SIXAXIS under Windows

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Tindytim

Post by Tindytim »

After Lurking here I posted a tutorial on another site so I figured why not post it here?
http://boards.ign.com/Message.aspx?topi ... =163295180
As I don't have a PS3 ATM but controllers I wanted to get some use out of them. I ran across this:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=7099

However the instructions aren't flat out listed, and it took me a while to get it working.

What you will need:
SIXAXIS or Dualshock 3
Bluetooth 2.0 dongle or a Bluetooth 2.0 card (Some computers come with them)
USB to B-mini (The cable you use to charge your controller should be fine)
FreeBT (I'll show you where)
BtSix 1.4 (I'll show you where)
PPJoy 0.83 (I'll show you where)
MAKE SURE YOUR PS3 IS OFF BEFORE DOING ANYTHING WITH THE CONTROLLER!!!

You'll need to install libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.1.exe, get that here

FreeBT
Next with the Bluetooth dongle. Download the latest version of FreeBT here. FreeBT is an Open source Bluetooth Driver that will Allow BtSix to access the controller. If you just bought the device, when you plug it in it should start to search for drivers.
Do it manually, it should have an option to search your computer for the appropriate driver.
There should also be a box Below it that will search specific folders Make the folder (XXXX\src\driver\fbtusb, where XXXX is where you extracted the folder).

BtSix 1.4
Time to get BtSix 1.4 here
. We won't do anything with it for now, just extract to a safe place.

PPJoy
Now get PPjoy here. PPJoy is Free Software used to configure Joysticks for various ports.
Open up PPjoy and press "Add..." what ever the Dialog says just click Add.
The found new hardware wizard should pop-up, and press "Install from a list or a specific location". Remember where you extracted BtSix? Direct it to the Folder called "Driver XP" using the search function.

Putting it all together
Finally we get to plug the Controller in using a USB Cable.
Open BtSix, then press the "Address" Button, to Dialogs should come up with Hex code Unplug your controller and press the home Button.
You should now see the "Pitch" and "Roll" Bars moving based on where you move your controller.

Configuring the Controller

And here comes the more complicated part, the Controller Configuration
Open up PPjoy and select the controller you made earlier then press "Mapping..." select the "Modify the mapping for this controller" option and press next.
Pick 4 Axes, 13 Buttons, and 1 POV hat, I'd recommend naming the Axis 1-4 X Axis, Y Axis, Z Axis, and Z Rotation, respectively.
Then press next, Assign X,Y,Z, and Z rot to Analog 0,1,2, and 4 (I intentionally skipped 3) and press next.
Assign buttons 1-8 to Digital 0-7, then assign Buttons 9-13 with Digital 12-16 and press next.
On this one assign North-Digital 11, East-Digital 10, West-Digital 8, South-Digital 9.

EDiT:
PPJoy in more Depth
Analog
0 - left stick x axis
1 - left stick y axis
2 - right stick x axis
3 - UNKNOWN
4 - right stick y axis
5 - tilt x axis (left negative, right positive)
6 - tilt y axis (forward negative, backword positive)
7 - square
8 - x
9 - circle
10- triangle
11- R1
12- L1
13- R2
14- L2
15- Dpad left
16- Dpad down
17- Dpad right
18- Dpad up

Digital
0 - square
1 - x
2 - cricle
3 - triangle
4 - R1
5 - L1
6 - R2
7 - L2
8 - Dpad left
9 - Dpad down
10- Dpad right
11- Dpad up
12- start
13- right stick button
14- left stick button
15- select
16- PS3 home button

Most of the PS3 buttons are Analog, however I haven't run across a Single PC game that properly uses it without help from an external program. So it's best to keep them digital unless your Using them for something PS2 specific*Wink**Wink**Nudge**Nudge*

Adding Motion Control

If you want to add Motion control it is a Bit Difficult. Normal Key bindings with Rotation enabled are rather annoying, as any slight movement with the control cause it to register as the rotation. I don't use it or deal with it myself but here is how to add it. Open up PPJoy and Modify the controller, and Add 2 more Axes from the drop down Menu. Name them what ever you want (I Recommend X Rotation and Y Rotation as that is what they are) and press next. Assign One Analog 5 to one and Analog 6 to the other.

