Release: RadMenu

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

radad

Release: RadMenu

Post by radad »

I have been looking for a pretty menu system for the PS2. I didn't find anything I liked so I have come up with this. This is the first release so test with care. Let me know of any ideas for improvements.

radmenu.zip
ubergeek42

Post by ubergeek42 »

Neat, support for other booting from other locations would be pretty nice as well. Any chance of the source code becoming available?
A config screen would be nice, but its not necessary.

Oh, and one little thing, the top right of the poweroff icon has some colored pixels where I'm thinking it shouldn't be.

I definitly like the time/date on the screen, don't see that too often in ps2 homebrew.
radad

Post by radad »

Updated to version 0.2

Now supports bmp, png and jpeg images.

Next I shall add support for other devices.

I will make the source available soon.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Very cool !

Share the source soon please.
ste180783

Post by ste180783 »

Congratulations for the great app! Add the usb support pleaseeeeeeeee!!!:-)
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Yes, USB please :)
radad

Post by radad »

New update: RadMenu 0.3

HDD and USB now working.
Putting radmenu.elf itself on the HDD is not supported as yet, but it does work on the USB drive.
I have done some limited testing on CDROM. I have launched a PS2 game successfully. I dont have a mod chip so I have been unable to test burned cds. I believe the internal CDROM driver only supports ISO format and Joliet.
ste180783

Post by ste180783 »

Thankyou for the usb support radad. great app
evilo

Post by evilo »

Hi radad,

Could you post some screenshots of it ? My PS2 is currently away for repairing, and I'd would be curious to see how it looks like ?

thank you,
evilo
radad

Post by radad »

How do you take a screenshot? I thought you could do it with ps2link but looking at the code it doesnt seem to do anything,
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

radad wrote:How do you take a screenshot? I thought you could do it with ps2link but looking at the code it doesnt seem to do anything,
Plug your Ps2 Rca on a Tv Card if you have one and press "Print Screen" & paste on Paint instead ;p
evilo

Post by evilo »

radad wrote:How do you take a screenshot? I thought you could do it with ps2link but looking at the code it doesnt seem to do anything,
Hi radad, actually my PS2 is connected to a TV card, so I just use the provided software for screenshots. With the PS2 connected to the PC, it's much more easy to develop :)
ubergeek42

Post by ubergeek42 »

I don't actually find it easier to develop using my tv tuner, but I've got a tv right next to my computer as well, which is what I generally use.

radad: If you want to use the screenshots on a website or something, go for it, they took me like 15 seconds to make.

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/u ... 2/radmenu/
radad

Post by radad »

Thanks, I will use those.
BTW Was that the correct time? It is actually displaying incorrectly.
ubergeek42

Post by ubergeek42 »

Yeah, it's displaying time incorrectly, the time is set correctly in the ps2's bios.

NTSC PS2 v7(scph 39001) Though I don' think that matters.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

ubergeek42 wrote:Yeah, it's displaying time incorrectly, the time is set correctly in the ps2's bios.

NTSC PS2 v7(scph 39001) Though I don' think that matters.
I don't know what time zones you guys use, but if the program just displays the time as given by the RTC, then it will always be diifferent unless the time zone is set for Japan. When setting the clock, the Sony code always adjusts its values to compensate for the time zone, in such a way that all PS2 consoles (when correctly setup) will use Tokyo time internally.

Best regards: dlanor
ubergeek42

Post by ubergeek42 »

Yeah, I think thats probably what the issue is.

My PS2 is set to GMT-5(Eastern time zone), and its set to daylight savings time summer mode.
radad

Post by radad »

I take into account all that. The only issue I saw was that it said "0:29 AM" instead of "12:29 AM".
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

radad wrote:I take into account all that. The only issue I saw was that it said "0:29 AM" instead of "12:29 AM".
That's not any real error, but merely a different way of presenting the same time of day (or night rather).

