SIXAXIS under Windows

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

k1

SIXAXIS under Windows

Post by k1 »

The SIXAXIS controller can be used on Windows PC.
As is the case with it under Linux(jimparis's post), it works as USB HID device that needs special initialization under Windows.

The instruction to make it to work properly is as follows:
1. Download and install the filter driver in libusb-win32 (libusb-win32-filter-bin-x.x.x.x.exe).
2. Download ps3sixaxis_en.zip from here.
3. Unpack ps3sixaxis_en.zip.
4. Plug the SIXAXIS into your PC.
5. Run ps3sixaxis_en.exe once.
6. Push the PS button on the SIXAXIS once if it seems to be sleeping.
robk6364

Post by robk6364 »

Thanks for the info... but I can't get it to work? I read somewhere else that this method worked (that's how I found this page), but when I tried it my PS3 SIXAXIS still won't respond on my PC... it's just charging.

Has anyone else tried this? Did it work? What might I be doing wrong?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
robk6364

Post by robk6364 »

nevermind I got it... works great! :)
(I just tried running ps3sixaxis_en.exe from command line rather than double-clicking the file in windows and then it worked... maybe it was buried too deep in my drive or something. Anyway, great work k1... thanks!
noon

Post by noon »

Hello

I'd like to get the accelerations values (X, Y, Z) of the controller using DXinput.
It seems not to be exposed by the driver. At least I cannot see it in the controller panel.

I'd like to understand what the ps3sixaxis_en.exe is actually doing ?
Is it used to register the buttons and axis to the input controller ?
Could you give some infos about this application ?

Thanks
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

That program send the wake up sequence to activate the sixaxis controller. Like the para para paradise controller before t, it requires a non-standard initialization sequence to turn on the device.
darth_angmar

Post by darth_angmar »

When I run the program in command line it says found 5 busses. I did everything the way it has said to multiple times, but no luck. None of the buttons work. Any help?
-Unlimited Power
::RMB::

Post by ::RMB:: »

Is there a way to use the Sixaxis Controller under Linux?

Sorry
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=7097
number854

Post by number854 »

could somebody tell me how to do this i don't know how to use command prompt and when i try to just double click the file a window appears and quickly dissapears.
AcidicRegent0

Post by AcidicRegent0 »

i have the same problem where the ps3sixaxis_en.exe appears for a second and then disappears i have no idea what's going on or how to run it on the cmd plz help
Gi, Yu, Jin, Rei, Makoto, Meiyo, Chugi
AcidicRegent0

SOLUTION SOLUTION

Post by AcidicRegent0 »

I FOUND THE SOLUTION FINALLY GO TO THIS SITE AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ENJOY :)

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta ... ing&page=1
Gi, Yu, Jin, Rei, Makoto, Meiyo, Chugi
barcajunior

Post by barcajunior »

Thanks.The solution did work.
eddd

Post by eddd »

I wonder if we'll ever get it working wirelessly over bluetooth. It can be done in linux so I don't see why not.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

somewhat related question.
I use my PC to charge the SIXAXIS (now DShock3) via USB.
I was wondering if while it's charging we could probe the device to check how much time is left for charging to be complete?
Vincent_M

Post by Vincent_M »

Is there a 64-bit version of this driver? I've just switched over to Vista, and it was the 64-bit version. I'm kinda stuck with it atm.
ps2asker

Post by ps2asker »

I have tried this with both my Dual Shock 3 controllers and its not working. Is it becuase its DS3's or becuase im using 64bit OS?
ralferoo

Post by ralferoo »

ps2asker wrote:I have tried this with both my Dual Shock 3 controllers and its not working. Is it becuase its DS3's or becuase im using 64bit OS?
It'll probably be because you're in 64-bit.

