I want to work in Linux

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

tasumisra

I want to work in Linux

Post by tasumisra »

First of all thanks to all who are reading this comment..
can any body tell me how to start working with linux.. i want to work on code level .. could you please help me here .. :)

thanks alot...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

If you mean how to setup the PSP toolchain, the best tutorial is here:
http://www.guztech.nl/index.php?view=ca ... &Itemid=56

It's based on threads here, and will work for the PS2 with slight changes. If you mean general lessons in programming, we don't do that here.
tasumisra

Thank you very much

Post by tasumisra »

Thank you very much for reply..
I know basic programming language like C,C++...
nowdays i want to see the code how linux operating system work...

and if i can contribute something for the community ..or for my self for my statisfaction..

can you please help me from where i can start....
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I already did. Use the tutorial to install the toolchain and SDK. There are examples in the SDK, and plenty of PSP apps with source out there. You should also read old threads here, and use the search for specific things.
korn16ftl

Post by korn16ftl »

J.F. wrote:If you mean how to setup the PSP toolchain, the best tutorial is here:
http://www.guztech.nl/index.php?view=ca ... &Itemid=56

It's based on threads here, and will work for the PS2 with slight changes. If you mean general lessons in programming, we don't do that here.
wow man i see you help ppl here but when i ask a question like in my thread:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=10652

its an assinine comment or results in a bunch of flaming what a janky ass forum community the only person i have ran across so far that has been of any help in the whole community is ps2devman
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I didn't treat the person in this thread much better - I just pointed him at a tutorial for getting started in linux and said the rest is up to him. He didn't say it all looked like a foreign language, or ask about something there's an entire forum covering... both of which you did. Then you started whining when you were treated like the noob you are. The other guy didn't. See the difference? In fact, you're STILL whining!
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

Heh.

tasumisra: I've found that the search function on these forums isn't quite as good as we could hope, so I made a Google search specifically for PS2Dev.org, here: http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00382 ... -k31ipwaaa

It's proven quite useful to me. Hope it serves you well :)

Though, it sounds to me like what you're really asking is for help in programming for Linux, in general. This is something we really don't do here, and Google.com would be your best place to start in that endeavor.
I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
korn16ftl

Post by korn16ftl »

not whining just making a point that ppl in this forum are rather rude forum communitys are supposed to be abot learning and sharing what u know not being a dick making snide remarks

hell u didnt even give me a link for anything u just said oh ya for $100 an hr

im a member of a lot of forum community and this is by far the worst one i am a member of ppl here wont even provide a link to one person but will another the comment about me being a nob (how ever true) was merley a posted to move the thread to the top of the cause it was posted for several days with no reply
Smong

Post by Smong »

LBGSHI wrote:tasumisra: I've found that the search function on these forums isn't quite as good as we could hope, so I made a Google search specifically for PS2Dev.org, here: http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00382 ... -k31ipwaaa
Can you add http://psp.jim.sh/pspsdk-doc/ to it too?
(+[__]%)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

korn16ftl wrote:not whining just making a point that ppl in this forum are rather rude forum communitys are supposed to be abot learning and sharing what u know not being a dick making snide remarks

hell u didnt even give me a link for anything u just said oh ya for $100 an hr

im a member of a lot of forum community and this is by far the worst one i am a member of ppl here wont even provide a link to one person but will another the comment about me being a nob (how ever true) was merley a posted to move the thread to the top of the cause it was posted for several days with no reply
This forum IS about learning and sharing... among DEVELOPERS. It's not a place for beginners, and when beginners come here, they get treated according to how they act. Some don't make a fuss and we treat them okay, even if we're not completely helpful to them (some we're more helpful to than others based on how we feel and what they ask). Some make a BIG STINK, bumping threads that prove they don't know anything and aren't willing to work for it, and they get treated like dirt to encourage them to leave. Guess which type you are? ;)
korn16ftl

Post by korn16ftl »

reguardless ppl are ppl and deserve to be treated acordingly
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Okay already! I'm sorry for treating you so badly. I'll try to do better. Now, let's quit messing up this poor guy's thread. :)
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

Smong wrote:Can you add http://psp.jim.sh/pspsdk-doc/ to it too?
In the interest of keeping my search more pertinent to PS2 development, I simply created another custom search, which will comb through both PS2Dev.org and the site you requested:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00382 ... gf9qtodq04

Have fun :)

korn16ftl wrote:not whining just making a point that ppl in this forum are rather rude forum communitys are supposed to be abot learning and sharing what u know not being a dick making snide remarks
While I will admit that this forum is not always as friendly to newcomers as some of the other forums with technical video game leanings (other dev sites, hacking, emulation, etc), I also understand to some extent the reason for this: most of the new members that request assistance end up giving up soon after, regardless of the level and quality of assistance. Hence, I'd say literally 99% of all efforts to instruct aspiring new developers go completely to waste (as in, 99 out of 100 will never actually keep up the effort of learning). On top of that, most of the people asking for help either ask ridiculously broad questions
korn16ftl wrote:im just completly in the dark here on what is going on around me as far as all this go's there are so many terms and things im just not under standing would some one be so kind as to show me the stepping stones to understand what is going on around me and maybe make something of all this
...or don't make the incredibly small effort to Google before asking for someone to spend his/her valuable time helping you
korn16ftl wrote:what is libspe2 library or what is an SPU
...or do things like outright LIE for self-importance
korn16ftl wrote:ive sucesfully written ps2 MC exploits modded xbox 1 and all that stuff but tossing linux in the mix just ads more things that im not shure what im doin.
Actually, I've found the members of PS2Dev quite helpful, and I actually feel a little bad about asking for as much help as I sometimes do. I'd be perfectly fine with everyone outright telling me to Google instead of bothering them, but it hasn't happened yet, as I try to ask very specific questions, and provide as much useful information as possible, all while keeping in mind the new member stigma I mentioned above, and the fact that these forums are free for everyone, as is any help I may receive.

I hope that helps to put things in perspective, and I hope I haven't made you feel too uncomfortable or put you down in any irreversible way. You wouldn't like it either if your neighbor kept coming over and asking you how to use his tools, and never bothered looking at the instruction manual, and actually got mad at you for finally getting fed up and telling him to read the manual before coming over to ask you for help...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

LBGSHI wrote: In the interest of keeping my search more pertinent to PS2 development, I simply created another custom search, which will comb through both PS2Dev.org and the site you requested:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00382 ... gf9qtodq04

Have fun :)
Nice link - just the thing to cut-n-paste into replies for people who need to do some searching. :)
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

Anything I can do to help.