dosbox, now with 100% less drama

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

KickinAezz

Post by KickinAezz »

Where do I check for/download latest compiled binary?
Intrigued by PSP system Since December 2006.
Use it more for Development than for Gaming.
AB10784

Post by AB10784 »

So I am having issues with the search so don't accuse me of not trying.
On to the question, since I haven't been following the thread for a while I just wanna say again thanks for all the work C and has compatability been improved with qbasic yet? or any other dos based basic programs? I think MSBasic.
GG-Xtreme

Post by GG-Xtreme »

Has anyone else got Windows 98 working on this? I have Windows 95 working on it, but the page about 98 with the download link to the updated EBOOT has been taken down.

Edit: nvm, I got it working, but it kind of sucks (98, not Dosbox)
Last edited by GG-Xtreme on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

I haven't been able yet to finish everything, but I've put up a new WIP binary for people to play with. The only change is a modest performance improvement.
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

andwhyisit wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:
andwhyisit wrote:Is there a way to have dosbox start with the mapped keys instead of pressing ltrigger + rtrigger + select + down every time I start up dosbox?
put it in the autoconf section of the dosbox.conf file.

Wally
I already know that. *facepalm*

I have the buttons mapped already. But I want to start dosbox and use those mapped keys straight away, without having to EVER press ltrigger + rtrigger + select + down.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Long time no see ... the drama queen is back :)

I've just given ur new build a try and I have to admit, I am very surprized: I see some speed improvement! :) Nice ...

BUT: After I've tried it with the files I've downloaded only (the 3 at teh first page + the dosbox.conf it generates after 1st start), I wanted to try ma custom config with Windows 3.11 and two drive images ...

1. at first, it only told me that it is unable to load c.img, my image for the drive c ... interestingly, it did not complain about the second drive, d.img that was loaded afterwards and has been generated with the same tool, about some minutes later with nearly the same parameters (only size of d.img is larger!) ...

1.a. I thought it may be a CRC error since I haven't dealt with my PSP for some time but beforehand copied a lot to and fro. But exchanging the file with a backup I have didn't help ... it doesn't seem to be an issue of the file but of Dosbox ... So what could it be?

2. Smart as I am */IRONY OFF* I just changed switched the lines in my config and wanted to see if it loads the images if d.img is loaded before c.img ... then I got this:

"Exit to error: dynarecCore: illegal option in dyn_grp4_ev"

Heck WHAT?! I only changed the order of the two files, NOTHING else ... now it doesn't even load d.img but crashes with this error right away!

I've read through the last couple of pages and saw that s/o else have the problem that an image file could not be loaded, too. But the problem didn't seem to be solved ...

So maybe crazy or some other coder around here: What may cause this error?

Thx in advance

[EDIT]: New information:

I previously had the Dosbox folder in my 3.71 kernel folder ... copied it over to GAME150 ... now it mounted both the drives BUT tells me that c is not a system disk! But it certainly is, since it worx with an older version of Dosbox (some release from '07) ... So, any hints? I guess the first problem I encountered seems to have sth. to do with the 3.xx kernel ...

[EDIT #2]:

S/o recommended Arachne to be installed and included in a package with Dosbox ... I wanted to have a look at it right now, but I cannot install it since it keeps freezing my PSP as soon as it comes to the point where I should select the screen resolution. Therefore, I cannot install it properly and am unable to test it ... if you have a solution for this, I'll look at it :)
RA

Post by RA »

I just wanted to indicate that it's really difficult for beginners to start with dosbox on their PSP, they've to read through the old mega thread to get an idea how to proceed...

Murdock, could you please upload your manual again? Seems that version 1.8 isn't on rapidshare anymore... Or maybe a new 1.9? ;-)
Khan

Post by Khan »

Hi crazyc! As a old-school gamer, I´ve been following your project with excitement since I got my PSP (very promising progress so far ^__^ ).

I´m just curious:

- Do you think J.F´s lastest achievements in B2 could boost PSP DOSBOX perfomance for good?

- Screen tearing when scrolling in-game is rather notorious...Is some kind of hardware acceleration ( OpenGL or similar ) feasible in PSP DOSBOX?

