windows for ps2

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

coolcliff

windows for ps2

Post by coolcliff »

can load ps2 with windows xp
mharris

Re: windows for ps2

Post by mharris »

coolcliff wrote:can load ps2 with windows xp
not
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Even if you had an emulator, 32MB isn't NEARLY enough for XP. XP runs like a dog unless you have 512MB of RAM, and really prefers 1G.

Re: windows for ps2

Post by Guest »

coolcliff wrote:can load ps2 with windows xp
Hey hey...y'all misunderstood the grammatical structure of his sentence.

"Can load PS2..."

This is not the subject of the sentence, but the object. He is not loading to the PS2, he is loading something like a PS2.

"...with Windows XP".

Here is the real subject of the sentence. He is not loading the Windows OS onto the PS2, but he is loading the PS2 OS onto Windows XP!!!

In other words, this may very well be the worst grammatical reference and announcement of the ability to run a PS2 emulator on windows that I have ever seen!
coolcliff

ps2 windows

Post by coolcliff »

can i load window-xp on ps2 my cousion got 1G for his ps2 he got it throught a web site but he can't say but he can get me one it was designed by sony. can i load windows program into elf and irx file

Re: ps2 windows

Post by Guest »

coolcliff wrote:...my cousion got 1G for his ps2 he got it throught a web site but he can't say but he can get me one it was designed by sony. ..
Heh. Hehe. huhhuhuhuhuhh. hah. ah me.

Just remembering about my cousin relationships so many years ago...

:)
mharris

Re: ps2 windows

Post by mharris »

coolcliff wrote:can i load window-xp on ps2 my cousion got 1G for his ps2 he got it throught a web site but he can't say but he can get me one it was designed by sony. can i load windows program into elf and irx file
Sure. All you'll have to do is write an x86 emulator for the R5900. You'll also need to cobble together some Win32 device drivers for the PS2 hardware.

However, you'll probably have better performance if you re-write Windows XP so it runs natively on the PS2 hardware, rather than using an emulator.

Let us know how it works out.
pukko

Post by pukko »

Hm.. NT4.0 runs on MIPS R4000 (which the PSP uses)!

Anyone know where I should install it on mah memory stick to make it boot??

mouahahhahahaa

Post by Guest »

pukko wrote:Hm.. NT4.0 runs on MIPS R4000 (which the PSP uses)!

Anyone know where I should install it on mah memory stick to make it boot??

mouahahhahahaa
Well, I was trying to avoid going down this silly path... :)

You know, its quite possible I think to port Windows CE to the PS2.
I once thought of trying just for vicious amusement, but who needs another project that will never get far off the ground ?
Homebrewer

NT 4.0

Post by Homebrewer »

Somebody ever tried NT 4.0 PPC on a PS3 ?
PS3 60 GB PAL, original FW
J.F.

Re: NT 4.0

Post by J.F. »

Homebrewer wrote:Somebody ever tried NT 4.0 PPC on a PS3 ?
Just because an OS supports a particular CPU doesn't mean that everything with a remotely similar CPU works with it. There's more to a computer or console than the CPU. Look at the docs that come with NT and check the list of supported PPC boxes - see the PS3 in the list? There's a reason it's not. Do you see Sony advertising the PS3 as running NT? There's a reason they don't. Please! Everyone stop the silly "Does the PS2/PSP/PS3 run Windows?" posts!!! If it did, you'd see posts EVERYWHERE about people running Windows on their PS2/PSP/PS3. There's a reason you don't - because they don't!!!!
Homebrewer

NT4 PPC on PS3 ?

Post by Homebrewer »

Well, I have a MSDN version of NT4.0 PPC SP6 that's why I was asking...
and read somewhere that the PS3 Cell should be at least partially compatible to IBM's 970... but couldn't find the NT4 cpu compatibility list any more (obviously "PS3" or 970 won't be in a 1999 spec 8)).

Humm, but you might be right on this, installation without USB keyboard & mouse support would be difficult, indeed. 8) Even if somebody would be compiling a third-party USB host driver into a kernel-boot driver for NT, this would be senseless, if you cannot hit F6 on kernel startup to load this 8))... and patching MS Loader 4.0 is also too much... However would be nice, Standard-VGA and USB Support in safe-mode would be plenty enough for me (to run MS VS).

...but telling that it does not work, because nobody had the idea of it before (did not find anything on Google) or ever tried because the vendor obviously does not support this - also related to costs (just imagine the >100k dumbs calling the Sony hotline how to... 8)), this would also mean that IronPeter would never have attempted to work around the Hypervisor and develop PS3RSX, because Sony told that 3D acceleration would not be possible on OtherOs... Crazy ideas drive the world! (...however, XP on PS2 is really far way off 8)).

By the way, during my investigations on Google, I also stepped over some "rumors" that there was an early-alpha of Win2000 PPC that was never released to public and was dumped in the rooms of Microsoft... and I guess Win2000 Alpha RC2 Build 2128 would be even less compatible to the PS3 (if code even starts executing)...
PS3 60 GB PAL, original FW
radad

Post by radad »

'Alpha' is a kind of computer not a release stage. They dont make them anymore though. Early NT supported about half a dozen different computers. We had an Window NT on Alpha at work for a while. It could even run x86 executables using just-in-time compilation technology called Fx32.

And like J.F. said, a computer is a lot more than just its CPU.
J.F.

Re: NT4 PPC on PS3 ?

Post by J.F. »

Homebrewer wrote:Well, I have a MSDN version of NT4.0 PPC SP6 that's why I was asking...
and read somewhere that the PS3 Cell should be at least partially compatible to IBM's 970
The 970 is a CPU, not a computer. Both the Cell (the PPE inside the Cell at least) and the 970 are 64 bit implementations of the PowerPC architecture. So you can run 64 bit user mode code on the two. So if you had linux running on a computer with a 970 and linux running on another computer with a Cell, the same user app could run on the two. Linux would have to account for the differences between the two computers.

The old NT for PPC was back in the days of the 603 and 604 PPC chips. G3s and later need not bother trying. Forget about a 970 or Cell regardless of the computer they were in.
mickyching

Post by mickyching »

Hi guys,

Is there any way i can use my sims 2 games for mac on a ps2 or a windows computer?