The Wish List/ To Do List

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Oobles
Site Admin

The Wish List/ To Do List

Post by Oobles »

So what needs to be done to make the ps2dev world a happier place? :)

My wish list includes:

* IOP Compiler patches updated to GCC
* EE 3.2.2 compiler fixed or updated. (seems to be some bugs)
* ps2sdk to get off the ground
* A comprehensive startup guide
* update ps2ip to latest lwip sources and improve speed

On ps2dev.org my current todo list includes:

* Fix it so it doesn't crash.
* Put back the Add File topic type
* Add a program topic type that integrates with send0r
* Create a news topic type so anyone can add news
* Add a search button
* Create an IRC view bot so latest meanderings can be seen online.

What's on your Wish List or To Do list? What should be on mine?
Oobles.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

* IOP Compiler patches updated to GCC

Yay!

* EE 3.2.2 compiler fixed or updated. (seems to be some bugs)

It would help a great deal if someone could provide a decent description of these bugs, perhaps even a piece of code that breaks.

* ps2sdk to get off the ground

mv ps2lib ps2sdk

See the newbie forum. Build on that.

* update ps2ip to latest lwip sources and improve speed

gcc -O666 lwip.o ps2ip.c -o ps2supahfastip.irx
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

We could start adding the oddities we experience to bugzilla :)
atlast we would have bugs in one place. and not in ppl's mind, well in theory atleast.
Kung VU
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

What exatly do you mean? Are you talking about a simple guide that says how to build the compile environment, and explains what you need to actually run code on the PS2? What else should it say?

I was getting rather close to writing something like this ;)
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Some things I'd like to see:
  • A tutorial on using the VUs, drawing polys with the GS, playing sound, or any other PS2 specific stuff would be very nice over the current "read the source."
  • More documentation in general is always good.
  • Directory listing support for host: in ps2link.
  • More ps2dev-ish look to these forums ;)
  • Attract more people to ps2dev, hopefully causing a chain reaction to create more final products :) (Anyone have comments on this?)
  • Much better save file manipulator to replace nport. With support to copy entire saves or a single file within a save, create save dirs, copy between memory card, copy files from cd, and lots of other improvements I can think of.
My ToDo list:
  • Get current project wrapped up and ready for release.
  • Finish working on older projects like PSMS to make more room on my todo list ;)
  • Start working on save file manager if no one else is.
  • Learn on the VU/GS stuff and write a gamish sort of thing so we have more finished projects ;)
  • Discover the secret to cold fusion and free energy, use it to power my PS2 on the go with an LCD screen.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
jar

Post by jar »

Something I'd really like was more binary distributions (note, I'm not wishing for fewer source-distributions, but for more binary to go with them).

For example: an updated version of the ps2devenv...exe. I have seen quite a few asking for help compiling *-gcc in #ps2dev and have myself had trouble getting iop-gcc to work. It's silly that people, who could be out producing stuff are spending their time setting up compilers. (I'll try to do an updated version myself, when my home DSL connection gets back up)

Also binaries of the stuff in CVS would be nice. This would allow people who don't have the proper setup required to compile it, to use and test it and file relevant bugreports.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

Drakonite wrote:Some things I'd like to see:
  • A tutorial on using the VUs, drawing polys with the GS, playing sound, or any other PS2 specific stuff would be very nice over the current "read the source."
  • More documentation in general is always good.
  • Directory listing support for host: in ps2link.
  • More ps2dev-ish look to these forums ;)
Im planning to have some examples with wxVU-1.0 when it ships.
for example a cube, click send to ps2 and you get a nice cube rendered on ps2. all with sourcecode ofcourse.

Thing with documentation is that few enough ppl already work with making stuff :)

Me and adresd have been talking about 2-way IO for awhile, it will happen eventually, ok reedit since I saw you only requested readdir functionality, but I want to make a blow for 2way io anyway, readdir sure could be useful.

and yeah more ps2dev-ish looks to the forums. force another colorscheme or something ( and get rid of emoticons ).
Last edited by blackdroid on Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kung VU
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

jar wrote:Something I'd really like was more binary distributions (note, I'm not wishing for fewer source-distributions, but for more binary to go with them).

Also binaries of the stuff in CVS would be nice. This would allow people who don't have the proper setup required to compile it, to use and test it and file relevant bugreports.
Im planning to add OSX and FreeBSD binaries of iop/ee-gcc on ttc, not that the masses will jump for joy, binaries for other platforms can always be added, as far as I know the filespace on ps2dev.sf.net is limited ( although we can always link ) so I guess im offering filespace.

Binaries of ps2lib, ps2link and pksh exists as of today, ps2drv would not hurt either, nor the others when they reach a mature state I guess.

binaries.ps2dev.org anyone ( or are we getting too many hosts now ? ;)
Kung VU

Post by Guest »

Actually there's a binary distro of ps2drv at http://ps2dev.org/kb.x?T=956.

The most important modules are included. I suppose soon it will be time for another release :). A lot of cool stuff (iuntar, fakehost) has been going in lately.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

What is this fakehost stuff?
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

Taken from the README in ps2drv/iop/fakehost dir.

"fakehost is filesystem driver for the IOP processor.

It accepts one parameter, this parameter is a path to a iomanx filesystem, for example pfs0:/
When run, it will install a filesystem driver to redirect the host: device to the given device's directory."

( yes another post, god its sooo easy sometimes. )
Kung VU
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Look at me! I'm Bee Dee! I can post!

:)
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

Call 1-800-MRBROWN Now! for quick Bee Dee fanclub membership.
Kung VU
dagamer34

Post by dagamer34 »

Should be half as easy to pick up as the GBA.

So far, there is only DreamTime's tutorials, and they don't cover how to draw a polygon. I kinda expected more.

Take a look at the GBA dev scene. I know its more advanced than PS2 but getting up there would be nice. I have spent 300+ hours programming the GBA in 3 months. I have had the EE compiler sitting on my hard drive for about a month and have yet to make something original.

See what I mean?

Oh, yea, I'm going to make more posts than anyone else!
while (your_engine >= my_engine)
my_engine++; :P
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

You may have a shot at having the most posts, but you don't really grasp the concept of how hard it can be to do anything useful on the PS2. Its a lot more complex than the GBA, or even consoles in general. The good news is there's a lot of exotic hardware to learn nifty new things instead of just playing with yet another framebuffer.

I suggest taking a look as gslib ( http://ps2dev.org/files/gslib_0.51.zip ) and see what you can whip up with that. There's some sample code included as well.

Also, you may want to take notes of what you do and what problems you work out while you're learning. It wouldn't be hard to turn that into a help-for-newbies guide that will gain you fame. You're going to find that unless you do stuff yourself, nobody is going to do it for you here. We're a lazy bunch. :)
dagamer34

Post by dagamer34 »

Woopie!! The lazy bunch!!!

Let me buy my PS2 first and then we can see about that "Help-for-Newbies" guide.

Donations?
while (your_engine >= my_engine)
my_engine++; :P
dreamtime

Post by dreamtime »

dagamer34 wrote: So far, there is only DreamTime's tutorials, and they don't cover how to draw a polygon. I kinda expected more.
Wish I had time to do a 3D+VU tutorial (had plans for tuts 3a to 3d).
Have a look at the DreamGL source code for how to draw a textured polygon. It's VERY easy.

dt