Nintendo 64 emu for PSP?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Wally

Nintendo 64 emu for PSP?

Post by Wally »

Is there anyone out there willing to take the challenge on to dev an N64 emulator for PSP?

P.S its happening!

Wally
Last edited by Wally on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I'm too busy right now, but maybe later this fall if no one else has bothered...
Jim

Post by Jim »

What's wrong with Daedalus which has already been ported?

Jim
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

It still needs work. Many things don't work at all, and many others are slow. A few things work great, like Mario64, but they're the minority.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:I'm too busy right now, but maybe later this fall if no one else has bothered...
I guess StrmnNrmn is still hiding away :/

Give it a shot!

Wally
Illegal Machine

Post by Illegal Machine »

J.F. wrote:I'm too busy right now, but maybe later this fall if no one else has bothered...
Well fall starts in 2 days, and not only has no one bothered, no one will bother.

Please undertake this project, it's one of the only emulators that have yet to go fullspeed full compatibility.

Daedalus was "somewhat" ok, but Strmn hasn't released anything on it in a year, and makes NO updates on his progress. so just assume he abandoned it. but I do have some questions on how you would do it if that's ok?

Would you just take the src from R13 and start from there?
or would you start porting it from scratch yourself?
or would you look at the console specs, and code it FOR the PSP from day 1?

I've been waiting for Strmn to finish Daedalus for like 2 years. it's not going to happen ever. so PLEASE PLEASE for the thousands of us who would really appreciate it PLEASE MAKE AN N64 EMU

MDave

Post by MDave »

Just get the Pandora handheld when that comes out, it will be a lot easier for people to make an emulator without having to squeeze every little bit of juice they can out of a PSP, and cram everything into its limited RAM just to make a select few games playable. That is, if Pandora delivers on its promises :P
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I plan on getting a Pandora, but I'm not going to quit working on the PSP either. I'll start looking into what would be the best for N64 emu on the PSP - look at the state of Daedalus, check out Mupen64 Plus (that one is still being worked on, so it may be a better base), or something entirely done from scratch (would be best, but take the most work).
Moneyslap03

Post by Moneyslap03 »

how about 1964 emulator i believe that emu had best compatibility
Wally

Post by Wally »

Moneyslap03 wrote:how about 1964 emulator i believe that emu had best compatibility
Try porting it yourself xD

Its built for x86 architecture.

Wally
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Moneyslap03 wrote:how about 1964 emulator i believe that emu had best compatibility
The last code released for that was OOOLLLLLLDDDDDD. Despite the exectuable being on SourceForge, the project never actually checked any code into the project, old or not. That's on top of the fact that 1964 hasn't been worked on since 2005. So no, 1964 isn't a viable emu for porting.

The two N64 emus worth porting with reasonably up-to-date code are Daedalus and Mupen64 Plus.
Moneyslap03

Post by Moneyslap03 »

hmmm.... i see but when/if you port the emu will you be adding the intra font and possibly adhoc in the near future
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Moneyslap03 wrote:hmmm.... i see but when/if you port the emu will you be adding the intra font and possibly adhoc in the near future
Not sure about adhoc... need to play with the sample code for that a bit to get a feel for it, but all my stuff uses intraFont.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Moneyslap03 wrote:hmmm.... i see but when/if you port the emu will you be adding the intra font and possibly adhoc in the near future
Not sure about adhoc... need to play with the sample code for that a bit to get a feel for it, but all my stuff uses intraFont.
Wouldn't you be wanting to get the emulator at a decent speed before adhoc.. People.. Speed, sound and Compatibility = Better than Adhoc for now.

Wally
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote:
Wouldn't you be wanting to get the emulator at a decent speed before adhoc.. People.. Speed, sound and Compatibility = Better than Adhoc for now.

Wally
Of course! But networking will be part of it. I'm just more familiar with the more common sockets/access point networking than adhoc right now. I got the last few adhoc samples posted here, but haven't had the chance to play with them yet. Clearly getting an emu working decently is the first thing to do - there's no reason to support networking on an emu that either doesn't run or only runs at 1 FPS. :)
Moneyslap03

Post by Moneyslap03 »

i did say near future but maybe i shouldve been more clear sorry but when you get it at decent speed or full with compatibility. also will you be working on more compatibility then speed because daedalus wasn't so great on compatibility
Illegal Machine

Daedalus left much to be desired in general...

it had poor sound quality, poor emulation speed, poor compatibility, it was MOSTLY for use with the 1.5 kernel, and got MINOR updates once every 9 months.

I know making an emulator is hard work, and I can't do it myself blah blah blah.. but the fact is that I've seen the work ethic of other coders and I just feel that StrmnNrmn could have stepped up the effort a bit.

As it is, if no one ever picks up the challenge, then I'm back to praying that Ruka somehow finds the sourcecode for Daedaus, and decides to make it work properly
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Illegal Machine wrote:Daedalus left much to be desired in general...

it had poor sound quality, poor emulation speed, poor compatibility, it was MOSTLY for use with the 1.5 kernel, and got MINOR updates once every 9 months.

I know making an emulator is hard work, and I can't do it myself blah blah blah.. but the fact is that I've seen the work ethic of other coders and I just feel that StrmnNrmn could have stepped up the effort a bit.