Using L2 and R2 as triggers

Simply Change Digital 6 and 7 to Analog 13 and 14 (If you are using the mapping a Gave you there are at Button 7 and 8).

An Alternate Method to this is to add two more Axis, then Apply Analog 13 and 14 to the two new Axis.

Most of the Heavy Lifting was done by 89ron and a few other members at PS2Dev.org. I just ordered the information in a more understandable format.
darious

Post by darious »

First i want to thank 89ron for the hard work he's put into this project.
I got my sixaxis working under Vista with my built in Bluetooth card.

And thanx Tindytim for putting up the guid, the only thing couldn't figure out is why your pointing PPJoy to the USB Drivers.

Pointers for those wanting to do the setup under Vista:

libusb-win32 DOES NOT RUN UNDER VISTA AND CAN SERIOUSLY SCREW UP YOUR COMPUTER.
If you already installed it, uninstall it if you can, AND removed libusb0.sys from both system32\ and system32\drivers\
the work around for this is to run the libusb-win32-setup.exe under Windows XP SP2 compatability mode, as admin.

Once you get that working properly everything else should install easily enough.

Also as a note: you cannot configure your virtual joystick while you have the Controller connected. you will have to restart BtSix before the controller will work.

Thanx again
rensje

Post by rensje »

first of all thx for the great instructions and ofcourse the awesome program 89ron.

But i have a problem, whenever i run half life 2 or gta san andreas, the game doesn't recognise the square and start buttons, it also doesn't recognise the analog-sticks. I think the problem lies with the games because all the buttons and sticks are recognised (and working) in Windows game controllers.

I'm using Windows XP, BtSix 1.4.0.1, newest PPJOY and the button mapping from Tindytim's tutorial.

hope somebody can help this poor gamer out :P
Tindytim

Post by Tindytim »

darious wrote:And thanx Tindytim for putting up the guid, the only thing couldn't figure out is why your pointing PPJoy to the USB Drivers.
I'm not sure, that worked for me.

If you happen to try it without you mind telling me how it works?
rensje wrote:first of all thx for the great instructions and ofcourse the awesome program 89ron.

But i have a problem, whenever i run half life 2 or gta san andreas, the game doesn't recognise the square and start buttons, it also doesn't recognise the analog-sticks. I think the problem lies with the games because all the buttons and sticks are recognised (and working) in Windows game controllers.

I'm using Windows XP, BtSix 1.4.0.1, newest PPJOY and the button mapping from Tindytim's tutorial.

hope somebody can help this poor gamer out :P
I've had issues with the square button (it's Digital 0) I found that swaping Button 1 (Digital 0) with Button 13 (Digital 16 (the home button)) in PPJoy fixed the issue with square.

As for the Analog sticks, it seems that some programs (including Game Controllers in Control Panel) don't acknowledge certain Names for Axis. If you go into PPJoy and Change the names of Axis to different things, the "Game controllers" utility may not recognize them. See how San Andreas of Half Life reacts to that.
darious

Post by darious »

I didn't even get the chance to point it to any drivers myself, Vista took care of that. I just looked the the drivers that you were pointing ppjoy to and they are usb drivers for freeBT. They have nothing to do with the setup and use of the HID that PPJ uses.

My best guess is that in XP it's finding it's own drivers elsewhere. Hey but if you have it working that's all that really counts. ^^

For those whose square button isn't working, what i did was i re-mapped it to a diffent button in PPJ, then in the game i mapped the button. seems to be a weird issue with PPJ. My square button is now button 13 (swapped it for the PS button). working just fine. i've also mapped the x and y rotations of the contoller.

