spu_create() : Function not implemented

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

melik

spu_create() : Function not implemented

Post by melik »

Hello,

First of all, I'm running Feisty Fawn XUbuntu fresh from the Live CD with some basic programming packages (autoconf, build_essential etc...).

I've installed ppu/spu compilers, elfspe and libspe2 (not the 64-bit version) from www.bsc.es.

I'm getting this error for example when I try to execute the libspe2 examples from http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/l ... a-libspe2/
using listing 2 (spe_example.c) and 3 (ppe_example.c).

I compiled the same way as described except that I use ppu32-gcc :

spu-gcc spe_example.c -o spe_example
ppu-embedspu test_handle spe_example spe_example_csf.o
ppu32-gcc ppe_example.c spe_example_csf.o -lspe2 -o ppe_example

I'm getting the error when I do a #./ppe_example
or #elfspe spe_example

I'm totally stuck (I'm not really used to linux...) I'll appreciate if someone could give me a hint please.

BTW when I try to compile code using ppu-gcc I get the following error message:

error: gnu/stubs-64.h: No such file or directory.

After looking at rpm on www.bsc.es I found the file in one of the libspe2 64-bit package.
But when I try to install it with alien I get this error (translated from french so it may be slightly different):

dpkg-gencontrol : error: current powerpc build architecture doesn't appear in pp64
dh_gencontrol: command returned error code 65280
make: *** [binary-arch] Erreur 1

Thanks for your help
Keep up the good work.
melik

Post by melik »

Hi

After a long time searching I finally found this in the google cache (haven't tried yet, left ps3 @ work):
To have the spu_create() system call working, first the spufs kernel module must be loaded and the file-system of the same name must be mounted, so add in /etc/fstab

# Cell specific for the PS3:
none /spu spufs gid=spu 0 0

and to avoid waiting the next reboot:

mount /spu

I still haven't solved the missing stubs-64.h file and thus compiling 64-bit ppu programs.
notzed

Post by notzed »

I still haven't solved the missing stubs-64.h file and thus compiling 64-bit ppu programs.
If you haven't got it working already, try adding -I/usr/include/powerpc-linux-gnu to the include path (or add /gnu if it is looking for stubs-64.h rather than gnu/stubs-64.h). As far as i've been able to ascertain from the net this seems to be a gcc bug in this version of ubuntu.

But with this done the thing i'm trying to build still needs libspe2-ppc64 installed. alien wont let me convert the package ... although (just now) after it failed i copied the .so file and softlink from libspe2-2.1.0/usr/lib64 to /usr/lib64, and added another softlink libspe2.so there to it, and it built (and it ran - at last).