As it is, if no one ever picks up the challenge, then I'm back to praying that Ruka somehow finds the sourcecode for Daedaus, and decides to make it work properly
Yes, it's easy to complain when you don't have any idea of the work that goes into a job. :)

Rukka is worse about updates than StmnNrmn... and the source for Daedalus is easier to get than Rukka's source for SNES9x. I'm glad Rukka isn't working on that anymore and that someone else picked it up.
Wally

Post by Wally »

StrmnNrmn does have a full time job too!

So you can't expect him to work on something every day.

Wally
Wally

Post by Wally »

Just wondering if you are getting anywhere with this J.F! :P

Wally
Illegal Machine

J.F. wrote:

Yes, it's easy to complain when you don't have any idea of the work that goes into a job. :)

Rukka is worse about updates than StmnNrmn... and the source for Daedalus is easier to get than Rukka's source for SNES9x. I'm glad Rukka isn't working on that anymore and that someone else picked it up.
complaining(a): expressing pain or dissatisfaction of resentment

well Im not in pain, nor am I resentful...

So I guess I was just expressing my opinion on the subject.

And I thought Ruka was the one that made all those test1 test2 test3 builds that work perfectly..
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Illegal Machine wrote:
J.F. wrote:

complaining(a): expressing pain or dissatisfaction of resentment

well Im not in pain, nor am I resentful...

So I guess I was just expressing my opinion on the subject.

And I thought Ruka was the one that made all those test1 test2 test3 builds that work perfectly..
I didn't say people aren't allowed to complain, just that people tend to do so more often when they don't know what it is that they're complaining about. :)

To my knowledge, Rukka hasn't worked on SNES9x since the Slim came out. All the latest Slim-compatible versions have nothing to do with him/her/it. Rukka only ever posted incomplete diff files, which prevented work from being done on SNES9x, and in doing so hampered SNES emulation on the PSP more than helping. His/her/its old v32 version might have been the best for old 1.50-based cfw PSPs a year ago, but is old stuff now, not worth more than a mention in an article about the history of PSP homebrew.
Illegal Machine

well I have this slim based SNES emulator that's super extra awesome, and just as fast if not faster than the Ver32 1.50 one..

and Chilly Willy and Captn Shoe didnt do it, I had heard that Rukka was behind it so that's why I asked..

lemme know if you want it I guess, unless of course you already have it..

Unfortunately there's no documentation on who made it but the "begging speech" is totally gone now (which I'm glad about)

Back on Topic... Have you given any thought as to whether or not you'll be undertaking the N64 Challenge?

I think it's do-able.. Strmn got really close with NO media engine support,

I have another question tho... Do any of the devs have the official sony devkit? and if not, why not? would it be possible to purchase, I mean if everyone on this forum chipped in and what have you.. just a thought. I dunno how dumb a question it is..
Wally

Post by Wally »

You know J.F = Chilly Willy right.

I beg to differ to your point you make about StrmnNrmn (Yes it is StrmnNrmn not Strmn :P . Tis not that HARD to remember his name), he got some way through the ME Support however he has a full time job too (Working for a game dev company on a major commercial PS3 project, although the last I heard from him was a couple of weeks ago when he was going on holidays, perhaps he'll voice in on this) It is only fair on StrmnNrmn that he has a holiday / break from doing what he does in the real world and Daedalus of course.

Daedalus is a free open source project, anyone can work on it as they please there is nothing stopping you researching how an N64 works, the processor and any PSP specific optimisations. Im not saying go for it, im just saying thats how difficult it is to code an emulator.

Please don't get angry at me over this, its just that too many people bother me over time and I needed to vent. Its even driven me off many IRC networks / MSN. I get shit like "Heard anything", "when's the next spiffup" when I have clearly said I'm not doing anymore spiffups because there isn't any need in my case. Thanks for letting me clear some hot air.

He's also rather difficult to contact if anyone hasn't noticed.

Wally

P.S Ruka is behind the slim version of the SNES emu, he's just not being very clear about it.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The version CaptShoe and I worked on was based on the latest code THAT WORKED. Note that NOBODY could get Rukka's diff files to compile into working code. Eventually, somebody did get something like v24 to compile, but that still wasn't the latest and had problems of its own.

The latest SNES9x for the Slim is found here: http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=111354

It's not clear who was working on that version. If it's Rukka, then I suppose he/she/it finally decided to do something on it again... which is why people shouldn't rag on devs like StrmnNrmn - you never know when they'll take a break or when they'll be back working on it again.

By the way, the code for that emu is also not being made easily available. So again we have the situation where if the dev takes another break, no one will be able to work on the project. :(
Moneyslap03

Post by Moneyslap03 »

hey J.F havent looked at this topic in a while but just wanted to know if your still interested cause your the only one who i know that can get this done
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

There's a group of three devs supposedly working on Daedalus (saw a thread on it over at dcemu). I think I'll hold off a bit to see if that's really the case. I'm busy enough as it is. :)
Moneyslap03

Post by Moneyslap03 »

Yeah i saw but was a little skeptical about it but im in the process of learning coding via psp-programming.com
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Well, the best way is to just dive in headfirst. :) Look at programs already out for the PSP with source. I recommend something simpler than Daedalus for people just learning. :D
Wally

Post by Wally »

Moneyslap03 wrote:Yeah i saw but was a little skeptical about it but im in the process of learning coding via psp-programming.com
Funny you say that, I have been pming the guy, he's still at school and can't compile the toolchain.... Only time will tell.