6 Axes 13 Buttons 1 POV hats
X Axes -> Analog 0
Y Axes -> Analog 1
Z Axes -> Analog 2
Z Rotation -> Analog 4
Y Rotation -> Analog 5
X Rotation -> Analog 6

it's been alot of fun being able to steer my Car in Need for Speed using the contollers motion sensing
soda97

Post by soda97 »

this is great for emulators
but for some reason there're a few buttons that isn't working on NeorageX or NeorageXP that it used to work before
they are the up, left, select and start
all buttons work fine with other emulators

any idea why??

also does btstix work for 2 controllers?

thanks for the hard work,
soda
Tindytim

Post by Tindytim »

soda97 wrote:also does btstix work for 2 controllers?
BTSix 1.4 doesn't

However:
89ron wrote:Actually, i don't have second controller, but next month maybe i buy a dualshock3 :P (Force Feedback)

If you are interesting by beta testing, you can find next feature there :
http://bqron.free.fr/PS3/BT/.BETA/

0.5.0.0 :
- You can use, up to 4 Sixaxis / DS3.
- Enable/Disable Analog/Digital Button
Although you did post right after that........so didn't you already know this?
soda97

Post by soda97 »

so the beta version might work?

soda
alexlefebvre

Post by alexlefebvre »

This is fantastic.

I have bought a DS3 only to experiement with it and I must say that I am very impressed with it especially when used with Pinacle to make profiles for games.

Am I the only one to have noticied that as long as BtSix is running there is a high pitched noise coming from the soundcard? Usually, it is silent. The soundcard is a X-Fi.

Also, a friend of mine said that the DS3 is registering vertical movement. Is this true? So maybe this is what Analog 3 is for.

Just me 2 cents.

Many thanks 89ron.
mib45

Post by mib45 »

I am new to this forum, so
Hi @ all

Concerning 64bit: I searched the internet and found a libusb for 64bit. I cannot test it because I don't have a ps3 controller.
Please answer if it is working for you.

Link to libusb64

- mib45
sIRwa2

Post by sIRwa2 »

amazing work you guys did here, but i have a question i asked before, but was never answered.

Is it possible to use this for the BD Remote thats avalible for the ps3?

i can try if of coarse, but before i get it all installed and working, i might ask someone else here first, also because some people here really know a lot of stuff i havnt got a clue off.( like hid drivers bluetooth stuff)

main reason for wanting this is to make a killer media center remto. with more buttons than the wii. i undertand the wii remote does work nicely with xp.

Edit: i did install all software/drivers. seems all i need is pair with xp, cause bd remote doesnt have an usb to pair..?
tacoda

Post by tacoda »

It took me about 5 hours to get this thing work. I had a big problem with installing driver over xp's driver. My Xp keep finding the right driver it self. Later I gave up and just upgrade driver to original factory bluetooth driver. Then I tried FreeBT one last time. After that it works really well. I don't know why but xp keep force me to install their driver. Well I got it work now... after 5hours of hell...

Thank you Very Much 89ron~! You're da man!

HEy 89ron, I just tried with two controllers. It works well! Now I can play PES 2008 with my friends on my PC! Later I'm gonna tell my friend to bring two more controllers and gonna try with FOUR!

This is great stuff! Thanks again!

edit: Second controller has little problem with buttons. I dont know why. I did try to solve the problem by changing some setting on control panel and in-game control setting. Not sure what's wrong with it.
2nd edit: After I did some mapping. Now it works perfect! ^^ I'll re-post after I try with four controllers.
Schum4ch3

Post by Schum4ch3 »

Hi all,i can't make 2 wireless controllers to work together(i have 3 wireless controllers)..i even tried with 2 bluetooth dongles giving each controller a different mac address..is anybody able to use 2 controllers by bluetooth?
phoenon

Post by phoenon »

Schum4ch3 wrote:Hi all,i can't make 2 wireless controllers to work together(i have 3 wireless controllers)..i even tried with 2 bluetooth dongles giving each controller a different mac address..is anybody able to use 2 controllers by bluetooth?
Yes you can, you just need 1BT dongle...
You should download the last BTSix, and create 4 virtual joysticks in PPJoy. Then you just have to do pairing in each virtual device on BTSix,(see the picture).