Thanks in advance ;) and sorry if I sound noobish :P

PD: By the way, I noticed broken compatibility (since 06-07 build if i recall correctly) in some games: Shadow of the Comet (hangs in settings menu) and Space Quest I (VGA) (black screen)
for example.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Khan wrote: - Do you think J.F´s lastest achievements in B2 could boost PSP DOSBOX perfomance for good?
No. They're completely different emulators with completely different methods of emulating the target system.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Yes, there is in deed a 1.9 version of DosBox ... to be precise, it is DosBox Manual by Howling Mad Murdock 1.9a ....

This version only has some minor changes. However, I'm just uploading it ... have fun with it.

Here's the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/133246584/D ... k_1.9a.pdf

I'd be kinda thankful if someone could have a look at my problems concerning drive images!

[EDIT]: I've played around with the dosbox.conf a little, change the line of the imgmount:

imgmount c ms0:/c.img -size 512,63,16,111 -fs fat
imgmount d ms0:/d.img -size 512,63,16,304 -fs fat

was it before, when the error occurred as described above ...

Now I have changed it to
imgmount c ms0:/c.img -size 512,63,16,111 -t hdd -fs fat
imgmount d ms0:/d.img -size 512,63,16,304 -t hdd -fs fat

... the drives seem to get mounted now, but I get another error:
"The image must be on a host or local drive"
"Can't create drive from file"
"UNable to boot off the drive CZ:\>_"

So what's wrong now?! This is frustrating!
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Oh come on! Is tehre no1 who can help me?

These problems do not seem to appear under 1.5 ... when I load it with that kernel, DosBox worx w/o problems ... but as soon as I copy the folder back to GAME371, I get these errors ... crazyC, is that an error caused by compling? Or haven't u found all 3.xx kernel errors?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Sorry, I just haven't had the time to look at it. I'll check as soon as I can.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

crazyc wrote:Sorry, I just haven't had the time to look at it. I'll check as soon as I can.
Thx! At least an answer :) kk, I'll wait patiently for whatever you may find.
Nerd42

Post by Nerd42 »

I am just downloading the new version now.

can't somebody marry this project with Danzeff's OSK so people will be able to actually type? i have no idea how to do that myself ... wish i did
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Nerd42 wrote:I am just downloading the new version now.

can't somebody marry this project with Danzeff's OSK so people will be able to actually type? i have no idea how to do that myself ... wish i did
Well, that's why ppl. do the tough job for you and get to know the program and write a manual ...

... so RTFM .... hope u know what it means ...

Sorry, but this complain can be more polite! How about saying "hey man, I and other beginners have a tough time learning how to type. How about another one? Why not?" ...

I mean I also wish we had one, but if u read the old thread, u'll notice that it is not crazyC's top priority to implement an alternate input system, since he and those who use DosBox quite often can type pretty fast with p-sprint ... and even though I an't, I somehow can understand his decision, since p-sprint is somewhat logic and a fast input system, once learned.
Khan

Post by Khan »

Hi again...just to say my earlier compatibility report was misleading. Those games just didn´t get along with "SOUND OFF" :P
Nerd42

Post by Nerd42 »

Murdock wrote: Well, that's why ppl. do the tough job for you and get to know the program and write a manual ...

... so RTFM .... hope u know what it means ...
There's a manual? The file I downloaded was called "17536_dosboxpsp260708.zip" and it does not come with a manual. If there's a manual, somebody better email pspupdates.qj.net where I get most of my stuff and tell them to stop distributing PSP DosBox without the manual.