The DualShock3 behaves identically to the sixaxis, even down to the vendor, product and version identifiers, so any driver that supports one should support the other.
eddd

Post by eddd »

I got the sixaxis working over bluetooth on PS3 linux but having a bit of time trying to compile sixpair.c on my desktop. Can anyone compile this OK?

http://www.pabr.org/sixlinux/sixlinux.en.html
ps2asker

Post by ps2asker »

ralferoo wrote:
ps2asker wrote:I have tried this with both my Dual Shock 3 controllers and its not working. Is it becuase its DS3's or becuase im using 64bit OS?
It'll probably be because you're in 64-bit.

The DualShock3 behaves identically to the sixaxis, even down to the vendor, product and version identifiers, so any driver that supports one should support the other.
I see. No 64bit driver out right?
Also, I managed to get the controllers show up in windows "game controllers" list, but buttons/joystick dont work.
laichung

Post by laichung »

What do you mean "not working"? It cannot detect the pad or it cannot init after you run the init program? If it cannot detect the pad, it should be nothing you can do.

If your case is, nothing happen after you run the init program, I found a source code of initiating the sixaxis. It should be work fine if you recompile is using libusb-win32 with it's 64-bit driver, do you want to try? If yes, I can share the source code.

Joel

bluetooth working

Post by Joel »

with some help, i got the sixaxis to connect to windows using bluetooth.
HOWEVER this diver is for USB, not bluetooth, so it pretty much does the same thing as it did before this driver was released...(ie; nothing) untill *someone writes one (ahem.. K1)

There is a video of this here http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=tqQ03uO1NGo
And here http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=f-lQZzEznIM

The first person who did this is in Belgium and only speaks French. (I cannot understand French). But if you want to see what he wrote about this, it is all here:
http://www.win-web.be/forum/index.php?showtopic=11368

the important parts are translated into English here:

http://forums.vr920.com/Topic1690-2-1.aspx?Update=1

The English here is not so great, so I can help clarify if you want. Most importantly, I’ve figured out on my own, that you don’t need to boot into Linux to change the MAC in the sixaxis, it can be done in windows with GlovePIE. http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie

[march 16th edit: the above person said that we needed the widcomm driver at the same time, following the instructions below, you don't need it, bluesoleil alone works just fine)

so without further adu.. here is what to do!

1st, get GlovePIE and give the sixaxis your mac
(see documentation.rtf for how to do that)
don't forget that you might need to press the PS button the first time you run a script that uses the sixaxis

IVT_BlueSoleil_v5.0.5_Build_178.zip (try google)
(i had to add a hack because my MSI starkey isn't supported, but it works fine with the hack)
info on hack here: http://www.wiili.org/forum/bluesoleil- ... -t794.html

plugged in bluetooth adapter and made bluesoleil install it (ignoring windows new hardware window)

**edit, i made these instructions more clear so it works every time**

1)[discover controller] open bluetooth places, and make sure classic window is closed (if its open, this never works, but if closed, always works) press the PS button the sixaxis, then search devices. wait for it to finish
nothing new will show up in bluetooth places, but when you open classic view, you'll see a new HID device with only a mac address

2) [install controller] after pressing the PS button again, right click on the new HID device and click "search services" at first, it may fail, just try again while the lights are flashing on the sixaxis. you'll know its worked when the mac address changes to the name of the device. at this point, it will also show up in bluetooth places. but you are not done yet
3)[initialise connection] with the lights still flashing (press PS again if they stopped) right click on the new controller icon in the classic view and click connect, it should fail right away (immediate), it if takes a while to fail (about 2 seconds), it might be a timeout, so try again (while the lights are still flashing on the controller).. you can do this as many times as you want, but its important to do it once. (it will not connect at this point)

4)[restart bluetooth] right click on the tray icon and turn off your bluetooth, (for me i waited untill the windows made the ejection sound) then turn it back on again, (if you are using a USB dongle like me, you don't actually have to remove it from the computer)
you don't need any bluetooth windows open at this point, once the adapter is back on again, press the PS button on the sixaxis and it will connect right away (tray icon will turn green)
you can also view the properties in bluetooth places and see how strong the signal is, (my bluesoleil was patched, so it may have something to do with not seeing any packets being counted)

once this has been connected once, it will re-connect automatically every time after restarting the bluetooth fresh
(also, i did a little experiement just now, i went into the task manager and killed btstackserver while the bluetooth service was stopped, i then restarted the bluetooth, and pressed the PS button on sixiaxis, and hey, it connected!.. i wonder what would happen if i uninstalled the widcomm stuff all together.. perhaps some other time)

so yeah, we need a driver or something to get this working..
also, if you are interested in accelerometer and gyro data, use glovepie, its great.
Last edited by Joel on Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joel

