PMP Mod v2.02b & PMP Mod AVC v1.02M subtitle mod+FW2.0+

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Raphael

PMP Mod v2.02b & PMP Mod AVC v1.02M subtitle mod+FW2.0+

Post by Raphael »

Hi folks, I thought I'd better create a new thread for this, since mallocs old thread wasn't up to date any more.

Here it is, the long waited for subtitle addon for jonnys famous PMP Mod and his new PMP Mod AVC.
Thanks to jonny for his help.

Homepage: http://wordpress.fx-world.org/

All Bugreports/Feature requests and alike should go to the dedicated devthread here: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Newest version is dedicated to malloc, and therefore labeled "*M malloc revival". Hope you remember him ;)

CURRENT VERSION (PMP Mod AVC 1.02M)
Here’s what’s new:
- fixed rightmost cutting bug with newest FontGen 0.4+ fonts
- fixed clipping bug in glyph blitter
- fixed crash bug when trying to play non-avc videos
- fixed uppercase bug in filelist
- fixed non-showing subtitles bug when playing a short part twice in a row
- added file sorting, subtitles and files are ordered by filename now, rather than creation time
- added USB connection in filelist
- added filesize/modification time display in filelist
- added video information display (resolution, codec, fps, duration)
- added resume function (start with O to skip resume)
- added saving and loading of playback settings (audio stream, aspect, zoom, lumi/volume boost, subtitle/color)
- added display of number of found subtitles
- added file deletion function (SELECT)
- changed sensitivity of buttons in filelist, fast scrolling only after pressing button 1/3 second

These additions are also about to be added to the standard version PMP Mod 2.02, however, there were some problems which have to be fixed first. So stay tuned.

Along with this release comes yet another version of FontGen, which adds back all Windows codepages from 1250-1258. This was neccessary, because some of the ISO8859 fonts weren’t compatible with subtitles generated in windows and led to wrong output of the subtitles (cyrillic for example).

PMP Mod 2.02b/PMP Mod AVC 1.02b
- based on jonnys 2.02 source with all improvements
- support for SubRip (.srt) subtitles
- asian language subtitles supported (japanese,korean,trad. chinese) [not highly tested, due to my lack of knowledge of these languages - please let me know if there are problems]
- support for up to 8 different subtitles per video (switch them during playback with CROSS+LEFT TRIGGER)
- change subtitle font and border color with CROSS+SQUARE and CROSS+CIRCLE
- file list is filtered to *.pmp files
- change CPU speed before playback (RIGHT TRIGGER in file list)
- ISO8859 fonts included in the release
- fixed a bug, which did not clear the black bars on 4:3 or widescreen stretch aspect ratios correctly, leading to overdrawing subtitles

UPDATE: FontGenerator has been updated to include support for generating ISO8859 as well as asian fonts. Usage is as before, click "Select a Font", select your font face, style and size (script/codepage as well as color is disregarded, so you don't need to select these). Press "Select a file" and chose a path to where to save the font. Finally, choose the charmap you want to use from the dropdown and press "Generate".
The "save bitmap" checkbox is for previewing the font texture (can also be used to generate a texture for your own font engine :P), be sure though that with asian languages, you will get 30-50 bitmaps.

For Version 0.3 I completely rewrote the font border rendering in the FontGenerator tool, yielding much better quality and also adds support for arbitrary sized borders. To do that, use the FontGenerator tool as before, but specify the border and blur factors in the edit fields. A border size of 1.5 and a blur factor of 0.3 seems to give overall good results. You can use a border size of 1.0 and blur 0 to get close to the old style. Border sizes above 2.0 and blur factors over 1.5 are generally not recommended, as these will probably lead to clipped and displaced characters.

Version 0.5 now fixes the character spacing 'bug' introduced with the new border rendering engine, and also includes support for GB-18030 characterset as well as loading your own charactersets from UCM files, which you can get from here:
http://dev.icu-project.org/cgi-bin/view ... /data/ucm/
Fonts generated from UCM files (like all default asian languages) will default your subtitle input method to UTF-8, so either convert your subtitles to UTF-8 format or change input method during playback with CROSS+SELECT.
I also updated all asian font files with the new tool, so redownload if you want to try :)

Here is a screenshot of the new colored fonts, also showing japanese output:

Also note, that since we now have a working downgrader for 2.6, I don't provide any further updates on the 2.0+ version, unless I get enough feedback that it is still wanted. Version 2.01 for 2.0+ will still be available though.