(after googling) I don't see a manual anywhere, what are you talking about?
Murdock wrote: Sorry, but this complain can be more polite! How about saying "hey man, I and other beginners have a tough time learning how to type. How about another one? Why not?" ...
I didn't mean it as a complaint. Just a request.
Murdock wrote:I mean I also wish we had one, but if u read the old thread, u'll notice that it is not crazyC's top priority to implement an alternate input system, since he and those who use DosBox quite often...
On the PSP, I assume. Lots of people use DosBox quite often on PC and Mac and they have never heard of p-sprint
Murdock wrote:...can type pretty fast with p-sprint ... and even though I an't, I somehow can understand his decision, since p-sprint is somewhat logic and a fast input system, once learned.
oh wait ... are you talking about a manual for p-sprint? OK I thought you meant a manual for PSP DosBox. How was I even to know the input system was called p-sprint since no txt file comes with PSP dosbox?

http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/doc/index.htm

is there some trick to memorizing p-sprint? when I learned QWERTY it was those little bumps on the F and J keys that helped

(later edit) and come to think of it ... isn't it a GPL violation to distribute DosBox without a COPYING file that has the license and so forth?
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Nerd42 wrote: There's a manual? The file I downloaded was called "17536_dosboxpsp260708.zip" and it does not come with a manual. If there's a manual, somebody better email pspupdates.qj.net where I get most of my stuff and tell them to stop distributing PSP DosBox without the manual.
Yep tehre is a manual ... I wrote it ... I cannot force s/o to add the manual! Oviously, these ppl. seem to only download the files themselves over here and then repack them to be released at their website ... look @ the first page ... no rar file, just the single files as they are.
Nerd42 wrote: (after googling) I don't see a manual anywhere, what are you talking about?

ehm ... google? so much work? Just look up! ... *sigh*

Nerd42 wrote: I didn't mean it as a complaint. Just a request.
Oh, okay then ...

Nerd42 wrote:
On the PSP, I assume. Lots of people use DosBox quite often on PC and Mac and they have never heard of p-sprint

Yes, p-sprint is obviously not needed top type on a computer, since you have a keyboard ... the PSP hasn't one ... limited number of keys ... that's where p-sprint come into use ... it's in the manual AFAIR ....

Nerd42 wrote: oh wait ... are you talking about a manual for p-sprint? OK I thought you meant a manual for PSP DosBox. How was I even to know the input system was called p-sprint since no txt file comes with PSP dosbox?

http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/doc/index.htm

is there some trick to memorizing p-sprint? when I learned QWERTY it was those little bumps on the F and J keys that helped

(later edit) and come to think of it ... isn't it a GPL violation to distribute DosBox without a COPYING file that has the license and so forth?

Nope, not talking about p-sprint :) s.o.

nope, there's no trick, but there's an option to enable a little aid that tells u what key u can "type" after you've pushed one button on ur psp. my old releases/repacks had this switched on by default. The QJ folks don't seem to think this could be handy ... I think this guy with the green logo below his name with sth. like "emulator" written in it does repack crazy's stuff, too afaik ... so maybe take one of his releases. If I'm in the mood in the next half an hour, I'll do a repack again and upload it.

[EDIT] oh, and b4 I forget it ... in the manual u'll also find how to enable the option by adding a line in the dosbox.conf file ... ;)
Nerd42

Post by Nerd42 »

Murdock wrote:Yes, there is in deed a 1.9 version of DosBox ... to be precise, it is DosBox Manual by Howling Mad Murdock 1.9a ....

This version only has some minor changes. However, I'm just uploading it ... have fun with it.

Here's the link:

Oh right ... hahaha I assumed you were linking to a manual for *REGULAR* dosbox ... wasn't thinking clearly I guess. Sorry :) downloading now...
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Nerd42 wrote:
Murdock wrote:Yes, there is in deed a 1.9 version of DosBox ... to be precise, it is DosBox Manual by Howling Mad Murdock 1.9a ....