Post by Joel »

so, i emailed K1, and he is a no-go, he doesn't have a bluetooth adapter. can anyone else tackle this?
has anyone else got this to work?
Arwin

Re: bluetooth working

Post by Arwin »

Joel wrote:also, if you are interested in accelerometer and gyro data, use glovepie, its great.
This is actually the only thing I'm interested in!

I do have a BlueTooth dongle, but I'm not interested in that part. Which parts do I need to get just the accelerometer and gyro data? I'll try glovepie to start with ...
Joel

Post by Joel »

when you download glovepie, (see link above) there is an included file called documentation.rtf, instructions for adding the sixaxis is there, along with explanation for how to write scripting. (if you know basic programming, its easy)
eddd

Re: bluetooth working

Post by eddd »

Joel wrote:with some help, i got the sixaxis to connect to windows using bluetooth.
Nice guide. One immediately obvious drawback however is that you've now set the control pad's bluetooth master to your USB dongle, so when you want to connect it to your PS3 again you'll have to do a brief charge via USB cable. The problem is when you want to use it in windows again you'll have to through the whole pairing process again.

The same problem applies with Linux except the pairing process is much quicker (simply have to run the sixpair executable, then run the hidd server as normal).
89ron

Post by 89ron »

Hi all,

I develop my own "drivers" for windows XP (32bit):

You can download it, there : http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=G0A2TZ7R

89ron

Post by 89ron »

Coming soon:

waynevan2000

Post by waynevan2000 »

Hi 89ron.

When i press the PS button the 4 LED's flash without connecting.

Any chance of spoon feeding a non Dev ? Is my dongle simply incompatible with your driver ?

EDIT: To ron's reply below. Thanks for the incompatibility info. I will order another dongle.
Last edited by waynevan2000 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob_F

Post by Rob_F »

89ron wrote:Hi all,

I develop my own "drivers" for windows XP (32bit):
Yay! I've been looking for some Bluetooth drivers to use with my Macbook Pro. It looks like it has analog controls for the triggers too! Sweet!

Thanks for sharing!
wuerzig

Post by wuerzig »

Hi there,

first, thanks 89ron for your effort, your "driver" works just fine!

I also have invested quite some effort in making the damn thing work using bluetooth. I ported the mac-address-changing-tool (ps3-linux-version) to windows, and continued using windows bluetooth api (failed, not even l2cap is possible from user mode) and widcomm sdk (got it to recognize the controller, but failed sending the activation sequence to the controller, because the widcomm sdk simply doesn't support that). I then also pursuied the method using freebt-drivers but lost interest.

I'd be very happy to contribute any of my findings and helping the development of BtSix. I have extensive knowledge in Windows coding in general (including USB, COM and IPC/IOCTL) and C++ (MSVC mostly). I'd like to give the user the possibility to select, for each button, analog or digital mode (ALL buttons of the sixaxis have more then two states!), and mapping of the motion sensors.
89ron

Post by 89ron »

waynevan2000 wrote:Hi 89ron.

When i press the PS button the 4 LED's flash without connecting.

Any chance of spoon feeding a non Dev ? Is my dongle simply incompatible with your driver ?
I'm sorry, but this driver "FreeBT" is uncompatible with LMP 2.510 or less. But works fine with any dongle that support Windows bluetooth stack.

My recommendations:

- Use only dongle with Bluetooth 2.0 specification or more.
- Never never remove dongle when you use BtSix ! (it can cause blue screen of the death)

Actually, BtSix support only 1 sixaxis, but in the future maybe more :)