TODO:
- more accurate character placement (at least it looks really bad on asian languages)

Version 2.01 now also supports 2.0+ Firmwares with use of eLoader and both the GTA and TIFF exploit. This is a big step to let much more PSP owners enjoy the use of PMP Mod. Enjoy!

Many many thanks to tommydanger for his big help with getting this to work with the tiff exploit, too. This wouldn't have been possible without him most likely :)

Along with this I also have a new set of fonts available for download, that cover the whole region of ISO8859 charsets. So if you do not find a matching font in the release or just don’t know which one fits your needs, try with these fonts.

Here’s a listing of the fonts and their coverage:
ISO8859-1 Latin-1, Western European (Danish, Dutch (partial), English, Faeroese, Finnish (partial), French (partial), German, Icelandic, Irish, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Rhaeto-Romanic, Scottish Gaelic, Spanish, Swedish, Albanian, Afrikaans and Swahili.)
ISO8859-2 Latin-2, Central European (Bosnian, Polish, Croatian, Czech, Slovak, Slovenian, and Hungarian.)
ISO8859-3 Latin-3, South European (Turkish, Maltese, and Esperanto.)
ISO8859-4 Latin-4, North European (Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Greenlandic, and Sami.)
ISO8859-5 Latin, Cyrillic
ISO8859-6 Latin, Arabic
ISO8859-7 Latin, Greek
ISO8859-8 Latin, Hebrew
ISO8859-9 Latin-5, Turkish
ISO8859-10 Latin-6, Nordic
ISO8859-11 Latin, Thai
ISO8859-13 Latin-7, Baltic Rim
ISO8859-14 Latin-8, Celtic
ISO8859-15 Latin-9 (revision of 8859-1 including euro sign € and complete coverage of French, Finnish and Estonian.)
ISO8859-16 Latin-10, South-Eastern European (Albanian, Croatian, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Romanian and Slovenian, Finnish, French, German and Irish Gaelic (new orthography).)

For more information read on wikipedia.

I hope this covers all non-asian languages properly, though untested :)

Support for asian fonts is now also available, by downloading the appropriate font or generating your own with the updated font generator tool. Currently only UTF-8 encoded subtitles are supported for asian languages, if you get weird results, it's most likely because of that.

miniFAQ for PMP Mod 2.02 subtitle mod:
Q: What subtitle formats are supported?
A: Currently only MicroDVD (.sub) and SubRip (.srt) format are supported, but more will probably follow.

Q: How much do subtitles affect performance of PMPMOD?
A: In a series of benchmarks with jonnys own benchmark code, it showed that subtitles will decrease the average fps by 0.3 at most.

Q: That's cool, but how do you do that?
A: Just some organized glyph caching in VRAM and my own fast glyph blitter.

Q: How do I change the codepage/charset/language?
A: Inside the PMPMOD folder are different font files for different languages. To change the language, simply rename the 'font10.f' to 'font10_old.f' or alike and rename the right font to 'font10.f'.
If you want to display hebrew subtitles for example, rename 'font10_iso8859_8.f' to 'font10.f'

Q: Why so complicated?
A: Because it's simpler for me :) and because most users most likely only need to do this step once, so this shouldn't be a problem. A possibility to choose language in the program will follow later.

Q: What about other languages?
A: Each font file holds a charset of one or more Unicode pages, ie 256 chars. The file is generated from Windows fonts using a small tool. So if you have a font installed with your charset, you can create your own font file. Currently it's possible to save all ISO-8859 charsets, as well as SHIFT-JIS, UNI-HAN and BIG5.

Q: Does this also work on 2.0 with tiff exploit?
A: PMP Mod 2.01 works on Firmwares 2.0+, yes. Thanks to tommydanger this now also works with the tiff exploit.

Q: What's the difference between FW2.0+ and FW1.5 versions?
A: The speed. The FW2.0+ version cannot use the ME to do the heavy idct needed by the decoder, and even though some vfpu optimizations have been applied it stands in no competition against the ME version. I found the average speed drop to be around 8-9fps, yet it is enough to playback high quality anime episodes smoothly. It should also be possible to playback 768kbit encodings minimum smoothly, however I didn't benchmark that.

