Yet another thread on linux...

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Wingo

Yet another thread on linux...

Post by Wingo »

I've been hunting on Google for the past 5 or 6 hours on info about getting Linux onto a PS2. I've run into a few options. One is the possibilty of using LinuxMIPS on it.

http://www.linux-mips.org

This is a version of Linux ported to be used on a MIPS processor. The problem is installing it. I was thinking of connecting my hard drive onto my laptop and installing Linux on it., but I'm not sure how to boot it... Would it be possible to boot it via an ELF, USB stick or possibly the PS2 Linux boot loader DVD?

I was also thinking of somehow tracking down a copy of Linux for PS2, installing it, then installing my own chosen Linux over the top, such as LinuxMIPS, Gentoo or BackRhino a PS2 port of xRhino.

Now what I wish to know is if I am successful in any of these will I be able to access the memory card through it? Also I want to know if I can read any DVD/CD with these or whether the restriction on only Playstation disks will still exist?
Maximus32

Post by Maximus32 »

The only way right now to boot/install linux on the ps2 is by using the original ps2 Linux kit from sony.

After it has been installed you could upgrade to a slightly newer version, like xRhino, gentoo, or the (2.4.17) kernel found at the sony site. You can forget about the regular kernels like the one found at linux-mips, they don't include a ps2 port.

People are still working on getting a decent Linux kernel to boot just like any other elf file, but there are still lots of problems with this. Until that problem is fixed, we're stuck using the ancient Linux kit from sony.
Wingo

Post by Wingo »

Thanks. I thought it would be a long shot. As far as periphial support goes, does anyone know if either Gentoo or BlackRhino support USB mouse and keyboard? I havent been able to find anything on either of their support pages.
Maximus32

Post by Maximus32 »

Gentoo is a distribution, not a kernel port. The support for devices depends on the used kernel.

About the kernels:
- 2.2.1 (original sony port) supports usb keyboard/mouse
- 2.4.17 (montavista port) supports usb keyboard/mouse
- xRhino/BlackRhino, I don't know, but it probably supports keyboard and mouse, otherwise the kernel/distribution will be almost useless.