Customs differ in various nations, and since other things related to the PS2 RTC follow japanese standards I expect that this presentation too may be a japanese custom. Though it could just be a result of the simplest algorithm to convert from a 24 hour timestamp format to the AM/PM fomat.

Best regards: dlanor
radad

Post by radad »

New update: RadMenu 0.4

Added support for command line parameters
Updated to latest ps2sdk
Use USBHDFSD
Colorize icons
Use the non-x modules
Specify config file in command line parameter

Also I would like to see others setup. What background and icon images do you use? Have you experimented with sizing and positioning?
verdammt

RadMenu not finding its configuration file?

Post by verdammt »

Hello,

everytime i try to launch RadMenu with something else than ulaunchelf, i only get the error message "No Applications".

This happens when i try to boot it via the exploit (everything in mc0:/BEDATA-SYSTEM), Swapmagic 3.6 (everything in mc0:/SWAPMAGIC) or PS2KeyLauncher (everything in mc0:/radmenu).

I have no problem to launch it through ulaunchelf, no matter in which directory radmenu.elf (or any other name) and its configurationfile etc. resides.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I already looked at the sourcecode and found that it gets the path from argv[0] and appends "radmenu.cnf" to it, so i think that it should work.

Until now i was unable to compile the source, i wanted to try it with a fixed location for the radmenu.cnf.
I just installed the ps2toolchain for the first time according to "Building PS2 Toolchains In MinGW", but there's something missing here...

Thank you for this piece of software, and thanks to everyone who will be pondering over my problem.

regards
radad

Post by radad »

I use it via the exploit. Try running it through ps2link and see what it outputs.
verdammt

Still problems

Post by verdammt »

I also have problem running it with ps2client. This is the output i get:

$ ps2client -h ps2 execee host:radmenu.elf
loadelf: fname host:radmenu.elf secname all
loadelf version 3.30
Input ELF format filename = host:radmenu.elf
0 00100000 0008db20 .........
Loaded, host:radmenu.elf
start address 0x100008
gp address 00000000
Path: host:
open name host:/radmenu.cnf flag 1 data 44a78
open fd = 2
Get Reboot Request From EE
ps2ip_ShutDown: Shutting down ps2ip-module

On my TV i get something like this (difficult to read):

EE Exception handler: TLB load/ist fetch exception

Cause 70000003 BadVAddr 00000000 Status 70030c13 EPC 0011a4a4

There is also a dump of the registers.

When i remove the configuration file, radmenu starts and displays "No application".
radad

Post by radad »

I dont know what would be causing the exception. Try running it with the parameter '-noreset'. Normally it resets the iop which is why the output to ps2 client stops.
verdammt

Post by verdammt »

The EE exception seems to be happen when the configured icons are not where they should be (host:).

After putting the icons in the same directory radmenu works without problem.

I now found another version of PS2 Keylauncher, which lets me autolaunch radmenu after is has been started via the exploit.

Still don't know why radmenu refuses to find its configurationfile when started via exploit.

Is there some way to get the output of the printf's of radmenu when launched without ps2client just to know whats going on?

At least i know have a beautiful and functional launcher.

But i will further look into this issue to further reduce the loading time but this will have to wait about 2 weeks (going on vacation next week).

Anyhow, thanks for your help.
radad

Post by radad »

verdammt wrote:The EE exception seems to be happen when the configured icons are not where they should be (host:).
I shall have a look at that.
verdammt wrote:Is there some way to get the output of the printf's of radmenu when launched without ps2client just to know whats going on?
Not really. The only other way is to use the serial io but I think that requires some hardware modification.
verdammt wrote:At least i know have a beautiful and functional launcher.
Glad its working now.
tac

Post by tac »

Hi!

I like radmenu but there was no improvement. Why, it's a great application?

Is it possible to improve it to get an interface similar to the PSP?

Example:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/attachment. ... 1214830993
radad

Post by radad »

As far as I am concerned its finished. I dont plan on any more features.
tac

Post by tac »

OK, I understand but can you give me the means to compile the source ?
radad

Post by radad »