Q: Arrrrgggg.... where is the (nice) GUI?!
A: Lost in space. No. It's not included because it will get completely rewritten from scratch with better skinning support, a option screen and nice graphics and fonts.

Q: When will it be done?
A: When it's done.

PMP Mod AVC 1.02M:
Firmware 1.5:
Binary
Source

PMP Mod 2.02b:
Firmware 1.5:
Binary
Source

PMP Mod 2.01:
Firmware 2.0+:
Binary
Source

All versions:
ISO8859 fonts (included in new releases)
Shift-JIS font (japanese)
Uni-Han font (korean)
BIG5 font (trad. chinese)
GB-18030 font (trad. & simp. chinese)
Font Generator 0.6(win)
Last edited by Raphael on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:29 pm, edited 18 times in total.
<Don't push the river, it flows.>
http://wordpress.fx-world.org - my devblog
http://wiki.fx-world.org - VFPU documentation wiki

Alexander Berl
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Very nice!
xbox360

Post by xbox360 »

nice work&#65306;&#65289;
arex

Post by arex »

nice!

but i found subtitles always slower than videos when playback....

i convert a .srt file to .sub(microDVD format), it displayed correctly,but just a little delay....what's the matter ?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

@arex:
Either your original .srt subtitle is already timed incorrectly (just check that by using it on a pc player) or most likely the converter tool did something wrong at the conversion from time-space to frame-space. You should try another converter tool in this case.
In either case, could you please send me both subtitle files to [email protected], so I can try around with .srt format? thanks
argandona

Post by argandona »

Awesome work Raphael, as always. I've tested it with 15 videos, no noticeable decrease in performance so far. Timing is perfect. This is a great add-on, especially for the non-english speaking and hearing impaired :)
therock003

Post by therock003 »

How come you chose microdvd instead of SubRip which is the leading subtitle format?

Just curious,i'm not complaing!Keep up the good work!

P.S.Any estimate on when we're finally gonna see the argandonna gui?
csuper

Post by csuper »

It is working for me too ! Great JOB !
Converting SRT 2 SUB is not a big deal after all ;)
-----------
Now using PMP Mod 1.02 with some nice FPS gain with my slow SONY MS...
Thanx Jonny ! & Malloc ! & Raphael !
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

therock003 wrote:How come you chose microdvd instead of SubRip which is the leading subtitle format?

Just curious,i'm not complaing!Keep up the good work!
Just because it was much easier to parse in the first place. But .srt support is already in the work.

P.S.Any estimate on when we're finally gonna see the argandonna gui?
Read the last point of my miniFAQ (again) ;)
arex

Post by arex »

oh~~ i found the matter, I convert .srt to sub with " subtitle workshop" again ,this time timing is perfect! great~~

i do it with a tool of vobsub callded "subresync" , i think it didn't make the right fps.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just updated the first post with a link to a font generation tool. Have fun :)
therock003

Post by therock003 »

So we can now generate fonts by using custom made ones?

Anybody knows any cool font to generate?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Yes, you're pretty much free which font you use. Only thing to notice is, that each character shouldn't be bigger than 14 pixels (2 pixels are needed for the border), since the chars are placed in 16x16 pixel rect inside a 256x256 bitmap. But that's the only limitation, and is big enough for the small PSP display.
psp

Post by psp »

the mod is the best! thank you.

can you increase the 14 pixels limtation to 16
some of the letters are cut off (even for 14 pixels for some fonts)

once again your work is very appraised.
pegasus

hello

Post by pegasus »

nice work Raphael!!
Sweet!!

welcome back!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I finally managed to get PMP Mod running on 2.0+ Firmware with the GTA exploit. Tiff exploit isn't working though, but still better than nothing.

Hope you enjoy :)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

*bump* Now also works with tiff exploit, so if you downloaded before and want this to work with tiff exploit too, redownload.
Many thanks to tommydanger for his much appreciated help in tracking the error :)
Pit0711

Post by Pit0711 »

nett, danke Dir
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Yet another update. Now a modded PMP Mod AVC v1.00 version is also available. Enjoy highest quality videos with subtitles!
7oby

Post by 7oby »

Raphael wrote:I finally managed to get PMP Mod running on 2.0+ Firmware with the GTA exploit.
I did verify/test PMP Mod on a FW 2.50 GTA exploited PSP.

