Which os do you use?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Which OS do you use?

Windows
62%
*nix
36%
*bsd
3%
Mac
No votes

Total votes: 39

Agoln

Which os do you use?

Post by Agoln »

I was just reading a bit on the PSP boards, and it got me to wondering, which os do you use when developing your applications?

edit:
I guess I should specify what I use... I use Ubuntu 5.04. I just hate trying to emulate *nix in windows... it just seems so dirty to me......
Last edited by Agoln on Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mak0

Post by Mak0 »

Linux, more specifically Debian 3.1
wulf

Post by wulf »

I use linux for most of my computers, but I also have a mac with panther and a laptop with w2k
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

My opteron box has Fedora Core 3 (linux) on it. I used to have Windows XP on it until the Windows drive died. I mostly just use linux anyway, so I haven't replaced it yet.

I have an iMac DV+ set to dual-boot between OSX 10.3 and Fedora Core 4. I tend to use Fedora Core 4 more than OSX on it.

I also have a laptop set to quad-boot Windows XP, Fedora Core 3, AROS, and SkyOS.

I also have other computers with various OSes, but I don't use them much. The three above are the ones I normally use most often.
jboldiga

Post by jboldiga »

Box 1: Gentoo
Box 2: OS X Panther
DLM

Post by DLM »

No votes for the Mac? Come one guys...

PC 1: Ubuntu Hoary/Windows XP (the latter is primarily for games)
PC 2: SuSe 9.3
PC 3: 486 PC, running DOS 6.2/WIndows 3.1. hooray.

Post by Guest »

DLM wrote:No votes for the Mac? Come one guys...
Huh ? I counted two of them already ?

Actually, there is a large Mac presence in the core ps2dev teams, but they are also typically not religous about their Macs I think.
rinco

Post by rinco »

maybe us mac users don't give a toss about popularity contests...

or we interpret the options as: osx = *nix and mac = os9
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

rinco wrote:or we interpret the options as: osx = *nix and mac = os9
DIdn't think of that when I made it... eh, oh well.

I think that the mac user-base will increase a lot since they are going to x86 from intel instead of PPC. I know I'm gonna pick up a copy of OSx for x86 when it comes out.

I have always wanted to use a mac, but they are just so fricken expensive, and i'm a poor college student on a budget. I can only afford so much before I can't afford any more.

Post by Guest »

Agoln wrote: I know I'm gonna pick up a copy of OSx for x86 when it comes out.
I have always wanted to use a mac, but they are just so fricken expensive, and i'm a poor college student on a budget.
Better pick up that expensive Apple hardware that comes with OSX while you are at it, Apple won't sell OSX separately.

The cost of the Mac is in the engineering of the hardware, regardless of what the CPU is. It has nothing to do with PPC. Apple will still engineer high-end Mac systems using x86 CPU's, and OSX will only run on the hardware that Apple sells, and it will still be on the expensive side compared to similar systems.

You want a Mac on a budget ? Buy an old one. Works just fine for anything except CPU intensive games.
KaL

Post by KaL »

Windows XP on my laptop.
Ubuntu Hoary on my old PC. But I use it for another project.. so. I use the laptop for my everyday needs.
DLM

Post by DLM »

gorim wrote:
DLM wrote:No votes for the Mac? Come one guys...
Huh ? I counted two of them already ?

Actually, there is a large Mac presence in the core ps2dev teams, but they are also typically not religous about their Macs I think.
sorry, my fault. I was just looking at the poll responses.

I myself used to be a mac person, but over the last 6 or 7 years, I've shifted to exactly the opposite.
turkeyman

Post by turkeyman »

Windows

i get the impression these *nix users just like showing off and making a point of it ;)
notice how the poll is seriously in windows favour, but interestingly, none of the replies to this thread claim windows as their primary workstation..

i have a linux machine... pisses me off, dont really touch it... cygwin will do.. mingw would be really nice.

it would be really awesome for someone to build a cygwin independant tool set. (but i cant see that happening)
almazlamaz

Post by almazlamaz »

I have windblows xp and mandrake 10.0 on my laptop, but mostly I use windblows - about 99% of all use :)