------->>>Qestion
It's DualShock 3 working? A friend reported to me it doesn't. when connected it just keep vibrating, nothing else....any other report abaut DualShock 3??
------->>>Question 2
It's really working when mapping buttons as analogue? I feel they're just digital to
<<<<<------------
thank you
Tindytim

Post by Tindytim »

phoenon wrote:It's DualShock 3 working? A friend reported to me it doesn't. when connected it just keep vibrating, nothing else....any other report abaut DualShock 3??
I have a DS3 using 1.4 and it works fine, but there is no force feedback yet. I don't have the vibration issue, but I believe that was fixed with 1.4

------->>>Question 2
It's really working when mapping buttons as analogue? I feel they're just digital to
<<<<<------------
thank you[/quote]
Yes all of the face buttons (and a few others) are actually analog buttons. But registering them as such is a bit confusing.....
phoenon

Post by phoenon »

Tindytim wrote:I have a DS3 using 1.4 and it works fine, but there is no force feedback yet. I don't have the vibration issue, but I believe that was fixed with 1.4
Cool, but BTSix 1.4 just works with one controller. Do you have tested the latest version? (0.5.0.5b I think)
Tindytim wrote: But registering them as such is a bit confusing.....
I mapped tiggers as analogue 13 and 14, but they just work as digital...for feel them analogue I had to map them as tow axes more.
That's what I mean. I map buttons as 'analogue xx' but they seem to work as digital...
thank you
Tindytim

Post by Tindytim »

phoenon wrote: Cool, but BTSix 1.4 just works with one controller. Do you have tested the latest version? (0.5.0.5b I think)
No, but I may try it now. I don't have multiple controllers, but if it's just the rumble issue, that shouldn't matter.
phoenon wrote:I mapped tiggers as analogue 13 and 14, but they just work as digital...for feel them analogue I had to map them as tow axes more.
That's what I mean. I map buttons as 'analogue xx' but they seem to work as digital...
thank you
Does it say "Analogue XX Max" an "Analogue XX Min"? If I remember correctly you have to map the max and min to different buttons. The Axis actually treat it as an analog.

I'm unsure how to get the other buttons to work as 6-bit analog buttons.

EDiT: I just tried the other BtSix version (Could you rename it 89ron? Like MtSix? or MultiBtSix?) and it does cause vibration in my Dualshock 3. I've tried tinkering with the settings, but it doesn't appear to effect it.

The Motion controls also appear to be effected by the constant vibration.
phoenon

Post by phoenon »

Tindytim wrote: Does it say "Analogue XX Max" an "Analogue XX Min"? If I remember correctly you have to map the max and min to different buttons. The Axis actually treat it as an analog.
Min and Max is just for axes, you just can set one action, I mean 'analogue XX min' or 'analogue XX max', unless you map 2 buttons for each tigger, one with min and other with max...but this does not seem to work as well as map tiggers as axes...isn't it?

something like that:

The problem with this configuration is that some games doesn't let you set axes (tiggers) as buttons...
I use JoytoKey or Xpadder for map some butons, axes, or actios as keys, mouse...

any other idea?
thank you
tacoda

Post by tacoda »

Today I tried with four controllers. Unfortunately didn't work out. First two works well however third and fourth controller leds(four leds) just keep blinks.
bnimp

Post by bnimp »

Ok, I've got everything taken care of...

- the Free BT driver is installed (without the MS driver trying to be installed),
- 1.10.1 of the libusb driver is installed,
- PPJOY is installed (with 4 controllers created),

I start BtSix (I have 14a) and it shows a MAC address there and i click it and click ok, ok. I unplug the controller from usb, press the PS button, and BtSix says ".: Sixaxis is connected! :." on the top. LED1 is lit up on the controller, but i get no response from any of the buttons whatsoever. Anyone got anything I could try?

also, the test program that comes with freebt doesn't find anything when i click Inquiry. Hrmmm
phoenon

Post by phoenon »

bnimp wrote:Ok, I've got everything taken care of...