My test video sequence had the following parameters:
. 480x272 resolution @24fps
. 768kbit/s video stream rate
. MP3 128 kbit CBR

Trans- and encoded using VirtualDub/BeLight/XviD-Codec as described in the various PMP MOD Encoding guides.

Result:
. couldn't detect any stutter
. my analog stick did not work (to adjust zoom, aspect ratio)
. is there a way to detect skipped (due to lack of computing power) frames? display current framerate? Having run video at max speed and measure framerate?

768kbit/s video ist not a lot. I don't know what the max for a FW 2.00 PSP@333MHz currently is.

Great work raphael and jonny!

7oby
psp

Post by psp »

you can see great in 768 kbps, don't you think so?
7oby

Post by 7oby »

psp wrote:you can see great in 768 kbps, don't you think so?
Compared to the memory stick restrictions of the Sony build in video player:

. e.g. max 368x208 in 16:9 upscaled to 480x272
. only fixed 15 or 29.7 fps encodings (other rates will stutter, since some frames are displayed twice when upscaling: e.g. 24 -> 30 fps, each 6th frame is displayed twice)

the PMP MOD is absolutely awesome! The perceived quality is fantastic (sharp, no stutter).

However if you brighten the video during playback, you'll find some MPEG-4/ASP artefacts, which would very likely disappear when using higher video rates or MPEG4/AVC.

7oby
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

7oby wrote: I did verify/test PMP Mod on a FW 2.50 GTA exploited PSP.

My test video sequence had the following parameters:
. 480x272 resolution @24fps
. 768kbit/s video stream rate
. MP3 128 kbit CBR

Trans- and encoded using VirtualDub/BeLight/XviD-Codec as described in the various PMP MOD Encoding guides.

Result:
. couldn't detect any stutter
. my analog stick did not work (to adjust zoom, aspect ratio)
. is there a way to detect skipped (due to lack of computing power) frames? display current framerate? Having run video at max speed and measure framerate?
I was hoping for such encodings to run fine, but didn't have time to test it. Thanks for the confirmation :)
I'll check out what's wrong with the analog stick and the zoom function. Maybe I oversaw something. However it also was reported on the 1.5 version by some.
Regarding dropped frames, as long as you don't recognize any stutter, no frames should be dropped, since PMP mod is written that way, that it drops audio frames to keep sync when falling behind. So that's the main indicator for too slow playback speed.

I'm also interested in playback-speed with higher bitrates, so when someone makes some tests, please report your findings here :)
tanweeho

Resume playback

Post by tanweeho »

Hi Raphael (or other Modders), any plan to put the "Resume Playback" feature into a mod for AVC? I find this feature really impt if u r watching a full film....
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

This feature (and many many more :)) will definately be included in my upcoming GUI version, but this will take some time until it's finished. I'm not sure yet if I will release a "malloc's mods revival" version before that, but currently I'm not too convinced in doing it.
pegasus

hello

Post by pegasus »

wow cool update.. well can anyone upload a working avc video?? i'm having a hard time creating one, i'm lack of tools.

i just wanna know how small can the file is and how good it can be! XD
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I tried the Naruto Movie #1 Trailer, but I didn't optimize for best size.
http://www.fx-world.org/download/naruto_avc.pmp
It is ~5MB in size and quite big for the playback time, but the quality is great.
SpeedBrkr

Post by SpeedBrkr »

Question/Problem (using FW2.0 w/Tiff method):

I placed my video.pmp and video.sub in the VIDEO folder, but when I play back the video file with subtitle file, it loads and then quits. Upon removing the .sub file, the video plays fine. Am I doing something wrong or is the PMP Mod picky about certain .sub files? Thanks in advance for anyone that could answer this.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Are you sure your sub file is in proper MicroDVD format?
It's content should be something like this:
{10}{250}some subtitle text|next line of subtitle
{400}{600}some other subtitle text
SpeedBrkr

Post by SpeedBrkr »

Raphael wrote:Are you sure your sub file is in proper MicroDVD format?
It's content should be something like this:
{10}{250}some subtitle text|next line of subtitle
{400}{600}some other subtitle text
Upon further inspection of that .sub file, I did not see that header part.

Is the .sub extension exclusively MicroDVD's? When I play the original avi with .sub with WMP10, they display just fine. Do you know of a subtitle tool that would help identify the type and/or help convert to the correct format?

Thanks Raphael for your help!