Suggestion: Noob free zone for devs / testers

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Wally

Suggestion: Noob free zone for devs / testers

Post by Wally »

Is there any possible chance there could be a restricted section where certain people (like myself and others who actually HELP the dev test the program rather than whine about loose features or ask for support on things that already have been answered?

Just a suggestion,

Wally
cosmito

Re: Suggestion: Noob free zone for devs / testers

Post by cosmito »

Wally4000 wrote:Is there any possible chance there could be a restricted section where certain people (like myself and others who actually HELP the dev test the program rather than whine about loose features or ask for support on things that already have been answered?

Just a suggestion,

Wally
if I understood correctly, the purpose of these forums is for developer matters only so the restricted zone is in fact the whole forums.

noobs have all a multitude of other forums to post their questions.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

But anyone, including noobs, can currently join, so that defeats the purpose. I think what he means is a forum that is invisible to most users here. The mods can determine who has access to it by their impressions of posts by the user. The user PMs a mod asking for access, and if the user seems to be a dev or a non-noob, the mod grants access to the invisible forum.

It's just about like that over at the SkyOS forums - they have TWO forums that way: the beta forum, and the alpha forum. Registered beta testers get access to the beta forum, special hand-picked beta testers get access to the alpha forum, and regular users can't even see the two forums.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:But anyone, including noobs, can currently join, so that defeats the purpose. I think what he means is a forum that is invisible to most users here. The mods can determine who has access to it by their impressions of posts by the user. The user PMs a mod asking for access, and if the user seems to be a dev or a non-noob, the mod grants access to the invisible forum.

It's just about like that over at the SkyOS forums - they have TWO forums that way: the beta forum, and the alpha forum. Registered beta testers get access to the beta forum, special hand-picked beta testers get access to the alpha forum, and regular users can't even see the two forums.
Exactly my point, I can't see this happening around here though.. Admin are lazy :p
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

But why would we want to make a forum hidden... Our forums act as a reference so if you start hiding things people will just reask, repost, etc....
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

jbit wrote:But why would we want to make a forum hidden... Our forums act as a reference so if you start hiding things people will just reask, repost, etc....
It would only be for threads like beta testing where you want to avoid noob-posts until later. If in the thread you discover something ground-breaking (like I did in my B2 thread), it could be posted in its own thread in the regular PSP dev forum for everyone. Since that happens maybe once or twice in a LONG thread, it's not THAT much reposting, and it makes it easier and cleaner to serve as a reference.
lotharx

Post by lotharx »

I'm a noob, and I support this idea. Instead of using the forum group policy system to post protect it from non-group members, you should just totally isolate it from the public like the other posts suggest. ^^
Jim

Post by Jim »

Daft idea. The whole point is to end up with this forum as a great reference for coding Sony stuff. Take any of it offline and it becomes pointless. If it's supposed to be a secret then keep it in email.
I think J.F has lost the plot with the noob bashing - J.F the Nirvana of great devs chewing the cud in an exclusive forum is a mirage. There's not enough devs around for that.

Jim
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

What would be nicer to have as a forum feature is something like a related threads option. This way you could create one thread for developer discussion and announcements, and another for Q&A, and link them together without having to sticky them as currently happens on a lot of forums.

It's a feature that I would really like on any forum, really. I just now thought if it, thanks to this thread.
Devilmandex

Post by Devilmandex »

Hi I'm noob! I say as far as beta testing goes this is a good idea. and if a noob has previously done beta testing they need to either be refered or produce substancial proof.

PS just joined and I love this place. I feel I'm really gonna learn here in the next year or so.
NoEffex

Post by NoEffex »

Instead of hiding them, how about keeping them open, but only certain peeps can post, so that way people like myself can reference while more advanced people can discuss without interruption.
Programming with:
Geany + Latest PSPSDK from svn
mickyching

Post by mickyching »

Jim wrote:Daft idea. The whole point is to end up with this forum as a great reference for coding Sony stuff. Take any of it offline and it becomes pointless. If it's supposed to be a secret then keep it in email.
I think J.F has lost the plot with the noob bashing - J.F the Nirvana of great devs chewing the cud in an exclusive forum is a mirage. There's not enough devs around for that.

Jim
Hi dude,

i would like to thanks for sharing and solve my problem here..
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

It certainly would stop the double-posts.