofficial stress-tests to post the conditions, standards and results.
--
Eyeore, arm photon torpedoes and lock phasers on the Heffalump. Tigger, Piglet, meet me in Transporter Room Three.

This post posted using 100% recycled electrons.
--

Post by Guest »

How did this end up in the Hall of Shame ? Maybe there was a good reason, but whomever moved it here should probably post a reason, and also thereby identify themselves.

If I had to suggest a rule for moderators (psst hey Oopo!) is that anytime a post gets moved around due to inappropriate content that the person doing the moving identify himself and state a reason.

Just my two cents. :)
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I believe I've stated quite a few times that a brief message should be posted when a thread is moved or locked, and generally there is.

Anyway, perhaps moving this one to offtopic would be best. I'll assume it was put here by accident. :)
jondafonte

Post by jondafonte »

I wish mine were that durable, i had walked around with it for a few hours with it in my pocket and it stopped reading the umd's.

Lucky I have a warranty