Ahhh, freenode... the irc network of fun!

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

ooPo
Site Admin

Ahhh, freenode... the irc network of fun!

Post by ooPo »

Just a brief look into my logs:
-lilo- [Global Notice] Hi all. As reported previously, we're going to have major downtime in about 11 hours.... for an update on the downtime and on fundraising, please take a look at http://freenode.net/news.shtml .... thank you for your patience, and thank you for using freenode!

-lilo- [Global Notice] Hi all. We're stable again. Thanks to dmwaters for her excellent work on this upgrade!

-lilo- [Global Notice] Hi all. Last bit of wrap-up. If you were in #gentoo or #debian before the maintenance, you'll probably want to rejoin. You might have to try a few times. Thanks again for your patience and understanding, and thank you for using freenode! :)

-lilo- [Global Notice] Hi all. There's a news article up on http://freenode.net/news.shtml on the status of the PDPC fundraiser. Highlights: pie chart is now up to date again; new "byte" and "nibble" donation levels. Fiscal year begins July 1. Please take a look. Have a great night, and thank you for using freenode! :)

-lilo- [Global Notice] Hi all. Should we participate in Google's "Summer of Code"? I won't be very available for the next 20 hours, but please message me your comments. Thanks.

-lilo- [Global Notice] (And we need help in Python and possibly in C, so be prepared to be personally involved if you say 'yes' ;)

-lilo- [Global Notice] This is Google's link on their "Summer of Code" program.... we'd primarily need work done in Python at this point.... http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

-lilo- [Global Notice] Whoops, one final bit of information.... here's the project.... we'd have to figure out how to split it up into components, but it's intended to be modular anyway ;) http://partiallystapled.com/wiki/index. ... deRegistry

-lilo- [Global Notice] Good evening, all. News item on the freenode website: (1) Major server maintenance in just over a week and a half. (2) Nine days until PDPC's new fiscal year. We need your help to finish the fundraiser! ( http://freenode.net/news.shtml ) Thanks for your help, and thank you for using freenode!
There has been quite a bit of splits and other irc nonsense lately, too.

Its okay, though... at least we have long nicks and channel registration. All it cost was a dead channel in efnet and the willingness to accept that we're on someone's toy irc network where everyone is a close, personal friend lilo can hit up for cash or favours.

Post by Guest »

Maybe PS2DEV.org should just host its own IRC server ?

That way, if there is a split, you know something is REALLY wrong.

And the only people that will be pissing in Oopo's maple syrup will be his close buddies!
pixel

Post by pixel »

Just a short piece of advice: /mode ooPo -w
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

pixel wrote:Just a short piece of advice: /mode ooPo -w
If only that worked for lilo's messages.
pixel

Post by pixel »

It does, for most of them. Not all though, that's right. But turning the "radio" off will simply make things better.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

WALLOPS!

Its the casual attitude he has about the service that bugs me. I get the feeling that if he doesn't get enough donations from certain channels he'll do nasty things to them.
pixel

Post by pixel »

I've been using freenode since quite long on a quite large number of channels, and nothing bad ever happened... *shrug*
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

YET!!
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

pixel wrote:I've been using freenode since quite long on a quite large number of channels, and nothing bad ever happened... *shrug*
Except that hundreds of users became fed up with lilo's fundraising, for-profit BS and split off into various networks.

There hasn't been a great purge in awhile if that's what you mean :P.
chaos

Post by chaos »

ah, irc.. i used to oper on a ~3000 user network, and did some work on the ircd (i invented encrypted hostnames, if you can believe that).. it all ended when someone pissed off the wrong group of people. our servers got ddos'd for weeks, and basically no one could afford to keep the network running.

it was so long ago, i can't even remember the name of the network :\
Chaosmachine Studios: High Quality Homebrew.