Here's the link:

Oh right ... hahaha I assumed you were linking to a manual for *REGULAR* dosbox ... wasn't thinking clearly I guess. Sorry :) downloading now...
okay, no problem then, I guess ... if u have anything that u think could be written differently, better, then just let me know what u'd recommend ... or if u think something should be added ... if anything is still unclear to u, u know?
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

New version of the Manual:

http://rapidshare.com/files/134003253/D ... k_1.9c.pdf

Corrected some bad spelling errors, added some minor information, etc. ...
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote: Thx! At least an answer :) kk, I'll wait patiently for whatever you may find.
I put up a new binary with probably fixes it. Dosbox was checking for 0 as open(3) failure rather then the correct -1. Also, I added modifier support to imagemap. Put a,s or c after the key to and alt, shift or ctrl to the keypress; as for alt and shift, sca for shift, ctrl and alt etc... (actually this is untested, tell me if it doesn't work).
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Thx for the fix, I'll check that ... but maybe tomorrow.

crazyc wrote: Also, I added modifier support to imagemap. Put a,s or c after the key to and alt, shift or ctrl to the keypress; as for alt and shift, sca for shift, ctrl and alt etc... (actually this is untested, tell me if it doesn't work).

ehm, sorry, maybe it's because I came home at 3 a.m., but what r u talking about? :)

Is this sth. like key combos? I'm very sorry, but I don't get it ... :(

As for the fix, I'll have a look.

[EDIT] ehm ... I don't know what u did, but it did not fix the problems that are caused under kernel 3.71 ... Now I get an "Exit to error: DynarecCore:illegal option in dyn_grp4ev"

Does that tell ya sth.?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote:[EDIT] ehm ... I don't know what u did, but it did not fix the problems that are caused under kernel 3.71 ... Now I get an "Exit to error: DynarecCore:illegal option in dyn_grp4ev"
What are you running that causes this?
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

crazyc wrote:
Murdock wrote:[EDIT] ehm ... I don't know what u did, but it did not fix the problems that are caused under kernel 3.71 ... Now I get an "Exit to error: DynarecCore:illegal option in dyn_grp4ev"
What are you running that causes this?
Well, since I don't see where the error is caused, I can't tell what line of code is responsible .... but I try to mount two hard drive image files and then boot DOS with Win 3.11 from the one mounted as drive c ...

My Autoexec section looks like this (in part!):

imgmount c ms0:/c.img -size 512,63,16,111 -t hdd -fs fat
imgmount d ms0:/d.img -size 512,63,16,304 -t hdd -fs fat
boot -l c

that's what is done and where it crashes ... as I said, in 1.5 kernel, this worx ... I can boot from c and get a c:\> dos prompt and afterwards can load my good ol' Win 3.11 ... strange if u ask me :(
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote:that's what is done and where it crashes ... as I said, in 1.5 kernel, this worx ... I can boot from c and get a c:\> dos prompt and afterwards can load my good ol' Win 3.11 ... strange if u ask me :(
Does it happen if you run win31 from the dosbox shell instead of booting MS-DOS?
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

crazyc wrote:Does it happen if you run win31 from the dosbox shell instead of booting MS-DOS?
ehm, nope ... the drives can be mounted now in 3.71, the error does not appear if I put a # in front of the last line ( boot -l c ) BUT then Win 3.11 crashes with an error.

The error message is German since I run a German version of Win 3.11 for Workgroups ... I can try to translate a little bit of it, but such messages don't make much sense if they r translated literally, I think:

"Invalid VxD-Dynamic-Link-call (or request) to device number 8001, service 1A14. Your Windows Konfiguration is invalid. Run Windows Setup again to solve the problem."

I think this is due to the fact that the setup of Win 3.11 doesn't match the DOS Emulation settings now (different sound-driver, VGA-driver, etc.)
So I think this is normal
Nerd42

Post by Nerd42 »

just FYI: rapidshare sucks. could you try a different file host from now on, or more than one? sharebee.com and shareonall.com are the ones I like to use except they seem to be down at the moment
KickinAezz

Post by KickinAezz »

Dosbox July 31 08 Build
---------------------------------

Memory Stick LED flashes CONTINUOULSLY

[Downloaded from PSPupdates]
Intrigued by PSP system Since December 2006.
Use it more for Development than for Gaming.
gnomeoncrack

Post by gnomeoncrack »

I was wondering if anyone had gotten wacky wheels to work with the psp.
I couldn't get it to run as i keep getting this message about cfg file not being able to read/write.

I make sure the file is not read only, but every time i run it, the error pops up, and when i check it on the memory stick, lo and behold its read only again.

anyone have tips or have run into the same problems?