- the Free BT driver is installed (without the MS driver trying to be installed),
- 1.10.1 of the libusb driver is installed,
- PPJOY is installed (with 4 controllers created),

I start BtSix (I have 14a) and it shows a MAC address there and i click it and click ok, ok. I unplug the controller from usb, press the PS button, and BtSix says ".: Sixaxis is connected! :." on the top. LED1 is lit up on the controller, but i get no response from any of the buttons whatsoever. Anyone got anything I could try?

also, the test program that comes with freebt doesn't find anything when i click Inquiry. Hrmmm
Some BT dongles doesn't support BtSix, if you are able to test an other...I'm sure that's the reason.

x64
mib45 wrote: I am new to this forum, so
Hi @ all

Concerning 64bit: I searched the internet and found a libusb for 64bit. I cannot test it because I don't have a ps3 controller.
Please answer if it is working for you.

Link to libusb64

- mib45
This is very interesting, but there are two problems added.
1 - FreeBT doesn't work under x64 systems
2 - ppjoy same thing

perhaps someone could recompile FreeBT for x64, but there seem to be no solve for ppjoy under x64.Isn it?
wtf!!
bnimp

Post by bnimp »

I have the DLink BT-120... it's at least supported by FreeBT :-\.

The light on the controller will even turn off when I click Disconnect on the bottom of the BtSix window.
phoenon

Post by phoenon »

uncompatible bt dongles conect but doesn't respond to controls
xpir

Post by xpir »

Is there a way to do this without having BT on the windows host and use the USB instead? or sixaxis uses the USB cable just to register the host and all the pad signals mast go via BT?
amasokin

Post by amasokin »

Do BT Dongles which are not 2.0 are compatible with BTSix ?

If not, I'm gonna buy one just to connect my PS3 Pad to my Mac, but I have no idea which one to chose.

Do you think the last Belkin BT dongle will be okay ?
Does anybody own it and have tested it with BTSix ?

Thanks, and congrats to 89ron for his work.
bnimp

Post by bnimp »

phoenon wrote:uncompatible bt dongles conect but doesn't respond to controls
Ah, ok. So which ones do work? What do you recommend?
Tindytim

Post by Tindytim »

amasokin wrote:Do BT Dongles which are not 2.0 are compatible with BTSix ?

If not, I'm gonna buy one just to connect my PS3 Pad to my Mac, but I have no idea which one to chose.

Do you think the last Belkin BT dongle will be okay ?
Does anybody own it and have tested it with BTSix ?

Thanks, and congrats to 89ron for his work.
........and how are you going to use it with your Mac? BtSix is a Windows executable.........
ntran89

Post by ntran89 »

Freebt won't install because I'm using my bluetooth card that came with the laptop, any help?

edit

and there is no "bluetooth radio" or anything similar in the device manager, I've tried installing/uninstalling the bluetooth stack that is the default manager that coems with this laptop, but still no luck

I can't get the freeBT drivers to install no matter what i try, and btsix refuses to work without it (i believe, it says "no bt detected or already in use"

edit

upon further reading, this is all for use with external USB dongles

any support for internal laptop bluetooth?
phoenon

Post by phoenon »

bnimp wrote:Ah, ok. So which ones do work? What do you recommend?
ntran89 wrote:Freebt won't install because I'm using my bluetooth card that came with the laptop, any help?

edit

and there is no "bluetooth radio" or anything similar in the device manager, I've tried installing/uninstalling the bluetooth stack that is the default manager that coems with this laptop, but still no luck

I can't get the freeBT drivers to install no matter what i try, and btsix refuses to work without it (i believe, it says "no bt detected or already in use"

edit

upon further reading, this is all for use with external USB dongles

any support for internal laptop bluetooth?
My internallaptop BlueTooth stack works, but you must find it in device manager. This steep is required.

My laptop Bt device is Toshiba, tested one Vivanco and other creative, all three working perfect.
Asus c90s
ntran89

Post by ntran89 »

The only "bluetooth" i'm getting under device managers is this