3D Studio Max 9 on PS3

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

m3s_4ev3r

3D Studio Max 9 on PS3

Post by m3s_4ev3r »

Hey all, just a wild thought here, would Autodesk 3D Studio Max work on PS3 and using all the 7 cores(7 right? 1 unused 1 for the HyperVisor) for rendering, that would be absolutely awesome! rendering times will decrease substantially if it is possible.

Thing is I would try it, but honestly i still have a 21" CRT, of course without HDCPI support and Linux will look like hell, but if anyone confirms the possibility here I will be gladly to invest in a new monitor :)).

I read a lot there forums, being also a PS3 fan (not 'fanboy' :)), I don't meddle in those things) and this idea just crossed my mind, I thought to wite it.

I can hardly wait an answer or any suppositions:)).

Best regards, Arthur.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

No, it won't work...... but I've heard some people are working on offline renderers (think mentalray, renderman, etc) so you could offload render work from a PC to the PS3. But I have no idea how realistic this is or how far along.
m3s_4ev3r

Post by m3s_4ev3r »

Well....

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/ ... 2-13.shtml

the post is kind of old, 6 years old actually, but there is mental ray support in linux.

Should the linux make the mental ray 'communicate' or whatever (not so good at this things, although I am techincal in nature) with the hardware, in this case, PS3's hardware?

another google search that says it's possible:
http://www.cell-processor.net/news.php?extend.22

Huh: and this post says it s not possible: http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php? ... adid=31638
:(
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

Well, getting it running on Linux on PS3 usually just involves a recompile. But then it'd only be using the PPU and will run like a dog's breakfast. But it will run, yes.

If you want it to run well, then the code needs to be changed to divide work up into small chunks, dispatch as many as possible to SPUs and then deal with the results. This would most likely require substancial effort.

Then there's the matter of RAM usage. I'm not really sure what the memory requirements for rendering certain types of scenes are, but once you get bast 256MB, your're going to be swapping like a mofo.

In short: Possible yes, easy (for a performant port) no.
Damn, I need a decent signature!
ambeerli

Post by ambeerli »

How to add real Human Characters, moving around in 3D Max 6.? Can anyone tell me the method or site or web link where i can chat on topics on 3D Max.Please tell me how to add real 3d characters (videos) to 3d Max?Such as a room made in 3D Max and a man walking in it.The man is real human, but from another video.Please help, Is it a technique then tell me how to achieve it.